News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Short Hair

Started by tigrlily64, May 10, 2008, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrlily64

Anyone think of any good excuses for having short hair?  I really don't want to wear a wig.

Hoowil

You cut it off to give as a favor?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Ginette

Locks of Love would love to have your hair i bet. I'm growing mine out to send to them.

http://www.locksoflove.org/
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Margaret

Quote from: tigrlily64 on May 10, 2008, 10:28:02 AM
Anyone think of any good excuses for having short hair?  I really don't want to wear a wig.

At faire, it is very rare that anyone sees my hair - I usually have a caul and a hat on.  My shoulder length hair is rarly an issue.

On the occasion that I do have my hair showing, I really don't care if it is H/A or not, so i don't worry about a reason.

However, hair was usually shorn if a person was imprisioned or very ill.  Depending on your character, you could go with one of those.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

CapnFayeCutler

I just whacked all of my hair off the day after my surgery... (The pain killers made me loopy) so I think I'm either going to be wearing my wig or just pinning back a lot of what's left and wearing a caul on the back...although there won't be much hair in the caul lol. I just hope it works.  :D
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

tigrlily64

Quote from: Ginette on May 10, 2008, 12:14:28 PM
Locks of Love would love to have your hair i bet. I'm growing mine out to send to them.

http://www.locksoflove.org/

I already sent it to them, which is why I don't have hair any more...

And Maragaret, I would be fine with shoulder length hair...Except I don't have that.  I have about an inch of hair.

Kiss-me-Kate

I had short hair last season.  On the bright side, it was much cooler.  On the dark side, I hated it and wished I had never done it.  But if you did it for a good cause such as locks of love, then it is cool!!!

I wore a hat or didn't give a rat's weed puller most of the time, so it wasn't an issue.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

dragongirl

Well actually it was common for women to cut off their hair and wear wigs to rid themselves of lice and fleas.  If anyone questions you, you can say it was cut for those reasons or that you had a fever, another common reason that hair was cut.  Depending on your persona you could get a caul or goodwife's cap to cover your shorter hair.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Taffy Saltwater

You were a novitiate or nun in a convent, but your father had you returned home in order to make an advantageous marriage.  Or you ran away to pursue personal interests  ;)
Sveethot!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I'm curious.  Has anyone ever asked why a person has short hair?  I think that would be incredibly rude for someone to ask that question.  I've gone to faire with long hair, short hair, medium hair, and all lengths in between, and nobody ever asked me about my hair however it was.

Or are you just wondering what to say if somebody does ask you?  As for me, if someone asked me why my hair was short, if I was on cast, I'd use one of the above reasons.  But if I wasn't on cast, I'd just say I donated to Locks of Love.  Or it's none of their business.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Baroness Doune

Up until the 1970s or so, my mother still believed the old wives tale that hair robbed the body of strength, and therefore, hair should be cut short when someone was very ill to help them get better.

Portrait evidence for wearing short hair.  The image is large and I don't want to resize it, so there is only a link.
Bia de Medici
The portrait is of the natural daughter of Cosimo de Medici, who died when she was about 6.  This portrait is believed to be a posthumous portrait and there are clues in the portrait to support that belief.  It has been said that Bia was frequently ill prior to her death and her hair was kept cut short during her lifetime and that was why she was also portrayed as having short hair in this posthumous portrait.

Really, no one should question your short hair.  But if it should come up, the recent illness excuse is a very period one.  But, I would just tell the truth.  Locks of Love is a worthy cause that more people should be made aware of.

tigrlily64

Thanks everybody.  ;D

Ladyferns

I usually wear my hair just below my ears, mid-lenghth or so.  I hate wearing hats, so prefer a natural flower garland or wire hair twist for adornment, but need to come up with something better.  This year I decided to let my hair grow for the season, and it's below my shoulders.  Wouldn't you know it - both times we've gone this year it was rainy and it frizzed up so I looked quite witch like!  I guess I need to learn to braid it, or just cut it.

Annastina

I am growing my hair out and it's currently almost collar length.  My garb is the basic peasant stuff and I wear either a muffin cap (just a large caul) or snood and straw hat.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gypsylakat

well, you could always say your lover got into a scrape and you had to pay his bail or pay his ransom and sold your hair to a wig maker...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."