News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of Projects in Progress Part II

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, January 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Being that the previous Projects in Progress thread has 215 pages, I thought to restart it for 2015 and beyond.

Happy New Year!

I have started a new Gown project inspired by the White Gown from Elizabeth R. I plan to make subtle changes to the sleeve design and add shoulder treatments using the trim. 

The project so far that I started cutting out on Tuesday.

The Bodice with the Passamenterie trim pinned in place where I want it. There will be a red on Gold picot trim to add, as well as 6mm pearl clusters.

With the other pieces pinned in place. I will be adding piping in places on the Bodice as well.

The underskirt with Silk Forepart. I still have yet to pearl the trim and add the companion trim when it gets in.

The fabric for the gown and forepart came from SR Harris. I have enough the  Silk to make a Doublet to wear on warmer days at Faire for a completely different look.

Happy sewing in 2015.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rowan MacD

Will you be doing all of the pearl edging?  It looks like every single piece is edged in pearls; that's a LOT of trim!

Note: Looking closely at the the waist treatment on the inspiration gown: There appears to be a different colored bead or jewel every 5 pearls.  The rest of the gown does not repeat that pattern. Interesting.
  Looking forward to the in progress pics...
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The companion trim will be an Antique Gold picot with Red  that I ordered 20 yards of from M&J Trimmings in New York City for $1.59 a yard. I will only do pearl clusters on the Passementerie trim. That trim, I bought from a woman here in Rochester, whose Aunt was a Clothing and Costume Designer who worked in the Garment District in NYC during the 50's to the mid 80's. That trim was from a huge stash over 25 years old, mostly from a NYC company.

The pearl clusters on the trim of the forepart of the underskirt.

More work on the Bodice later today. May even get the overskirt panels cut out.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Canvas layers folded in half and lightly boned. The companion trim has arrived from New York. I am off to sew that on to the Bodice, picadils, and front Overskirt panels.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Bodice is coming together. The piping id all sewn by hand, picadils too. I used the trim for shoulder treatments, added with the contrast trim. The 3/8 inch wide trim  from M&J Trims out of New York City. 30 yards for $1.59 a yard.  The bias tape at the waist is ready to tack down before I add the lining, which will be sewn in by hand. After that, the oversklirt panels will ready to sew together and pleat. 

Lady Renee Buchanan

Stunning!  Stunning!  Stunning!

You outdo  yourself every time, Lady Kathleen.  Your Mary Queen of Scots gown was beautiful.  The red gown you debuted last year was gorgeous.  And this one is beyond words.

What an incredible talent you have. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rowan MacD

Indeed- this is my favorite of all (thus far).   The red piping makes the soft color pop!
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It's coming together. I am going to let the overskirt hang for several days before I hem it. That way, it has a chance to stretch. I cannot wait to get to work on the sleeves after I do more handwork on the Bodice.

Irma

No where near as sumptuous as Lady Kathleen's work, but here are a few photos of my ongoing "Germa-Bethan" doublet.  The idea got stuck in my head to make a "hunting" outfit.  I tend towards German.  The lighter green fabric was waiting to be made into something, but there wasn't enough to make a complete gown.

There was just barely enough to make up a doublet. The darker green is an existing skirt. I was taken more by the men's doublets in Cranach's Stag Hunt portrait than with the ladies' garments.

Hopefully, this mash up of different styles won't be too offensive to period purists.  Except for the shoulder and side seams, all the edges are bound with matching bias. The extension at the waist was whip stitched to the bottom edge of the body.

The doublet closes completely in the front. The ribbon in this photo is just to keep it on Frau Schneider. The shift/hemd will have some basic smocking at the neckline and the wrists.

Also, I have this crossbow I wanted to incorporate as an accessory. It does not have a "bolt," so I am not concerned about possible restrictions attending faires. But, now I need to find a way to carry the thing.

The plan is also to have a green, German-style hat, with feathers. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Absolutely stunning, Irma. I can't wait to see all that this is going to be.

gem

Irma! I love it!! (And I think I have that same crossbow...)

operafantomet

Just popping in to drool over the amazing attires you've all started on the last couple of months. FAB!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The sleeves are unfinished, but pinned on for effect., There is still much to do on this gown before it is finished. The overskirt still has to be hemmed. I will take the Bodice to the Shoe Repair for grommets.

Rowan MacD

Will the sleeves be removable?  I love the double shoulder treatment!

I have got to master that pearl cluster;  mine never turn out decently.
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The sleeves will be detachable, Rowen. They are just pinned onto tne dress form for effect. I am going to finish the sleeves off with Bias tape at the top and sew in large hooks and eyes. I sewed some piping at the bottom. By the panes, I have gold buttons with blood red centers I am going to add for decoration.

I will be wearing this gown in March for an event. Next project when this is all done, a Pirate coat forr my husband in a plum shade of Cotton denim I bought at SR Harris last June. He will be wearing that in March as well.