News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help Developing a Monk Character

Started by Brother Gregory, July 28, 2008, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Gregory

I'm going to be in first Renaissance faire this fall and have started working on my character. I know that I'm going to be a monk by the name of Brother Gregory and live in 1500 England. I need help with finding a place to live like a monastery around the town of Canterberry and come up with the town I was buried and other things. Does anyone know a good place to find information to help me put my characters persona together. Any help would be greatfull to me.

renren

Have you tried Sir Clisto's website? Lotsa info!
Here's a link!
http://www.sirclisto.com/
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

BrotherThomas

Greetings, Brother Gregory!

Here is a little bit of information for you (from a veteran monk...I was even promoted to Cardinal last year)   :

Canterbury was the supreme See/Diocese in England, and still is today under the Church of England. The Archbishop of Canterbury was the highest ranking bishop in all of England and held Metropolitan powers. The original cathedral burned down prior to 1100 and was rebuilt in pieces throughout the years. The cathedral was finished in 1495 when the massive belltowers were constructed. There is an adjacent monastery/cloister. I believe it was a Benedictine order that occupied the cloister.

Historically, 1500 was right before the Protestant Reformation, therefore the Catholic Church held all the power. The Pope was the most influential person in all of Europe.

Do you want to have your character be a Benedictine monk? IF so, I can fill you in on the Benedictine lifestyle via this thread or PM if you'd like.

What Faire do you attend?

Brother Gregory

That's the way I'm looking at going any help would be great. It's for my local faire in Sioux City, Iowa called Riverssance. I am planning on going to Kansas City's Renaissance faire this year but only as a visitor and not a performer.

groomporter

Remember a monk doesn't have to be good, or even literate. The behavior of the lower ranked clergy is part of what spurred the Protestant Reformation.

Not many of the lower clergy had graduated from any form of university or educational institution and some could not even read. Local priests were known to have mistresses. Monks were also sometimes made the scapegoats for the corruption rampant in the clergy, for the reason that being low on the totem pole they could be ridiculed without danger.

Back when I played Padre Peter the Parish Pardoner, I would suggest to winsome wenches who were flirting with me that I could trade them an indulgence granting them forgiveness of sins in return for services rendered...  ::)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

groomporter

In fact it could be fun playing an illiterate monk.
"Brother, where did you read that passage from the bible in your sermon today?"
"Read, my son? -I don't know how to read"
"But how do you write your sermons"
"Oh lad, I just wing it! -my father used to be an actor you see..."
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

BrotherThomas

Very good point, Groomporter.

Lots of lower ranked and several higher ranked clergy had lots of mistresses.

If you want....go ahead!

Brother Octavius

In the privy with an open door policy.
Former Arnulf surveyor of lands both near and far.