News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

American Duchess "Stratford" Shoes...Anyone Have A Pair?

Started by NicoleBridget, December 06, 2014, 02:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicoleBridget

I've been lusting after the American Duchess "Stratford" shoes for a long while and I'm thinking about asking Santa for them this year.  My question is...do you have a pair and have you worn them to faire?  I'm curious as to how your feet felt at the end of a long day.  I've only ever worn Mary Jane flats, never a heel, and I'm wondering if faire terrain is just too tough for such a pretty pair of shoes.  I don't have any local reenactment groups where I could wear them, faire is all there is for me around here, so if I can't comfortably wear these shoes there I guess I can't wear them at all.  Thoughts?

isabelladangelo

I bought a pair and immediately returned them.  I love the look of her shoes (although her use of "historically accurate" drives me insane - her 18th century shoes are not H/A.  They are lovely but they are also modern with an 18th Century look.  18th C shoes should have a straight last rather than a left and right to be H/A.) but I have yet to find a pair that fit my feet.   

I wear a size 8. The back of her Stratford shoes go up 2 1/2".  The back of my foot (the heel to the "indent" of the ankle) is only 2".  I put them on and immediately had to take the shoes off.  I couldn't even stand up in them.   The shoes cut into my Achilles Heel and I have never had a shoe do that to this extent before.  (One of the reasons I measured them!)  I've found out since that people with larger feet - 9 1/2 or bigger- tend to have better luck with her shoes than people with smaller feet.   

Also, her shoes are very pricey now.  You can easily get a pair of H/A shoes (hand sewn and everything) for only a few dollars more.   Instead, I'd look at http://www.garbtheworld.com//instock/catalog.php?category=Shoes and http://revival.us/historicalshoesclothesandaccessories.aspx for period (but reasonable price) shoes.   

In other words, the heel versus flat wasn't the issue.   :-)

Or, if you are somewhat competent with a needle and thread, you can do what I did - http://isabelladangelo.blogspot.com/2014/04/hsf-7-tops-toes.html

They aren't H/A but they look reasonably like a late 16th Century shoe - and they are great for hiking about in the mud and gunk of faire or Pennsic in my case.  :-)   I wore mine for two weeks through Pennsic and love them.   Very cheap but also very practical.

NicoleBridget

Wow, thank you Isabella!  That's strange about the Stratfords fitting like that.  I also read the reviews on AD's website and it seems like they run small too.  So if I'm a size 9 it sounds like I would have to order a 9.5 and *maybe* I wouldn't encounter the same discomforts that you mentioned because I've got big feetz!  Hmmm...I guess I could try it, I'd just have to pay return shipping if they don't fit, but I'm also enjoying looking at the shoes you linked me to.  I think maybe I'll just keep researching it before taking the plunge.  I really REALLY appreciate your reply, that's just what I need to know!

And if anyone else happens upon this and wants to chime in I'd love to hear your thoughts too!

isabelladangelo

I think many people are a bit apprehensive about replying - Lauren is very sweet and we would all *love* to see her do well.  But yeah, I've had problems as have many others on the smaller side of the shoe world.  However, it all depends on the shoes.  My Mom loves her Edwardian shoes I bought from AD.  I'd measure the back of your foot before you order.   If you have a taller heel than I do, you'll have better luck. 

Orphena

I purchased a pair of Kensington Shoes for our Pirate Festival. I don't wear a lot of heels, so I had some concerns as well. I like the look of the shoes from the side, and I get a lot of compliments on them. From the top view, the toe looks more pointed than the pictures on the website show, but most people's eyes are caught by the buckles, so I don't let it bother me.

I wear them for the better part of 3 days in an outdoor field type of faire, and so far they have held up quite well. They are not my most comfortable shoes, but they do look ever so pretty! Usually by 4pm, my character undergoes a costume change, and I'm more than happy to get into my boots. I'm glad I have them, and I enjoy looking at the other styles, and I understand that "custom" shoes are expensive, but I have not yet been able to justify the cost of the Stratford Shoe -  for now, I'm sticking with my merrell mary janes for renaissance days -  My garb for rennaissance is far heavier than my pirate village woman ensemble, and I'd rather not fight with heels on top of everything else!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles