News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Costume shop for sale

Started by BLAKDUKE, February 26, 2015, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

One city over from me in Columbus Ga is a costume shop called CREATIVELY YOURS.  The lady wants to sell the shop and all it's contents.  She makes costumes for the local theatre "Springer  Opera House'  She also does work for local schools.  She is getting burned out.  She also rents her costumes out which appears to be the majority of here business.  This might be a ground floor entry business for someone trying to get into business for themselves.  If anyone is interested e-mail me at  lordladymopak@msn.com and I will give you her phone number and you can discuss the particulars with her.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

10 years ago, the Costume  shop where I worked for over 5 years and help start back in the late 80's, I wanted to buy it. But my friend who owned it, wanted way too much money for it. Most of the custom made costumes for rent, I designed and made. It was hard to walk away from that and go off onto my own.

10 years later, I am glad I broke out on my own. I am my own boss. I take care of my clients wherever they happen to live in this country. I am not tied down to a building or a set schedule, but one that is flexible and equitable all around. My friend, she is 74 and is getting burned out. She will be lucky to get 30 cents on the dollar for her vast inventory, fixtures, etc. Her last several years have not been good ones for her. When she had me, business was booming. I left her employ because her treatment of me and my ideas to market and streamline was met with fierce opposition.

I wish your friend, Blakduke, luck in selling her Business.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rowan MacD

We had a costume/ prop store here that was much like Blakduke's description.   
   It was not the lack of business that drove them out, it was the overhead.   When business was good it was very good, but when it was bad, it was nonexistent.   Even though the shop was run and staffed by family,  the office rental and store front cost too much to justify having year round. They lasted 20 years, but finally closed.
    This tends to be a seasonal business unless you can get decent (and reliable) theater custom.   The only way to really make a go of something like this, is if you own the building, work out of your home, or make it so that you rent a portion of someone else's shop. 
   This is why the majority of this business is conducted online.   
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dinobabe

Is she selling off the costumes?  My group is looking for quite a few ren pieces!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

BLAKDUKE

At this time it is my understanding it is an all or nothing deal. No piecemealing.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel