News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb for a first timer

Started by RahBur, February 27, 2015, 10:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RahBur

I'm super excited about attending my first RenFaires this year. I have a few planned out locally - Fayetteville, AR, Muskogee, OK, Kansas City, and Scarb! I've been pouring over pinterest and other internet sites for garb and have pieced together an outfit, all from etsy - I'm not a seamstress, but if I enjoy this season of Faire, I might have to BECOME one. There are so  many ideas and options!

I *would* like to try and stay more or less H/A, although I don't feel compelled to be *too* strict on this. Mostly, I don't want to wear something blatantly period-mixed, if that makes sense? Say, a Tudor designed gown with Viking accents  8) I'd like to avoid that, personally.

Here are my pieces:

The Chemise, from Armstreet. It has lovely laced sleeves, which I assumed was more of a medieval look.

The corset (outftit #1), from Sarlume (etsy) to be worn with chemise and brown skirt, not exactly H/A, from what I understand corsets like this didn't show up until 17th/18th century? But I like the look:

An overdress (outfit #2), from Camelots Closet, etsy (not worn with the corset, just the chemise, possibly a brown skirt, as well):

For budgets sake, and my first renfair experience, I only have the one chemise. But I've never seen a laced/skinny sleeve chemise with a Ren bodice. I've only seen the "puffy sleeve" with "Ren" looks. For example:

My question: Will my chemise look garishly "Period - Mixed" if I wore it with a more Ren bodice? Or can it pass the slip by relatively unnoticed? Thanks for any advice!

isabelladangelo

So the corset is out.  The term corset wasn't even coined until the late 18th Century - and the hourglass look you posted is from about 1872 or so.   

The chemise is fine - although you can sew one for way cheaper and it's not hard to do.   The body is two big rectangles with triangles in the "skirt" portion.  The sleeves are also just rectangles, with a square attached at the underarm for movement.   

The over dress is okay - but strictly speaking, there is nothing like it in period.  They had closed fronts for the most part - the open fronts had a very different bodice shape.   

The renn bodice at the bottom you posted, the shape is fine - the fabric isn't.  Stick with plain fabrics.

So, if you have your heart set on something, I'd stick with the chemise and maybe the overdress.  (And, yes, you'll want a skirt!)

Rowan MacD

How much are you looking to spend? 

One of my first outfits was bought as a set, and included everything I needed.
    This is the 'basic wench', what most women start with:

~ A short cotton or linen chemise (I still use my first one to this day).

~ A basic, unboned, single color bodice (they may say reversible to black, but they seldom look good worn so).
   A good quality bodice will have 2 stiffening bones running next to the lacing holes, to keep the bodice from 'bunching'. 
  Note: Most inexpensive bodices are not designed to 'squish' you into shape or provide a lot of support for the ladies, so use appropriate undergarments.  A decent bodice should  fit well , be comfortable, and lie generally flat.  If you lace too tightly, you will very likely damage the lacing holes/grommets.
  You can also wear a waist cincher instead of a bodice. 

~A skirt with a drawstring, elastic or laced waistband.  Actually it's fun to get a couple of these in contrasting fabrics and layer them, using skirt hikes to hold the outer layer up. You can find  skirt hikes (and mug straps) at just about any leather vender at faire.

~a belt.  I have always used leather ring belts-which can be purchased for as little as $10.00 online.

~A pouch or drawstring bag to carry your cell, ID, cards and cash.  the pouch and skirt hikes will be suspended from this, so get a good sturdy one.

complete set for $165.00 -no hat or sash included.
http://www.tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTS&Product_Code=LL-JWG&Category_Code=WGS

complete set  for $185.00-the muffin hat used to be included, but no more. http://www.tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTS&Product_Code=SS-AWG&Category_Code=WGS
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

RahBur

Thanks for the information, ladies! I already purchased my chemise and brown skirt (drawstring) thinking these were good basic pieces, and I could add bodices/skirts/overdress to it as I go along. Just trying to keep things simple, but well put together, my first go-round  ;)

I may look into learning make my own bodices. Seems like you can really change an outfit just with that alone!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I would suggest that rather than buy an Irish overdress (the one piece where the bodice connects to the skirt) to invest in a separate bodice and skirt.  That way you can do more of a mix and match of skirts with the bodice so you don't feel like you are wearing the same thing all the time.

You'd be surprised how, even if you wear the same 2 skirts, it will look different by switching them around and wearing first one on the top of the other skirt (and hiking it up) and then using it as the bottom skirt.

If you do decide on a bodice that is not a solid color, by getting skirts in the matching colors, again you have many different looks by switching around the skirts.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on February 28, 2015, 08:04:28 AM
I would suggest that rather than buy an Irish overdress (the one piece where the voice connect to the skirt) to invest in a separate bodie and sort.  That way yu cn do more of amoxand match of skirts with the bodice so you don't feel like you are wearing the same thing all the time.

Hitting the rum early this morning, are we?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: isabelladangelo on February 28, 2015, 09:52:46 AM
Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on February 28, 2015, 08:04:28 AM
I would suggest that rather than buy an Irish overdress (the one piece where the voice connect to the skirt) to invest in a separate bodie and sort.  That way yu cn do more of amoxand match of skirts with the bodice so you don't feel like you are wearing the same thing all the time.

Hitting the rum early this morning, are we?
Thanks, Isabella! I fixed it.  My Ipad must think I'm an awful speller, because it changes words on me all the time.  And I should know by now that I ought to proof read everything before I post.  After reading that mess that it got changed to, I think I need a drink!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

isabelladangelo

LOL!  I figured it was something like that.  Stupid iphones and ipads.  This is why my iphone is good for two things only - a paperweight and a quick camera when I've forgotten where I put my good camera.  I have my android - with a qwerty slideout keyboard- for actual texting and calling. 

RahBur

Lady Renee,
Thank you for the advice! I think I'll do some shopping at Faire for a good bodice. I can see how having the separate pieces will make the wardrobe more versatile. Thanks again, ladies!

Rowan MacD

Have fun!
Skirts are probably going to be your cheapest investment.
  'Skirts'  have waist bands with buttons or laces, about $50.00 -I have 2 of these, in Marine and Curry colors-you have to order by waist size.  They are actually from Sofi's Stitches:
http://www.tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SS-GPS&Category_Code=WSK 

Simple drawstring skirts, full length, but made of lighter weight cotton or a cotton blend material. $35 use to layer over a regular base skirt, or by themselves. I have 3 of these in red, yellow and blue. They are one size fits all.
http://www.tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LL-CELP&Category_Code=WSK

IWG wench #3139 

RahBur

So I have most of my garb pieces now - a chemise (linen -lovely sleeves with lacings, love mine!) a draw string skirt(brown, cotton blend), and a front laced overdress (linen) -- I'm wearing all of this in the picture below.  A few questions for all the pros :

Skirts - the draw string can get bunchy at the waist. I'm pushing most of the bunchiness towards the back, but I can't imagine layering this skirt with another skirt just like it ... what's your experience been like with layering drawstring skirts? I imagine under a corset it wont be as much of an issue, but under the over dress (which isn't terribly fitted, with an empire waist) it might be more of an issue/awkward bulging?

Also ... petticoats. I have read over as many postings on this forum as I can to try and find something that might answer my question, but  : to petticoat or not to petticoat? I have a crinoline (from my wedding, actually) and its just so.much.material under the dress, and a bit stiff. Will a tiered cotton or linen petticoat - NO tulle- work to help give a good shape to an irish over dress and/or a corset/wench outfit?  Or will another skirt layer work just as well?

If you're not going for the very full H/A silhouette, what do you wear under your skirt for fullness?

Rowan MacD

You don't layer skirts under an overdress.  One colored skirt over the chemise, and under the overdress is sufficient.  I wear my front lacing Celtic over dress that way.   The belt goes over the dress, so you can hang your mugs and pouches.

OR,  You can wear just your chemise, and layer the different color skirts over that.
Skirt hikes (and a belt to hang them from) can be used to hold up the outermost skirt to reveal the color of the under skirt.   Some women hike everything up to show their bloomers and fancy stockings.

Add a hat.  A big straw hat to keep the sun off of your face,  a snood, or muffin hat.

IWG wench #3139 

isabelladangelo

Quote from: RahBur on March 24, 2015, 04:43:28 PM

Also ... petticoats. I have read over as many postings on this forum as I can to try and find something that might answer my question, but  : to petticoat or not to petticoat? I have a crinoline (from my wedding, actually) and its just so.much.material under the dress, and a bit stiff. Will a tiered cotton or linen petticoat - NO tulle- work to help give a good shape to an irish over dress and/or a corset/wench outfit?  Or will another skirt layer work just as well?

If you're not going for the very full H/A silhouette, what do you wear under your skirt for fullness?

Time and place.  The farthingale doesn't seem to appear in England prior to 1530's ish.  Also, it didn't catch on for the lower/middle class for quite a while.  The lower class never wore them.   

No crinoline - it would give you an odd shape. 

For this outfit, one skirt over the chemise and that's it.  You don't want any fullness.   

If you decide to ever go the upper class/noble/middle class (post 1550) route - a bumroll is easy to make and period for wearing under the petticoat.   It will give the correct look for the later part of the 16th C. 

Rani Zemirah

Drawstring skirts can be a pain when not worn under something that will flatten them... but yes, you only need the one under the open front dress.  I like a bit of swish with my skirts, though, and since I have more hips than are really suited for bulky drawstrings I tend to prefer gored skirts, or tiered skirts, even.  I'm not terribly concerned with being H/A, however, and if it's going to be under something else, anyway, then I can't really see any reason to worry much about it. 

I've been wanting that chemise from Armstreet for ages, btw...  :)  And I think it looks very pretty with your overdress!  Now to make (or buy) yourself a lovely pouch to hang from your belt, and a hat to offer a bit of shade, and you'll be set!   Or you could carry a basket with that outfit, and it would work just as well as a pouch.  Just keep a cloth in to to cover your modern items!  Oh, yes... and a pair of Mary Jane slippers should work for shoes, also, I believe. 

And if you will be attending opening weekend at the Castle of Muskogee then perhaps my daughter and I will see you there!  I'll keep my eyes open for your pretty blue dress and that lovely chemise! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede