News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fabric Sale!

Started by isabelladangelo, January 21, 2015, 07:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Denver Fabrics is having a rather decent fabric sale right now.  They have about 16 different 100% wools for $1.99.  They aren't the most amazing colors (although a couple of them are pretty good for recreating Norse) but anything can be dyed black.   Actually, a lot of the colors could be dyed almost any rich color you wanted.  The silks were all organza that weren't very good for Renaissance stuffs.  I didn't check out the linen - I sort of bought maybe 22 yards of wool and decided that was enough.  :-) 

gem

Whew--they sold out quickly! By the time I saw this, they were down to 5 types of taupe suiting. Which is good, because I'm trying to decide if the 15+ yards in my cart at Fabricmart is overkill... (They're having a suiting sale. And 50% off velvet.)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

AS much in my personal stash that I already have, using it up  would be nice. Plus after paying out State, Federal, and Sales Taxes for 2014, I am a little broke right now. :(
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rowan MacD

Quote from: gem on January 22, 2015, 07:07:55 PM
Whew--they sold out quickly! By the time I saw this, they were down to 5 types of taupe suiting. Which is good, because I'm trying to decide if the 15+ yards in my cart at Fabricmart is overkill... (They're having a suiting sale. And 50% off velvet.)

You just had to throw in the 50% off velvet, didn't you? I have to get a filling fixed a the dentist today. I will be taking my tablet along. 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

For all those that didn't buy, be glad.  First, part of my order was apparently out of stock and they just decided not to ship it.  I never received and email saying it was out of stock. 
Second, what I got was NOT wool.  I know one is acetate - I can tell by the smell of it, it has a horrible vinegar/ammonia like smell when it burns.  The other is acrylic, I think.  I knew something was wrong immediately as the taupe wool was shiny. 

I've emailed denver fabrics to complain - I can't really do much of anything with 16 yards of synthetic fibers- and I'm not sure what they will do.   We'll see.  Unless they are willing to take these back, accept the shipping costs themselves, and refund my money, I probably won't shop from them for a very long while if ever again. 

EDIT:  Here are the online descriptions of the two fabrics I bought.  The colors are right but the fabric content is not.

https://www.denverfabrics.com/p69043_TT147-black-ivory-suiting
https://www.denverfabrics.com/p11527_GGG438-taupe-wool-suiting

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Bummer, isabella.

Is Denver Fabrics connected to the BBB? You can complain to the Better Business Bureau on their customer service. Not sending you an email about out-of-stock intems you ordered, is BAD busienss. When I order from various online vendors, they send me emails  if something is out of stock that I nave ordered.

I have not ordered fabrixs, etc., from Denver Fabrics. Probably never will after what you had to say.

isabelladangelo

Thanks, Lady Kathleen.

I did get an email back from them and they claim that you have to click a button when you order fabric from them to say that you want an email/phone call if the fabric is out of stock.   0_o?   They also say they'll take the fabrics back and refund me but I'm really more upset about the fraud aspect of it.  A fabric store should know the fiber contents of the fabrics they are selling. 

gem

Well, bummer. You are not the first person I've heard of who's had this problem with Denver Fabrics/Fashion Fabrics Club "wool." (Nor, indeed, the out-of-stock issue!) I had a similar experience with Mood on Cyber Monday (except that my fabric was considerably more expensive!!)--they had fabric listed as wool fleece, which is a heavy knit like Polar Fleece, except, obviously, in wool. Trusting their reputation and on a deadline, I ordered 1.5 y without a swatch... and what I received was wool, but was NOT a knit; it was flannel! Lovely expensive flannel, but not at all suitable for my project. They wouldn't take it back, and I'd spent a fortune on it.  *Sigh* I ended up using it for something gorgeous, but still. It rather soured me toward them!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The moral of this lesson is......If you cannot touch it or see it, DON'T BUY IT!