News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

SWFF 2015 Countdown

Started by KiltedPrivateer, November 12, 2014, 10:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyJessica

Quote from: Breandan on November 20, 2014, 01:17:50 PM
Ironically, our garb is best suited to the first few weekends of Sherwood, but my wife is a cold wussy and hates camping in the cold. Soon we shall have a camper, and she won't know what to do with herself  ;)

If y'all get an RV I may have to come and snuggle with the two of you...just saying...  ;)
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Breandan

Weird Rambling Time!
I started out at TRF 25 years ago, and fell in love with the old magic the place had. I had never even KNOWN something like that existed (I grew up in SE Alaska, not exactly a prime spot for renaissance faires), but had always fantasized about a place where one could step out of the "real world" and be something from a fantasy novel or legend for a while. It was a part of the dreams of an innocent youth that I am desperately trying to reclaim for reasons I won't get into here, but the BTDT folks know why. Some of the things I loved about faire back then was the ability to stop being me, to put aside the real-world responsibilities, duties, stresses, etc. and- dorky as it may sound- be one of the characters I had played in P&P games since the very early 80s. I wanted to walk into the village and pretend it was just what it appeared to be- a market village where folks from all over gathered, and Merlin himself opened the very veil of time to allow folks from other eras and worlds to come visit. I also remember a place called the Drunkyn Dragon, behind which we all camped as participants (barbarians) and where I spent hours marveling at the model castles James Martin was building (and spent serious money for someone my age on parts to build my own). I remember the chariot races and the joust, the Battle Mound, the crane in the Industrial area that built stone walls to show the youth how it was done, and Chris Poor as the master smith in a shop laden with accurate and museum-quality weapons.

While there is no Drunkyn Dragon (working on fixing that, as I am in negotiations to buy ALL of James' molds, parts, material, etc. from the guy who now owns them... more on that on FB for those who have it), chariot races nor crane (also want to fix that :D ), Sherwood still holds that magic for me. It is a much-needed cathartic break from the accumulated stress, nightmares and emotional scars I have picked up in the past quarter century. I walk through those gates and it's like being back at TRF circa '89, though my knees are less functional and my wallet a good deal fatter  ;) I have obligations and duties to a family which preclude me from making it every weekend- hell, rarely more than one weekend a season lately- but that doesn't change the fact that I WILL be there. Opening weekend is our first of possibly three weekends to go out, and I am going to grab every bit of that old-faire magic I can get.
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

KiltedPrivateer

It is 66 days, 22 hours, 54 minutes

until Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 10:00:00 AM (Austin time)

Courtesy of http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20150207T10&p0=24&msg=SWFF
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

Crimson

Beandan, I totally understand.  Over the last few seasons at Sherwood I've made some of the best friends I've had.  I walk through those camping gates and it feels like home.  When I go to TRF it is so big now and there are so many people that I miss a lot of my friends.  At Sherwood I know that I'll see them at some time or other, either in faire or in the campgrounds.  When I go into Sherwood I have my normal rounds that I make to visit my friends who are vendors, and that are on cast.  Going to the gatherings off-season really makes the experience even more enjoyable.  We work, commune, dance, drum and eat (and of course drink) together.  There is a huge sense of community at Sherwood.  There is a gathering this weekend and then the New Years party. 
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

GNASloth

Concur with Crimson.  My wife and I have been able to come several times since the 2nd year.  This year ('14) we were actually able to do the FoF, camp and made almost every weekend. The feel of Sherwood is so much different than SRF or TRF.  It's so much easier to just strike up a conversation with vendors, patrons or even the cast. And even in the campgrounds everyone is friendly.  We get the same feeling at the Celtic Fest also.  It's that comfortable, easy feeling that we get when we come to Sherwood. Happy people that we feel like we share a kindred spirit.  Even when you don't really know anyone yet...something we are planning on working on this coming year by trying to get to gatherings.  My work has stopped us from coming to the gatherings this year, but next year is looking a lot better.  Possible we may be able to make the New Year's event.

We can't wait for SWFF!  :D

Glaodian

Sherwood is by far my favorite faire as well.  Usually, I am only able to make it out to opening weekend.  Looking forward to seeing everyone again real soon.
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

KiltedPrivateer

It is 65 days, 1 hour, 13 minutes, 35 seconds

Courtesy of: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20150207T10&p0=24&msg=SWFF
Lover of Lady Kitara

Merlin the Elder

We have our camping spot staked out... Hampton Inn, Bastrop... Opening weekend!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

KiltedPrivateer

It is 52 days, 22 hours, 8 minutes

Courtesy of: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20150207T10&p0=24&msg=SWFF
Modify message
Lover of Lady Kitara

KiltedPrivateer

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on December 04, 2014, 06:11:33 PM
We have our camping spot staked out... Hampton Inn, Bastrop... Opening weekend!

Hows the walk-about at the Hampton?  Do you take Loki to your neighbors while sitting around their campfire?
Just curious (o:
Lover of Lady Kitara

Merlin the Elder

Nah! We sit in the whirlpool!  ;D

KiltedPrivateer

It is 51 days, 23 hours, 36 minutes

Lover of Lady Kitara

mpullen

My SWFF 2015 countdown ends on Jan 15, when I start checking in Participants into their campgrounds and greeting the clans setting up their camps for the season.

Remember, Friends of Faire who camp in the General Campgrounds may also setup their camps for the season. Just make sure you post a sign stating your FoF status on your tent or trailer clearly visible.

Remember that Vendors will start their move-ins on Jan. 16th, so please stay out of the Faire area unless attending a sanctioned event (it's a Gathering weekend, so standard schedule at The Trip). No wandering around the area unless working on preparations for the season. Harriett will be at The Trip Saturday morning with the work list. We need folks with chainsaws (and know how to safely use them).

KiltedPrivateer

It is 32 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes

Lover of Lady Kitara

Merlin the Elder

Does anyone know if the Sunday special ticket prices (from 10am-12 noon) are still going to be done this year?