News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of Projects in Progress Part II

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, January 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toua Taru

I like the idea of the hem guard. It goes nicely with the whole ensemble  :)
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I agree, Dinobabe. An ensemble is never completely finished. Adding a hem guard will spruce up the forepart. Your ensemble will be further enhanced with adding pearling in places.

Might I suggest checking your skirts outside for length so that they are not dragging on the ground. Too often at Faires, I see lovely gowns dragging in the dirt. I like to keep mine a tad shorter so that they do not drag. Not only does that keep the skirts in better condition, it also helps keep them cleaner. For terrain fluctuations vary from Faire to Faire.  Your gown is too beautiful to see get torn up or filthy about the hemline.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on March 15, 2015, 09:33:34 AM
Might I suggest checking your skirts outside for length so that they are not dragging on the ground. Too often at Faires, I see lovely gowns dragging in the dirt. I like to keep mine a tad shorter so that they do not drag. Not only does that keep the skirts in better condition, it also helps keep them cleaner. For terrain fluctuations vary from Faire to Faire.  Your gown is too beautiful to see get torn up or filthy about the hemline.
Agree with Lady K.  Those skirts will show every stain and dust spot.   Fortunately guards are relatively easy to add.If you have some of the forepart fabric left, that would look fabulous!

I hem my gowns about 3"above the ground, measured while wearing all the petticoats and undergarments as well as shoes.  You avoid the worst of the ground soil, while the skirts appear to skim the ground, flashing an occasional glimpse of slipper.  Some hem dragging is unavoidable (hence the guard).
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

operafantomet

I somehow think the gold trim looks too yellow. I love the pearl/moss/blue colours you have going on, and I ponder on how to accent that well. Maybe you could do some gold couching on a navy, green or brown velvet trim? Or, like others have suggested, add some pearls to the pattern of the current golden trim.

Re: length: if the skirt is too long as it is now, it's perfectly period to add a tuck. The tuck is basically just a pleat to shorten the skirt, and to contribute to the stiffening of the hem. You can see it in the portrait of this Flemish boy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Flemish_School_Portrait_of_a_Young_Boy_1625.jpg

Of the Spanish princess Catalina Micaela here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/details/antoniomor1544catalinamichaela.jpg

In this closeup of an extant Florentine dress from ca. 1560 you can see both the tuck in the skirt hem, and how couching on a velvet trim could be done (though you could use a bigger cord and a bigger pattern to not be stuck with the project for weeks...):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/extant/redpisa8.jpg

For faire wear you could also add a strip of fabric on the INSIDE of the petticoat. Maybe wool felt. This will contribute to stiffening the hem, and to make the hem less exposed to dirt. Much of the dirt will come from your shoes/when walking, on the inside. A strip of wool felt will catch much of this. :)

Rowan MacD

Seriously cool, operfantomet.  I've seen these portraits before, but I had never noticed that fold. Brilliant...

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dinobabe

Thank you everyone! 
The gold isn't as yellow as in the picture.  It matches the blue/green/burgundy/gold ribbon trim very well in person.
The first pic was taken in the back yard so the grass is about 4 inches high!  I have already tested the hem length on flat ground and it is just right.  ;)
I've been thinking about doing some beading but not sure what direction to go yet.
And I'm sure the dress will never truly be finished as I find things to change/add over the years!  lol
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

LadyFae

Oh, YES, Dinobabe! I ABSOLUTELY would add that! I, too, tend to prefer more simple looks, but that adds just the right finishing touch! :D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Serenity

Lady K - Sorry I'm late to the party.  That gown is absolutely STUNNING!!!  Fabulous as always  :D
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Rani Zemirah

I like the gold guard, also.  It goes really well with the trim on the overskirt.  I also like the idea of inner guards for skirts, both to help stiffen the hem AND to help keep them from the wear and tear of dusty lanes!  It just seems like such a sensible idea that I would imagine it was done frequently to prolong the life of such lovely and expensive garments! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

An unfinished pair of Paned Slops I am working on for a client in Upstate New York to go with a Doublet made by our own R/F member, Wee Wench. Yes I know they look funny right now. But will look entirely different when I get the waistband on and the stuffing inserted, then the inner lining.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Cilean

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on March 12, 2015, 10:17:46 PM

The Inspiration for my next personal project.

This is the pattern from Rocking Horse Farms(no longer in business)  I have to make it with. I will also be making the undergarments to go with this in time for a convention in July I will be impersonating the Duchess of Devonshire. This is one of the gown from the film...THE DUCHESS.

Another version of the gown from Janet Arnold's POF2 book

I think many people will want to make gowns now that "Poldark" is out, I know I really loved the simplicity of these gowns

I think I might have to create one for myself!!

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

isabelladangelo

IMG 1303 par Isabella, on ipernity

The trim is now all sewn on to my soon to be Dutch cloak.  I'm going to Pennsic next week and it does get into the 50's easily at night.  I will need a thick wool cloak to keep warm. 

Dinobabe

I love the way it looks all spread out like that!  Inspires me to make one.  lol
Can't wait to see it finished.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

isabelladangelo

Thanks, Dinobabe!   It's done now and it is so much fun to wear.   I can't wait for the temperatures to drop at night so I can wear the cloak out and about.  :-)

Italian 16th Century Dress par Isabella, on ipernity

This is my latest in progress dress.  I need to sew the insides, neckline, eyelets, and the pearls along the neckline yet.   I dyed the cotton damask a really nice stone lavender (it's much lovelier in person) as it was originally a federal blue.  I just used scarlet red RIT - one package- in the washing machine.   I got the damask at the thrift store for 5 bucks and I think there was a total of about 15 yards.  So far, I've made two dresses out of it (this one and a houppeland I sold) and still have some of the fabric left over.  I used the width of the fabric (54") for the skirt panels, so this dress only took about three yards of fabric. 

Dinobabe

Gotta love thrift store fabric finds!
I several things made out of thrift store curtains, bedspreads, sheets.....  ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com