News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tell me what you think...

Started by Crimson, January 30, 2015, 09:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson

Ok, I know that is an open ended subject up there ^^^  But, it's not what you think.

I'm working on getting a bit done in the new Sherwood Crier and I'd like some input.  If you could (today because I need to get this done quickly) can you tell me what you like most about Sherwood.  I'm going to use responses in an article.

Thank you!
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Merlin the Elder

One of my favourite things about Sherwood Forest Faire is the intimacy. Even as once a season visitors from 8 hours distant, we always feel welcome there.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Crimson

Merlin, may I use the picture from your profile?  And should I list you as Merlin the Elder?
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Crimson on January 30, 2015, 10:14:04 AM
Merlin, may I use the picture from your profile?  And should I list you as Merlin the Elder?

I think he misspelled it - it's Merlin the Older Elder :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

If you don't need it any larger, feel free to grab that one. If you need a larger version of it, I can post one when I get home...in about an hour or so.

Most of the folks know me by my faire name, so that works fine for me.  Looking forward to opening day!!!

Merlin the Elder

...oh, and you can tell that old pharte Gauwyn to go suck an egg...  ;D

Crimson

I can nab the pic from here just fine.  Thanks and I'll post the link when the new Sherwood Crier is done!

I don't even know the old fart you speak of but I could get to know him because as a pirate I have no problem telling someone to go suck an egg but I'd rather know him first.  Makes for a much better response in person.

So, Hello there Gauwyn of Bracknell.  I'm Crimson Cadena (Toni when I'm slumming it).  Very nice to make your acquaintance  ;)
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Crimson on January 30, 2015, 01:49:36 PM
I can nab the pic from here just fine.  Thanks and I'll post the link when the new Sherwood Crier is done!

I don't even know the old fart you speak of but I could get to know him because as a pirate I have no problem telling someone to go suck an egg but I'd rather know him first.  Makes for a much better response in person.

So, Hello there Gauwyn of Bracknell.  I'm Crimson Cadena (Toni when I'm slumming it).  Very nice to make your acquaintance  ;)

same here.  I am hoping to make it to Sherwood sometime (remote chance this year).  I am a Northlander, so its a bit of a progress, but we do make it to Scarby once every year.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Crimson, Gauwyn and his lovely wife are great fun. The last several years we've met up at different faires.  Still see you opening Scarby, right Gauwyn?

Merlin the Elder

BTW, Crimson, I THINK that photo was taken by Ronald the Bald.  That was our first year at Sherwood (2nd year of the faire), if I'm not mistaken.

GNASloth

Hopefully this is not to late for you...just got home from my mundane job.

My lovely lady Dragonrose and I fell in love with this faire the first time we attended in 2011.  As soon as we walked in the gates, we felt at home.  Last year was our first time that we knew purchasing a FoF pass would be worthwhile (as in be able to actually attend multiple weekends) and the first year we camped. 

The "intimacy" that Merlin speaks of is very apparent at Sherwood.  People talk to each other, the cast interacts with the patrons, as do the vendors, the tavern workers, everyone is friendly, warm and smiling!  The after hour events for the FoF make it even more intimate as cast, vendors and patrons mingle and interact freely.  It's nice to know I can walk up to the "King", and thank him and his staff for making this wonderful place.  And know that the smile he gives back is real.

The smaller grounds are another reason we love Sherwood.  We can get from Elven Hill to the Greenwoode Theater in a short time and at a leisurely pace. Not having to weave through a crowd. Which is something else we love about Sherwood.  We never feel rushed or crowded.  We love just being able to strolling through the grounds, or sitting at the Seven Sisters and not being surrounded by crowds people or that feeling of being rushed. My lady does not get around as well as she did when we were younger, so the slower pace is much easier on her. Which allows her to enjoy the day more.

The feel in the camp grounds is the same as inside the faire close, friendly, family and....happy.  Mike and his crew do such a wonderful job keeping the grounds up, and all of us safe.  It's nice being able to chat with him or others of his crew while in the camp grounds.  It's apparent that Mike loves what he does.

To sum it up...when we go to Sherwood we feel like we are at home and safe among people that are friendly, warm and enjoy many of the same things we do.  And as my lovely lady Dragonrose says, it is one of the few places left in the world that I have a smile on my face all day, and it's there all weekend long.  There is just some kind of magic there that makes it special.

Sherwood is our home faire.  We attend SRF (already have our FoF passes!) and a couple of weekends of TRF.  But Sherwood is hands down our favorite. Just more our speed.

Hoping to meet some of you this year!

KiltedPrivateer

I enjoy the feeling of belonging.  I feel like I belong in the village.  Probably because many of us have raised this faire up from its infancy.  We thank George, Eric and Bryan for birthing it, but it was the love of the community that helped raise it. There is a feeling of comfort no matter where you are in the faire.  The cast are excellent at making one feel that they are part of the village's community.  This is also true for the new comer, seeing the faire for the very first time.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

Crimson

Thank you all!  I've finished the page for this but based on the responses I've gotten beyond my deadline I think I'm going to continue and put at least one in each Crier.  So, if anyone else would like to chime in I will use it in a future edition.  This edition will be posted to the website hopefully soon and I'll link to it here.  I'll also plaster the book of faces with the link.  If you are at all connected to either me or any of the Sherwood groups you'll see it there as well.  Tamara Brock and I work hard to get this newsletter out so please help me to spread it around and get as many to read as possible! 

If you'd like to connect with me on FB just send me a message and I'll tell you my very boring mundane name, although if you look up the Sherwood Crier October 2014 edition you'll see it there as well.

Look forward to seeing more of the responses to What do you like most about Sherwood and seeing you all there in the next 8 weekends.  If you see me (I look just like my profile picture and will always be wearing that very well worn hat) stop me and introduce yourself.  I only bite when asked to.
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

LadyJessica

For those that don't want to get onto FB could you post something here?  I'm on FB but I know others aren't
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Crimson

http://www.sherwoodforestfaire.com/the-sherwood-crier-oct-2014/

This is the link for the previous Sherwood Crier.  Still waiting on the very busy Brian to approve the new one.

Is that what you were referring to, LadyJessica?
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

LadyJessica

Yup!  I know that there are some that aren't on the mailing list and probably don't have the link...or like me forgot about it.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Crimson

After a great opening weekend at Sherwood Forest Faire the new Sherwood Crier is out.  In this edition there is a story about the Fae, written by our friend, Jeffrey Lord (and TRF's Pan himself from the Masquerade Ball), a modern faery tale of a much anticipated wedding in March and advertisement for weddings at Sherwood, info about gatherings and a few other interesting things. 

Keep an eye out because our plan is to get another Crier out in the next few weeks chock full of reviews.  And, as always, if anyone is interested in writing a review, or something else, please let me know.  The two of us editors can only write so much before people get tired of reading our words so we welcome anyone who might be interested.  And if you already know me you may get sick of me asking  ;D

BTW, who saw the Seige on Nottingham Castle this weekend?

And here is the link

http://www.sherwoodforestfaire.com/january-sherwood-crier/
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF