News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

King Midas Masquerade Ball 2014 - report

Started by BarbarianQueen, October 13, 2014, 12:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trillium

Lack of food and dehydration will take a person down quick, especially if they don't drink much anyway.  I have to make sure I eat before drinking alcohol or I will be out of the game quickly. 
Got faerie dust?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

We had a gentleman come by our camp Sunday night.  He heard us whooping it up and came over for a looksee.  The man had been camping 12 years and never had Loki before( :o) so we set up a Loki Tasting for him.  Well, it turned into a Loki attack when he got poured double shots of seven different Loki's.  I stopped it after shot number six...I looked over at him and said "There's a second part to Loki's name...Revenge...we'll talk about that in the morning"  Within 20 minutes, "Steve" FELL OUT OF A CAMP CHAIR.  :o  We put a bottle of water in his hands, walked him to his trailer and poured him in.  We went by a few times, later on, to make sure he was still breathing.
Monday morning broke and around 9am "Steve" came out of his trailer looking like death warmed over.  I grabbed a bottle of loki and strolled over to his campsite.  I hailed him and got a bleary eyed response... " Steve, i told you last night that we'd talk about the "Revenge" part this morning...you remember that and do you know what i meant?"  " I do now..."  I handed him the loki and smiled " This is for you...try this when you can relax and not have it poured down your throat..."  The guy acted like i gave him a bottle of gold.  :D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Rowan MacD

Quote from: BarbarianQueen on October 27, 2014, 03:20:49 PM
The night we went, a lady had to be physically helped to some place where she could lay down (I'm assuming).  And this was about an hour into the ball :)

I think it was about 9:15 or so, maybe as late as 9:45 - we were coming out of the food tent, and she was headed in, with two gentlemen on either side. She was barely awake, and the men were basically dragging her feet towards the bathroom area.  Maybe there's a place to lie down there? a Medical tent? Or, maybe they just took her out the smoking area and dumped her in a ditch.

I always wonder - how does one get so drunk so fast? I've sat at a table at the Sea devil and downed an entire bottle of mead by myself over the course of an hour, and though I'm pretty "three sheets to the wind", i can talk, function, and walk about if need be. 

Just ignore my jokes, though, when in that state - despite the fact that I'm laughing my own butt off, they won't really be very funny...

Dehydration, not enough to eat, even inexperienced drinkers-sure;  but face it-some folks just don't know when to stop.  They either don't know how, or are unwilling to pace themselves.           
    Every time they drink they just keep going until they literally drop.  With an open bar I imagine you can expect to see this frequently.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Tink

Terre, I have a quick question (and wasn't sure where to ask, so I'm trying here).  I noticed on the TRF Masquerade website it listed a "Commemorative party favor" under things included with the general invitation (not the golden ticket).  What is this party favor?  My husband and I went last weekend, and must have missed getting ours (or got it and didn't realize it somehow.)

On a side note, we had a good time!  The only thing I could even come close to complaining about would be not bringing a shawl for the chilly temps (but with so many people, and people drinking, I totally get why it was so chilly!   :)  )
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Terre Albert

Can you give me the link where is says that?  We do offer a bottle of wine and a Wine Stopper to the VIP but we don't have an item for GA.  Any help finding that mistake would be appreciated.  Thanks

Tink

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

cjacksonii

I wanted to post my opinions after going to the ball last Saturday:

I did the VIP Golden Ticket for the ball, for point of information.

I think the event is SO much worth the money! I had a BLAST! As planned, I went as my minotaur character from Middlefaire, King Asterion....was going to wear my crown with the mask but couldn't find it for some reason (I actually think I may have left it at home.). It was a bit confusing on where to go for Will Call, and even before I could get there, they wanted to take my photo. So I went in circles a little bit to get everything done. The VIP room is VERY nice, I sat at one of the tables, but the other seating locations looked very inviting!

I'm not a big alcohol drinker.....truthfully I drunk more than I have ever done (and that was one glass of mead during the day, a glass of champaign for the toast in the VIP lounge, and a glass of the wine they gave the VIP Golden Ticket holders (I wanted to taste it!)), but was happy to be able to get soda and water for free. (I brought money expecting to pay for that to begin with, a pleasant surprise!)

I went out into the main area just before the event started and there was some interactions, but not a whole lot until after the ball started. There was a nice interaction between Pan and myself, pretty much calling me their cousin....and Midas did come by and say hello to me. There was a lot of nice music played during the ball itself (including some songs that I wanted to say "they're really playing THAT song?" I'm not complaining, at least one of them was so unexpected that I found it cute! And one of them had a nice reference done by a few of the characters.)

I was able to get a photo with Pan, and initially I thought the photo didn't take (thankfully another nice ball patron was able to get a second photo for me later in the evening), but found it hiding on my phone camera....albeit a bit dark in regards to the brightness of the photo.....but at least it took! I do think I got a bit more than others might have, because of the outfit I was in, including one of the satyrs did drag me into a couple of the dances throughout the evening and another trying to play with my horns (I think that's what he was doing?).

Personally, I had a GREAT time. I even have a friend that wants to go in a couple of years when he gets to 21 years old, and is probably going to go with me as either a satyr or a minotaur, we haven't decided yet. He keeps saying he watches the video that was posted last week (that encouraged me to upgrade to the VIP ticket!) and wishes he was 21 already. I'm looking forward to taking him to the masquerade ball in two years and by then, hopefully it'll be EVEN better?

Anyway, I highly recommend the masquerade ball to those that are still sitting on the fence about going! And if you can afford it, DO THE VIP! I havn't opened the wine yet, probably won't until early next year (due to a lot of different reasons, including a two week cruise) and the wine stopper is REALLY nice!
Clayton Jackson
aka King Asterion the Minotaur, King of the Court of Mythological Creatures at Middlefaire

Terre Albert

Thanks for the review Clayton, I'm sure in a few year it will be even more Magical.  The video link King Midas Masquerade Ball

atg101

I just wanted to clear the air of the 21 age and over policy that the Masquerade Ball had. I was trying to look for more information about this years Masquerade ball and I came across this website. I saw your photos and that photo that you took thinking it was a child is a friend of mine and she is in fact over the age of 21. She is actually older then me and I was standing next to her in the white dress. I hope I am not being rude that is really not why I am responding. I just wanted to be clear that they were serious on the 21 and up restriction and carded her even though she is over 21. BTW I appreciate seeing the photos of us since we didn't take them while we were there so its good to see what other people thought. :-) so thank you and I hope there is no misunderstanding.

BarbarianQueen

Ummm...from a post in this thread a year ago...

Quote from: Terre Albert on October 15, 2014, 01:46:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback, while I won't reply to all the comments I will give them to the right people.

One that I do need to correct was the one about the kid.  Actually she was 21 as I personally carded her.  Don't judge a book by its cover. 

Thanks again and hope we can live up to the hype!

For a few more reviews got to: https://www.facebook.com/TexRenFestMasqueradeBall?hc_location=timeline

Most people were very happy with the night but we will learn and change as needed.

atg101

I do apologize for this inconvenience. I really did not mean to be rude if that is what I was portraying and I did not see that post so thank you for clearing that up for me. I just did not want the Masquerade to be seen as not a place that did not follow the rules. Again I apologize for my inconvenience. BTW awesome costume I wish more people did dress up for the masquerade was way too boring when no one dressed up. Again sorry for the inconvenience.