News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ideas for a Scottish character

Started by kilted one, July 28, 2008, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilted one

I have a chance of working at our local Renaissance Festival and would like to play a Scottish Character.  I was trying to find a real life person but am having a difficult time finding information.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, it takes place during King Henry VIII.
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Terry Griffith

Why not portray the little know but important Great Great Grandson of Robert the Bruce, Lenny the Bruce who attempted to free Scotland from the oppression of England by telling obscene jokes to the enemy.  His army would wait behind the castle walls until the enemy was incapacitated with laughter and then they would attack.

He might have succeeded accept he didn't count on the lack of a sense of humor on the part of English soldiers.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

GirlChris

...that is the MOST AWESOME CHARACTER EVER!!!!!

Queen Maggie

Which Henry Dates? He had a long reign, and there are quite a few ambassadors and turncoats over the years. (Queen Maggie is my mname for when I play Margaret Tudor, Henry's older sister, married to James IV, then to Archibald Douglas, the Earl of Anguish -oops! Angus, and then to Henry Stewart, Earl of Methven.
The Earl of Angus is a fabulous character, and has a lot of incredible historic stuff available to work on... He married Margaret without permission, went on to become the regent for Scotland, escaped with M across the border to England while she was 8 months pregnant with their daughter, was fired on by Margaret's troops with cannons at one point, was kidnapped and held in France, and was close friends later with Henry, until Henry invaded Scotland during the "Rough Wooing" and then led the Scottish forces against the invaders.
Queen Maggie
wench#617, Bard #013
aka Mistress Mannerly, Goodlief Bailey, Cousin Undine Mannerly, Mother Lowe

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Terry Griffith on July 28, 2008, 03:10:47 PM
Why not portray the little know but important Great Great Grandson of Robert the Bruce, Lenny the Bruce who attempted to free Scotland from the oppression of England by telling obscene jokes to the enemy.  His army would wait behind the castle walls until the enemy was incapacitated with laughter and then they would attack.

He might have succeeded accept he didn't count on the lack of a sense of humor on the part of English soldiers.

OMG.. I have SO got to try this one on the Highland Fling weekend.. LOL
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Terry Griffith

Feel free, PurpleDragon.  Kilted One has been cast by the ED as an Innkeeper in Morelandshire so the Scottish character of Lenny the Bruce is available and since it was a figment of my twisted imagination, I hereby give it to you.  May it serve you well.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

kilted one

Quote from: Queen Maggie on August 07, 2008, 08:14:26 AM
Which Henry Dates? He had a long reign, and there are quite a few ambassadors and turncoats over the years. (Queen Maggie is my mname for when I play Margaret Tudor, Henry's older sister, married to James IV, then to Archibald Douglas, the Earl of Anguish -oops! Angus, and then to Henry Stewart, Earl of Methven.
The Earl of Angus is a fabulous character, and has a lot of incredible historic stuff available to work on... He married Margaret without permission, went on to become the regent for Scotland, escaped with M across the border to England while she was 8 months pregnant with their daughter, was fired on by Margaret's troops with cannons at one point, was kidnapped and held in France, and was close friends later with Henry, until Henry invaded Scotland during the "Rough Wooing" and then led the Scottish forces against the invaders.

That is great.  Thank you for the information!!
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Terry Griffith on August 07, 2008, 08:57:49 AM
Feel free, PurpleDragon.  Kilted One has been cast by the ED as an Innkeeper in Morelandshire so the Scottish character of Lenny the Bruce is available and since it was a figment of my twisted imagination, I hereby give it to you.  May it serve you well.

Thank you very much sir.  I shall endeavor to make you proud.  Now to write some appropriate jokes that can be used in 'mixed' company as it were.

((It's a good thing I am good friends with Queen Margaret at TRF so that mayhap I can get some good interaction with her on this one)).
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.