News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kinda quiet in here. Conversation starter?

Started by Elkyn, February 10, 2015, 03:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkyn

I know Scarby is still yet a couple of months off, but here's a topic (and my apologies if this has already been covered here before):

So what year did you first attend Scarby?  And, if applicable, What year did you first go in garb?

I'll start.

First visit was 1986. I went solo because my date backed out at the last minute.

First visit in garb- I believe my first garbed visit was in 1992. I was with a pretty good sized group but was the ONLY one in garb. My first garb was terrible. I looked a bit like a renegade elf escaped from Santa's work shop.

Merlin the Elder

My first year was `88, I think. I honestly don't recall if the first faire was Scarby or TRF. We made 2 or 3 visits to the two faires over a few years when we had family in the area, but trips just for faire were out of the question because of the travel expense.

Around 2000, we began visiting Scarby annually, and `02 or `03, we did the garb.  My first was faux Scot. I looked like a bearded Catholic school girl in my plaid skirt. It was certainly no kilt! The following year, I became a wizard, if only in my mind.

We've been FoF at Scarby since its inception, save one year when we were paying for a wedding. In 2012, my bride and I renewed our vows at Scarborough, with many of the members of this board in attendance.

We are VERY much looking forward to Scarby opening weekend!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

SirRichardBear

First time was in 86 or 87 a one day visit with some friends from my Martial arts school  I got picked to be in the mud show which at that time was where the chess field is now.  We returned once a year till 2000 in blue jeans and t-shirt.  In 2000 bought my first grab in 2002 got a kilt and season pass the rest as they say is history. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

GNASloth

First time my lady and I went was in 2007, after moving back to Texas. Made a couple of more visits between '07 and '12. In 2013 we started getting serious about getting garb together.  First time in full garb was in 2014, and first year we did FoF.  Last year we were able to get all three of my sons together with us, got them in kilts, me in my kilt and wife in a "skilt" and had a family picture done there.  We all agreed it was one of the best family pictures we have done over the last 25-30 years.

My lady and I have our FoF for SRF already. When SWFF ends, we head to SRF the next weekend!

Ryk Rakham

First real visit was '90. Have, garb the week after my first visit!! Actually attended back in the 80's with someone who didn't enjoy it so went back again when single. Sherry and I have attended every year since we met (just before Scarby in 2003). So this is her 12th year. My 25th! Here we go again!!!

Is anyone doing the countdown yet??
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Elkyn

Oh and Scarby was the first official out of town date for my (then future) wife and me.  ;D

Clarendon

Talked for years about going but didn't do it until 2004. The next year I was in garb.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

Elkyn

Quote from: Clarendon on February 16, 2015, 08:06:55 PM
Talked for years about going but didn't do it until 2004. The next year I was in garb.

It can have that effect on people. I wanted to do garb on my second visit but I didn't take the plunge until I had time to really sit down and make it.

Alexa Saltborn

Last year was actually my first year to attend, I had just moved down from Wisconsin and couldn't wait to attend another fair when I found out how close by it was. I rented my costume from the lovely shop right after you enter the grounds and it was what eventually allowed me to understand the direction I wanted my outfit to go in and this year I've purchased a FoF pass and can't wait to go every day that I can.

Elkyn

The folks who run that shop are great. They really know their stuff. They have a costume shop in Arlington. I almost got to work in that shop at Scarby back in the '97 season (at the time I was employed by the shop in Arlington). Unfortunately I moved to SoCal that year just before the season began.

raevyncait

2003 was my first year to attend, no garb, just the one day that year and the next. In 2005 I did a horrible "gyspy" look with thrift-shop finds and that was our first year to go for a whole weekend, we stayed at the Texas Inn (trust me when I say do NOT do this, we would have been more comfortable sleeping in the bed of my pickup truck in May that year). 2006 we did sort of a belly dance look, and again did 2 days. 2007 was my only FOF pass, and I was there every day of the season. Since 2008 I've had a participant/vendor pass, either as a CD seller or in the Majikah Perfumery booth.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Shadow Wolf

Anybody hear any word on the Spirit Tastings this year. I heard they where not going to have them.

LadyStitch

First visit to any ren faire was at scarby and that was 2001.  I went in garb, I made it in a week.  It wasn't my best work but still turned out nice.   We go at least once a year, and couple year we had FoF passes.  When our daughter was born, she just came along.  She has been going to ren faire's since she was 6 months old. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.