News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of Projects in Progress Part II

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, January 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Very nice!  Great find, also!  I love finding fabric at thrift stores!  Particularly lovely 300-600 thread count sheets.  I particularly like the ones that price ALL sheets/blouses/pants/skirts/etc. the same, no matter what brand they are, or condition they are in.  It's exciting to find bolts of fabric, as well, but I seldom find any of those around here that could be used for garb, unfortunately.  Every once in a while, though...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

My sewing schedule is heating up again as Faire grows nearer for us in Minnesota and my upcoming trip to Europe for 4 to 6 weeks. I have several projects to get done before the middle of September.

What I am working on is a version of this, but in different color scheme with a reversible underbust corset. Not historically accurate, but the client will get a lot of use out of it.

The skirt, I drew out on Black Bottom weight as I would a farthingale with 3 panels on the fold. Instead of a drawstring, I used wide Bias tape for a casing and threaded elastic. The chemise using the SIMPLICITY female Pirate pattern in a shorter sleeved version.

Mockup of the Underbust corset to fit on the client before I cut out the fabrics for that.

The Corset fabrics.

The added drape from Broadcloth to create a bustled look and finished with a tight rolled hem serge.

The Back with the drape that I used ribbons in the seams and the ends to get that French Bustle look.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

*LOVE* the apple green bustle!

Are you using a pattern for the underbust corset?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The SIMPLICITY Steampunk pattern, gem.

The client is coming over Thursday evening to try it on. In the meantime, I have another commission cut out and ready to go.

Butch

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

My husband and I are planning to head to Europe in a few weeks for a month or so. As I had a traveling companion last year, Goldie Gopher , the mascot for the University of Minnesota. This  time, Goldie will be properly dressed for when we are in England and Wales. I made him a ruff and a Doublet. I have still to sew on the closures and make him a Flat Cap.

I adjusted toe pattern to make the Doublet shorter. The pattern was based on the doll's measurements and his jersey he wears with a big M on it. Goldie will be properly dressed for the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Hampton Court, the Globe Theater, and other historical places.

I also costume Dolls as well.

Trillium

now that is just too adorable!  Well done!!
Got faerie dust?

LadyStitch

This is 99% done.  We want to get her a real belt, and I added a eyelet modesty panel to the front neck line.  She has a very full Petticoat under it instead of a hoop but I think it will be fine.  She is loving it.  I drafted the coat from a kid size bolero jacket/ vest pattern and looking at the patterns for 1710 gentleman's coats to make her riding habit jacket.  I have enough of the Pink left over to make a skirt so she can have this and an outfit that we can layer turtle necks and t shirts under depending on the weather.  Hopefully this will keep her in Pirate Pink for the next two years. :)

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A project that I am working on for a 5 December Madrigal Choir event. Plus, the client has wanted a gown ensemble for a  long time. Very rough around the edges however. The client is not going for Historical Accuracy. I am going to attach the knife pleated skirt to the boned Bodice. The Underskirt is a separate piece. Detachable Sleeves. Chemise with no ruffs or lace. Hand made French Hood Coronet with simple drape. Fabrics are Black Cotton Velvet, Cotton Brocade, an eyelet Cotton Gauze for the Chemise.

The client liked the out of Print McCalls pattern I had from 1998  that I used for the Bodice. The rest, I drafted. 

P.S. The replica Anne Boleyn Necklace on the Dress Form is one I bought at the Gift Shop at Westminster Abbey in London, England when I was there last month.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It has been a while since I last posted on this thread. Not Renaissance related, but I am currently working on an 18th Century ensemble in time for Costume Con in Madison in less than 2 months. This is my Vampire from the ages gown.

With all that I have on my plate right now, this will be the only thing I get finished. Who knows what I will have time for before July.

Unfinished front of Bodice for 18th century gown

Back of gown

Bodice mockup with Silk underskirt

Silk Underskirt with knife pleated Dust Ruffle and Corset underlining.

18th Century Stays underlining with Side Pocket hoops(ordered from The Quartermaster General) and Chemise.

The pattern I am using for the Bodice from now OOB Rocking Horse Farm. The skirt will be knife pleated panels. I will be making a period rousching to decorate it with.

The finished look for this gown from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion book.

isabelladangelo

I know a few others that are going to this costume con, Kathleen!  Sounds like it will be much better than the horrible New York one.  Your dress is coming along nicely!

DSC00196 par Isabella, on ipernity

I have one shoe done!   I'm recovering a pair of platforms to make them look like 16th c chopines instead.  I need to keep my skirt hems clean somehow and this is how they did it in the Renaissance - just wear higher shoes!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It should be Isabella. I am looking forward to it.

Up to my eyeballs in Commissions and Alterations, here is a project I am working on for a client in Colorado that is inspired by History Channel's  VIKINGS series. A Viking Shield Maiden ensemble.

The Undertunic dress is a Blood Red Linen with embroidered chain stitch at the hem lines. The Over tunic is a medium weight Navy Blue and Saffron wools. I sewed 2 rows of back stitching on the contrast to give more of a period look. Viking clothing was bright and varied depending on status within the clan. Beautiful designs we are familiar with today from Celtic cultures remain popular. The show does that.  I have yet to hand hem and add a Wool Trim in a diamond design and it will be finished. The pattern for this, I drafted.

Front

This is a fun project so far. I have another commission for another Viking Shield Maiden ensemble that will involve more pieces and real fur accents.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I added Rousching and Sequins to the Bodice of my 18th Century gown, along with hooks and eyes sewn alternating for better closing. I have to reset several I see.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It is coming together. The rouching about the waist and down the skirt front are ready to be tacked down by hand. I do need to    resew some of the hooks and eyes so that the front closes better.  The skirt is 2- 54" wide panels tightly knife pleated and hand sewn on to the bodice. The hem was also hand done. All I need now is period hair.

Merlin the Elder

I can't help you with the hair, Lady Kathleen...Mine's mostly gone...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...