News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Campfires while camping

Started by jrcoolt, February 20, 2015, 12:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrcoolt

I have been browsing this forums for months, and finally decided to make an account. I like it here. :)

Now, I have never visited Sherwood Forest. Im a regular at TRF, and camping there. I will be attending Sherwood on the weekend of March 6th 2015, and was curious about campfires. Now, at TRF, you are allowed an aluminum tub for fires, which is what I use. On the Sherwood website it states you must have an above ground pit. Would the aluminum tub that I use at TRF be sufficient for a fire?

Also, as I stated, I have never camped at Sherwood. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a first timer? :)

I appreciate your help!

GNASloth

Fire pit has to be off the ground. As in the bottom does not touch the ground. I have one of the firepits that is like a bowel that sits in a stand with a lid. Also, you must have a fire extinguisher present. Not a bucket of water or sand. The ones you can get at Home Depot for kitchens works. Lots of trees and brush here. Lots.

Sitting in the campgrounds now with my fire pit going on another wonderful Sherwood night! Hope this helps!

jrcoolt

Ok cool. Good to know! Thank you for your reply! I just want to make sure I am following the rules. Looks like I will be making a trip to Academy and Home Depot this week!  :)

Willworkforgems

We use a aluminum wash tub that sits on the ground and have not had any issues. We have however been asked to put out our fire on a windy night if we did not have a tight mesh screen to cover the fire. I have not heard about having to have a fire extinguisher.
"Love is the solution to every problem"

GNASloth

Fire extinguisher is listed in the Campground Handbook (link is on the SWFF Camping page)..

"Have a fire extinguisher visibly availably near the fire pit or cooking fire. Containers of water or a shovel for sand are not acceptable, as they will not extinguish rapidly spreading fires. If you are camping close to our woods, do not have fires (including Tiki torches) within 20 feet of the woods."

It's not talked about on the basic FAQs listing.  But I have seen folks camping without one.  I like having one handy when camping anyhow.

jrcoolt

Thank you all for your replies! I ended up picking up a portable fire pit with a mess top and a fire extinguisher.

Also, since this is my first time camping at Sherwood, what is camping like? what can I expect, and how does it differ from TRF?

jrcoolt

I do have one more question. Is there a place for Ash removal? I am just curious on when I pack up, where do I dump the fire pit?

mpullen

Quote from: jrcoolt on March 03, 2015, 03:39:18 PM
I do have one more question. Is there a place for Ash removal? I am just curious on when I pack up, where do I dump the fire pit?

Dump cold coals on the ground where you camped. Make sure all embers are extinguished.