News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

King Midas Masquerade Ball 2014 - report

Started by BarbarianQueen, October 13, 2014, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarbarianQueen

Well, back from a wonderful, if rainy, weekend of camping at TRF! The Camp NK&DD banner was flying high, and a good time was had by all!

In lieu of all of the discussion PRIOR to this weekend, I thought I'd give a brief report of the Masquerade Ball.

Venue and Crowd
The venue was quite beautiful! Being in theater, I know that lighting makes a set, and the TRF people did a great job lighting the entire place.  Maybe a little TOO light in the food hall - a bit harsh on the eyes and a bit of a shock.
I would say that there were about 325-375 people there. I'm sure that TRF will say otherwise, and if they say more, it will be because people came and then left rather quickly. Sitting on the sides, Lord Scott did a quick head count from room to room, and he came up with about 275 in the hall at one time.  Wasn't crowded, but a good size for the room.

Oh, and despite the "21 and up ONLY" designation, there were kids there -

Made me worry for some of the double entendre in the play, and my costume, to be totally honest.

Lack of seats!  There are only a few benches on either side of the main room, total seating about 20 people. If you want to sit, you better shell out $95 extra for the VIP tickets. This was tough when wearing very tall heels, and a lot of the women I talked to were battling tired feet, especially after a day at faire.

Not enough toilets!  The website says that they will sell a max of 600 tickets per ball, with a max of 100 VIP tickets.  So, for the potential 500 non-VIP folks, there were THREE stalls to use each for men and women. They were nice, sort of like going in a RV (they were portable, trailer-based), but very cramped and loooong lines to use them.  Spent about 30 minutes in line on one trip! So...empty yourself BEFORE you come, lol.

On "What to Wear"...
My strong suggestion - wear something formal, and throw a mask on. If you do, you will be like 70% of the others in attendance. for another 29%, just wear your ren-garb, maybe cleaned and polished up a bit, or accessorized with capes, shawls, etc. and then throw on a mask. Many beautiful dresses and fancy Garb in attendance

"What NOT to wear..."
My outfit - A mashup of a Brazilian Carnivale Samba dancer and Famous Video Game Character (Mileena, since she wears a mask)

Yes, this is what I wore, based on the comments of Terre Albert and others, and my experience with The Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball in California.  I can truly say that my choice of outfits was, ummm, "unique" among the revelers there.
There were maybe 10 people there dressed in something "fantasy", or fantastical, or "other".  THANK YOU to the king and queen of hearts!! - your costumes were fantastic and a joy to behold!  Maybe they had been to the Ball in LA??

Or...be the 1%! Dress in something unique, creative. fantastical or sexy.  Just be prepared to be shunned, ignored, avoided, talked about or made fun of (as I was) by those there dressed in the formal gowns or spiffed-up ren-gear .  Many thanks to the nice people who came up and spoke with me anyway! In the end, I'd rather be "uniquely me" and risk being left out than to try and be someone else for the sake of conformity, so I will stand by my choice and live with the potential pariah treatment, lol!
However, consider this as a warning if you are thinking of heading down the 1% path.

Food
We enjoyed it, and it was well done!  Lots of hors d'Ĺ“uvres, all well done and tasty!  You won't need to eat dinner before you come, if you don't want to. They kept replenishing it until about 11:00.
By the way, that's when the open bar closes.  From 7-11, you can get wine or beer or mead in tiny little cups :) all you want. After 11, its cash or credit card only, and drink will set you back $8!

Entertainment
The entertainment for the evening was a mixed bag.  We Really enjoyed "Sirena"(?) a trio of lovely young ladies who sang only to the accompaniment of their own tribal drumming, using a mixture of Djembe's, Doumbek's, large sticks, scottish drums, etc.  Not only did they all three drum and sing, they DANCED too, while they did it!  I was rather impressed and enjoyed them very much, and thought they fit in with the evening well.
The aerialists were also beautiful and well done, though I felt for them - I've worked with silk aerialists before and know that they can only spend a few moments at a time on the silk, and these girls did a routine that probably lasted 15 minutes. Well done, and I'm sure there were exhausted.

I won't say much for the other.  There is a loose story line that sort of ties things together, with periodic "scenes" that take place among the actors, Midas, Pan, and Dionysus being the main ones.  Due to the nature of the venue, though, (lots of things happening, no seats, no main focus), it was hard to follow the story line, and hard to hear over the crowd.  Every one was miked up, but they weren't necessarily well managed, and the equipment was less than stellar (as we say in the business, "No highs, no lows - must be Bose!"). The music played throughout the venue was very good and sounded better than the speaking voices, though.

Because of this, I think the story line and individual scenes were somewhat lost on the crowd in general.  When I asked around to see if i could fill in  the gaps, no one could really tell me what happened or where we were in the story (Or as one Scottsman said, "Who the F___ cares?  There's FREE BOOZE!!").   THis makes me a little sad, because I know how hard the actors have worked on their parts, and would like to know that they are contributing to the evening.  So, I will say, THANKS, ACTORS!!  You did a good job, even if folks were tuning you out a bit.
A suggestion - maybe lower the house lights somewhat dramatically each time a scene is about to start?  Or change the music dramatically?  Something like that to let folks know that the serialized drama is about to have another installment MAY get people to pause and enjoy the scene better.  Maybe these things were done, but if so it was very subtle. Also, maybe touch up the writing a bit? Not the strongest piece of the performance, IMO, and could be easily tightened up, made funnier, more menacing, etc. with a slight tweak-up re-write.

Costumes were fantastic! Pan looked great!  But I always think of Pan as a super masculine, ultra-randy figure, but that night he seemed to only have eyes for Dionysus, ahem...

So, there you have it. Hope these insights help.
The crowd thinned out significantly after 11, and only the Die Hard party-ers were left.  After it was all said and done, I'm glad we went, once.  I would have changed my expectations and dressed differently had I known the above info. Maybe I would have carried my own camp chair, lol, and when I had to "go", just got in my car and driven to the closest port-o-john back in the camp area, lol.
We probably wouldn't attend again. The entry is quite steep at $154 for a pair of the base rate tickets, and we were hoping for something quite a bit more magical and fantastical, rather than formal and "reception" like. 
Maybe the cost is keeping the younger, energetic and more daring folks out?
Then again, you don't have to be young to be energetic, fantastical and daring! (At over 50, I'm definitely proof of that!)

THE END

(I DID say it was a Brazilian Carnivale outfit. This is what they wear!)

Rowan MacD

I can understand your confusion about the unstated dress code here;  the name "king Midas Masquerade" does seem to infer a more licentious atmosphere than what you described.
   I had also assumed as much from the press; and I, for one, would not have been at all surprised to see more of the guests dressed as you were. 
   However, this is in it's first year, and growing pains are to be expected.  Sounds like they need a good stage director though; your suggestions are solid.

Here, we have the Annual Groundhog Prom (in it's 30th year) pretty similar in description to the Jareds Labyrinth fete... and maybe a little racier.
   Nothing but fantasy costumes (though full court dress Elizabethans have shown up) over 21 attendance is strictly enforced; mostly because of the yearly body-paint-only attendees, and the alcohol being served.
  A the Groundhog Prom, everything goes: From serious Con class Steampunk, 17th century Venetian and Brazilian Carnivale to Vegas Showgirls and boys.   It's adult Halloween in February. 

Is that the direction they want King Midas's Masquerade to go?  I imagine they will do whatever is needed to sell tickets.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

SirRichardBear

Thanks Barbarian Queen  I'm really sad to hear you were made fun of from the picture you look stunting and I would certainly have come up and told you so.    Because of the price I decide to wait and see what people, special people like you whose opinion I've come to trust,  thought before spending that type of money and time away from friends.    Maybe as the season goes on people will get more of an idea and the show will smooth out opening first shows are always difficult.   I'm not going to make it back till 7th and 8th weekend depending on what people say I might go then.  The price doesn't bother me so much as investing four or five hours away from friends I only see a few times a year.   I really need to stop at  Camp NK&DD some time and say hello. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

AngieT

When I read "What not to wear" and saw your picture, I was confused for a minute, and didn't realize you were showing a picture of yourself... I thought it was someone you came across at the ball.  And I thought, "I don't know what she's talking about; that costume is amazing."  LOVE IT!  You look fabulous!

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: AngieT on October 13, 2014, 01:25:17 PM
When I read "What not to wear" and saw your picture, I was confused for a minute, and didn't realize you were showing a picture of yourself... I thought it was someone you came across at the ball.

THanks, Angie! You're so sweet to say so! I'll clear up my original post. God forbid someone would think I was being harshly critical of someone ELSE'S garb!!!  That's just not my way :)

BarbarianQueen

And upon further thought -
I do hope that TRF can find some way to encourage it to be more fantastical and fantasy based.  That would pave the way for a whole lot more forms of entertainment options, as well as self-expression amongst the guest.
I was also hoping for some more interaction with the host characters, and that there would be more "street theater" style improv and involvement.  I would love to have had a chance to dance with Pan, or go up onto the stage area with Midas, or more interaction with the "Satyr Serfs" (what we called the servants of Pan who did a lot of the stage set-up, movement of set-pieces, etc.)  Or with the nymphs, who were so cute in their costumes, but failed to engage us  "mortals".

Maybe its just opening jitters? Shyness on the part of what would seem to be amateur actors in a new type of setting?  I would have loved to engage in some improv audience participation, or a script in which audience members play a part.  Somehow, "limbo" and the bunny hop conga line just seemed waaaaay too "real world" and I've-done-this-at-every-lame-wedding-reception-for-30-years for a Mystical Masquerade Ball.

As far a theatrical staging - more "'transporting experience" effects and dramatic moments.  TRF obviously paid a ton for the nice ETC LED par cans and other solid theatrical fixtures - it would be a minimal investment to by a few more things and be able to create -

- An indoor thunder and lightning storm, complete with earth shaking thunder (probably need different subwoofers than the Bose, though, lol)

- Kill the white lights, Haze the room and have a "Pan's Delirium" laser light dance segment with "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" by Skrillex (Might get some of the Rave Campers on board!). We can all throw ourselves into a little laser and dubstep euphoria on the dance floor!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/mMvq44Bvr-w?rel=0&start=293&end

- A blue-lit "Frozen" moment with low-lying foggers filling the dance floor/stage with thick chilled floor fog, and a female vocalist

- Use projected video to create moments of tension or scariness in the drama.  Use that sound and light system! Tweak the script to include such highly dramatic moments. In Labyrinth of Jareth ball, a full size dragon appears and scares the daylights out of folks. 

TRF thoughfully made the walls of the main room white - a perfect projection surface!!! The entire inside of that room could become anything you wanted it to be, from out under the stars to some fantastical place in the clouds to a flaming cavern full of Pan's minions.

Etc, lol

My point is, I wanted to be swept away into a magical world, but we just didn't quite get there. Maybe others DID feel that way?
However, I think it would be incredibly easy TO get there with some creative leadership and a minimal investment.

Would love to hear more comments and reports from other attendees!  Don't let my singular opinion be the only one on here.

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 13, 2014, 12:54:40 PM
    I can understand your confusion about the unstated dress code here;  the name "king Midas Masquerade" does seem to infer a more licentious atmosphere than what you described.
   I had also assumed as much from the press; and I, for one, would not have been at all surprised to see more of the guests dressed as you were. 
   However, this is in it's first year, and growing pains are to be expected.  Sounds like they need a good stage director though; your suggestions are solid.

Here, we have the Annual Groundhog Prom (in it's 30th year) pretty similar in description to the Jareds Labyrinth fete... and maybe a little racier.
   Nothing but fantasy costumes (though full court dress Elizabethans have shown up) over 21 attendance is strictly enforced; mostly because of the yearly body-paint-only attendees, and the alcohol being served.
  A the Groundhog Prom, everything goes: From serious Con class Steampunk, 17th century Venetian and Brazilian Carnivale to Vegas Showgirls and boys.   It's adult Halloween in February. 

Is that the direction they want King Midas's Masquerade to go?  I imagine they will do whatever is needed to sell tickets.

Rowen, that is exactly what I was thinking when preparing for the Ball. Your Groundhog Prom looks like fun! (looked it up).  Now I want to go!!!  Maybe I wouldn't be out of place :(

And Sir Richard, what you said is exactly right - I LOVE hanging out in the campground, going to bonfire, see folks, etc.  The Ball needs to be pretty amazing and a unique experience to get me to give that up.
Lord Scott said it, about halfway through - "It's like standing outside of the Prince of Wales and talking to Queen Bonnie and the gang in their ren-garb after the parade. Only, it's under a roof, late at night, and costs $154..."

Riff Raff

Thanks for the review. I already bought our tickets to the ball for closing weekend, but keep wondering if the VIP upgrades are at all worth it (another $200 for a couple? Yeesh!).

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Riff Raff on October 13, 2014, 05:14:26 PM
Thanks for the review. I already bought our tickets to the ball for closing weekend, but keep wondering if the VIP upgrades are at all worth it (another $200 for a couple? Yeesh!).

If Terre and whoever is in charge of the production are worth their salt, they will have found ways to get feedback from attendees and then tweak the production as they go.  By closing, it may be a very different experience.

I throw out a challenge to all attendees - MAKE IT SOMETHING SPECIAL! Those of you with a creative bent, go for it!

PollyPoPo

My only complaint about what you wore to the Ball would be that I would not have recognized you; the dark hair, you know  :o.  Every picture I've seen of you was blonde, blonde and blonde.  ;D

Thanks for the review.  I won't be making it to the ball this year, but have family that will.  Hopefully some of your suggestions will see action, particularly about seating and lighting for atmosphere. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Tink

I know this is considered a horrible question around these parts, but is there soda or anything served or is it only alcohol? (hey, if I don't drink it, then there's more for the rest of ya', right?)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Sir Martin

Barbarian Queen - thank you so much for the insightful review.  I feel confident Terre will take your comments under consideration and forward them to the appropriate personnel.  Your costume was very beautiful, and I cannot imagine that anyone should have spoken unfavorably about your appearance given that it is a fantasy themed ball.  You look superb.  Do you have any shots of Lord Scott in his attire that you can share?

I probably will not be able to attend the Masquerade Ball this year, but look forward to it in the future.  I do hope some of your suggestions are reviewed and implemented.  Nicely done!

cjacksonii

I'm personally thinking about going on Barbarian weekend, as my minotaur character Asterion, the king of mythological creatures [at Middlefaire]. I'm going to be a little bit nervous though, out of all the photos I saw posted online, I didn't see anyone but the performers/staff dressed as satyrs and similar.....although on the flip side, it could be an interesting meeting between Pan and my minotaur character (who actually worships Pan as his deity).
Clayton Jackson
aka King Asterion the Minotaur, King of the Court of Mythological Creatures at Middlefaire

Rowan MacD

BQ-You would fit in, that's a given at the Groundhog Prom ;)-the theme is 'Come as you aren't'.  Fantasy alter egos are encouraged.
  The setting is not as glorious as the Midas hall, and it has only rudimentary nightclub props and atmosphere, but it only costs- $10.00 to get in-tickets can, and do, sell out.   You have to buy your own drinks, and food vending varies-if it's available. 
  The reason that the prom is so popular-is that, beside being a tradition-pretty much anything goes as long as it's legal.   This has evolved into an adult, non-PG party/cosplay event over the years.  It gets going and stays going under it's own steam. 

From the review by Barbarian Queen: There seems to be some (ok, a lot) of confusion among the guests about what was expected of them.  If people don't know what to do, then they become uncomfortable.
  A little history:
   During the 18th century, Masquerade Balls were very structured: On the invitation-People were told what the theme was; i.e. "A midsummer Night's Dream', and asked to stick with that dress.  That way everybody knew what to expect, nobody was excluded, and they all became part of the entertainment.  No stress.
   I think it would help for the time being if Midas Ball picked a theme and stuck with it; like themed weekends at the faire.  The exception  being that the guests of the Ball would be expected to make some sort of effort to come in the appropriate costume, more like they are on cast, rather than Playtrons. 
  If the Midas ball wishes to stick with Greek mythology for now; then the guests would be better served to be encouraged to join in and dress appropriately-like fauns, nymphs, gods, goddesses, and heros of old.  The setting would be a posh party, ala ancient Rome-complete with an excess of entertainment and food. Much more suitable seating will be needed, couches and padded benches, as well as places to set your drinks down, etc.
    No ren garb, no formal evening wear and NO children ( I would not have believed that one if BQ hadn't posted that picture of the fairygirl...  Really folks?)

If they want to go all fantasy, ala Jared's Masquerade (perfectly understandable) they need to  decide now.   They can keep Midas and his court;  but perhaps repurpose some of the other rooms into alternate environments..  BQ has some really good ideas.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

BarbarianQueen

Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 14, 2014, 01:10:55 PM
Much more suitable seating will be needed, couches and padded benches, as well as places to set your drinks down, etc.

Rowen, your post is dead on!  I agree with all your observations, and was hoping some "directions" would be given out by TRF management that would help us attendees enjoy the Ball better. To be honest, I think they were (and maybe still ARE) exploring what they really want to be as far as the actual production of the evening.
The seats, thing, though...gotta have more seats!!!
Here's a photo of the benches - they are two-seaters, and there were about 10 in the main hall, I think, 5 along each wall -

The rather down-looking posture was becaus by this time my feet were killing me, lol!
If you wanted to sit, you had to wait and then nab one of the bench spots, somewhat like musical chairs, now that I think about it.  If you ever got up - it was a goner!
There were cafe' style standing height tables scattered about, so there were places to set you drinks and chat with others.