News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gallery of Projects in Progress Part II

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, January 08, 2015, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Bodice to a new 18th Century gown I am making in time for a Wench/Pirate Festival in early June. This Polished Cotton has been in my stash for 5 years now. The original intent was to make an Elizabethan gown out of it. Thinking harder, another 18th century gown was called for.

Because of the business of the print, I am going add the pleated roushing to the overskirt and waistline. I will make another Under chemise that will have lace edging that will show out from the Bodice and sleeves. The under skirt will be a Burgundy Cotton Twill that will contrast nicely with the gown fabric. This gown will have cording in the back and large buttons so that I can bustle the skirt when out of doors.

I will be dressing up as Gisselle, the Tart of Tortuga, from the Pirates of The Caribbean films to our Minnesota Jack Sparrow.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Further progress. Yesterday I worked on the Pockets, Under Chemise with added lace, Petticoat, and Undesrkirt. Rather than added ruffles, I did 2 rows of the trim I am using on the Over gown. I plan to add cording to bustle the over skirt so that it does not drag on the pavement when out of doors. There will be 2 large buttons in the back to hold the cording.

The Underskirt is a deep Burgundy Cotton Twill that shows up red when photographed.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This will be my next project for a client's son not far from me, the coat and vest Bilbo Baggins wears in The Hobbit films.

The fabric for the coat, a medium wale Burgundy/Wine shade of corduroy is coming from the United Kingdom. I was all over sites in the United States for this and no one had any in stock. I found a site in the UK and ordered 3 meters at 57" wide. I happen to have a costumer friend who lives in Suffolk, and she is sending me the fabric that I had sent to her from this company called Textiles Express.

The coat itself is more mid 1860's Victorian Frock coat. I have a men's pattern that I can scale down to fit a growing boy who is almost 5 foot tall.

The replica buttons on the Bilbo Baggins vest are coming from Weta Studios in New Zealand. These are metal cast bronze in a shank. I could have gone with cheesy looking buttons with acorns on them, but it would not be the same. The buttons on the coat have a star like design that I will be able to find easily enough.

I am the type of costumer that if something is worth doing, it will be worth doing right. For this is a client whose son is an avid fan of these films and is fussy. Money is not an issue.

isabelladangelo

Sewing Progress par Isabella, on ipernity

A hand sewn linen dress in the 1570's Italian Peasant style is what I'm going for.   The bodice is done but needs to be ironed.  So does the bright yellow linen trim I'm making for the bodice. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Very beautiful, Isabella.

The Medium Wale corduroy I ordered from the UK arrived. It is a gorgeous Wine  shade, 57 inches wide. It will be perfect for Bilbo Baggins's coat. I also have a Victorian frock coat pattern that will work well that I will size down one size from the smallest to fit a growing 10 year old boy who has the potential to grow to over 6 feet. I would rather this coat be too big to start znd wear it for several years.

Puck

In the middle of the night last night I decided to make a wulsthaube and steuchlein to cover my nonexistent hair. Both are stash projects and I did most of the wulsthaube in the wee hours of the night and finished it up today. The steuchlein has been cut and that will be my next mini project.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A current project I am working on for myself is the new Simplicity OUTLANDER pattern. I was bequeathed a Buchannan plaid in a light weight wool and decided to whip this up for an upcoming weekend at the Bristol Renaissance Festival of the Irish Penny Brigade. I plan to sew lacing rings under the bodice to hold the stomacher in place. I already have an 18th Century Corset and chemise made that I will wear with this.

So far, I am pleased with the pattern. The next time I use this pattern, I am going to cut the front skirt piece straight, rather than the pattern shows. I am not all that impressed with how the front sets once pleated. The Pleating guide is very helpful though. The Underskirt is a Cotton Twill.

Puck

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

While things are slow at the moment with Alterations, I decided to make the Earl a new Doublet. I have not made him one since 2004.

Lady Renee Buchanan gave me several batches of fabric she had in her stash that she ended up not using. In one of the batches was a Dark Rose Corduroy. Walla! In my stash, I had trim, piping, buttons, grosgrain ribbon. I did need to buy more piping to finish the Picadils and lining. After this is finished, I will start in on a pair of Venetians to go with the  Doublet.

I just might make the Earl a new hat as well.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A new Elizabethan gown I am making for myself to have ready to wear by next week for the closing of the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. I decided I wanted a Doublet gown ensemble. I am using the Women's Elizabethan ensemble pattern from Margo Anderson. I highly recommend making a mockup of the Doublet first to fit over a Chemise and corset larger than a size you wear currently. I cut a size 14 mockup and it was too small. I cut an 18 and did some modifications.

The main fabric is a soft, luxurious Pinwale Corduroy. Lining fabric is a renaissance looking motif in gold over red. The Frames trim is from Pillaged Village. The gold/black picot of from M & J Trimmings out of NYC. The Doublet is underlined in canvas for stability. Pearl clusters of course. The forepart and Under Dickie to be worn pinned onto the corset is the Brocade I made my last gown out of. The overskirt is ready to make once I get the Doublet and sleeves finished.

The Dickie. It was suggested to me to make this to pin onto my corset. Being that I am going to wear the Doublet half way open, allow the Dickie to show a bit as if I was wearing a Kirtle. Less bulk and get the same effect.

The front view showing piping out ling the waist and  shoulder tabs, as well as the neck collar. Spanish sleeves.

The Back view. I cannot wait to wear this.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Yesterday while I   was on the computer, a message popped up on Facebook. I went to it and conversed with a woman from Kentucky looking to have this made for her from the Undergarments outwards. She is part of a re-enactment group and needs this for the latter part of 2017.

I will be recreating this portrait of Queen Mary Tudor as close as possible. After the holidays, I will be fabric shipping for this gown, which I will be looking for a Medium weight Chenille or Cotton Brocade and contrasting fabric for the forepart of the Underskirt and false under sleeves. The Ouches or fancy buttons, will be a challenge to find.

I am planning a road trip down to New Mexico at the end of January. Perhaps I will saunter into a fabric wharehouse and find what I am looking for. 

Raelyn Fey

operafantomet

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on November 21, 2016, 12:04:18 PM
Yesterday while I   was on the computer, a message popped up on Facebook. I went to it and conversed with a woman from Kentucky looking to have this made for her from the Undergarments outwards. She is part of a re-enactment group and needs this for the latter part of 2017.

I will be recreating this portrait of Queen Mary Tudor as close as possible. After the holidays, I will be fabric shipping for this gown, which I will be looking for a Medium weight Chenille or Cotton Brocade and contrasting fabric for the forepart of the Underskirt and false under sleeves. The Ouches or fancy buttons, will be a challenge to find.

I am planning a road trip down to New Mexico at the end of January. Perhaps I will saunter into a fabric wharehouse and find what I am looking for.

For the ouches/fancy buttons: look for flashy earrings! It's my fave dirty trick. Places like H&M, outlets and online fabric shops can suddenly decide to carry ornamental earrings with a coloured gem to not too bad prices. Stuff like these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/New-Design-Fashion-Women-Jewelry-Elegant-Vintage-Big-Gem-Stone-Geometry-Noble-18K-Gold-Earrings/1909985541.html

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

My current project for a client in Nebraska. The 1st Earl of Lincoln(8th named). I have lovely Black Italian Cotton that is soft to the touch. Silver buttons. The portrait does not show paned slops, but I am going to add a nice trim with black Zwavorski crystal beading to add a touch of sparkle on the panes and part of the Doublet. I am doing a variation of this portrait.

Photos as I progress. I have the Linen shirt finished at the moment.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Linen shirt with no lace t the ruff edges. I did add a subtle decorative stitch in white with a black under bobbin to add a classy touch.

Paned Slops in an Italian Cotton Velvet, with Daisy Gimp trim and 6mm Czech faceted beading to add a slight sparkle when the sun hits it. The underlining is a Quilting Cotton with subtle grey design to add a contrast. I have more Daisy Gimp trim on order to use in parts for the Doublet that is ready to trim and bead.