News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Irish Penny Brigade

Started by Orphena, March 09, 2015, 07:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

M'lord and I have recently been sponsored into the Irish Penny Brigade (An International (now!) social group that travels to festivals). While we are still halfpennies, my first penny event will take place at the festival that I play Queen Elizabeth at. Since we are a very small cast, there will undoubtedly be many opportunities to interact!

I was hoping that perhaps some existing pennies could make themselves known, and perhaps give me an idea of what to expect? It seems a little daunting to almost "host" my first event with a new group, that I am still learning about!

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Dinobabe

Congrats!
I would like to hear more about this Irish Penny Brigade.  Is there a website?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Orphena on March 09, 2015, 07:40:52 AM
M'lord and I have recently been sponsored into the Irish Penny Brigade (An International (now!) social group that travels to festivals). While we are still halfpennies, my first penny event will take place at the festival that I play Queen Elizabeth at. Since we are a very small cast, there will undoubtedly be many opportunities to interact!

I was hoping that perhaps some existing pennies could make themselves known, and perhaps give me an idea of what to expect? It seems a little daunting to almost "host" my first event with a new group, that I am still learning about!

It is such a fun group!  Bristol is hosting the National Family Gathering this year.  We welcome your clan to join us there the weekend of July 11-12.

Usually a gathering begins on a Friday night with a Meet and Greet, so the members and half pennies can get to know each other.  It usually is at a bar, sometimes people  eat there, sometimes not.  Other times it's poolside or in a meeting room at the hotel, and people bring drink and or munchies to share.

If your faire allows tailgating, the hosting clan usually arranges breakfast and a meeting place.  Easy things, like donuts, easy to eat hand foods, coffee, mimosas, etc.  Then on Saturday night, there is a dinner at a place that has been prearranged and will expect and can handle a large crowd.

At some family gatherings there are games like musical men or scavenger hunts, some Faires have merchants who will donate small prizes for a drawing.  It's pretty much whatever you want to do.

Just be sure that there is 1 pub in the faire where the family knows is the designated pub, where they can gather.  That is where the 3 p.m. toast will be both days.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Orphena

Lady Renee! Huzzah!

We are planning on attending Bristol that weekend, travel arrangements pending.  Looking forward to meeting you!

So, I have some more specific questions...

Regarding clan colours - black, hunter green, saffron, blue and burgundy. The saffron..is that more yellow, or more orange? And the blue..is there a particular shade?

From the few pics I can find, it is difficult to tell just how "in clan colours" people are. I am also a little leary of making entire ensembles to coordinate. I'm considering a sash of sorts to put on at Penny Events (especially when I am in character), but want to get the colours correct.

Also, Friday nights tend to be non garb gatherings, except that the men wear kilts. What, then, is the expectation for women to wear?

Orphena

Dinobabe,

No website, but a private Facebook page for members. I'm having trouble finding a lot online to know more about the group, and since m'lord and I are the first Canadians in the group, I have lots of questions that don't get asked or answered until an event, which will likely be at Faire.

To find out more, I suggest you look for people wearing a penny necklace - Google irish penny, and you should come up with an image of what you are looking for!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I think the yellow is more of a gold or mustard type than orange.  The blue is like a royal blue.  I don't have all the colors in my garb.  I have a black bodice, a green skirt, and a yellow chemise. 

On the Friday night, women wear jeans, tshirts (clan shirt if you have it.  I don't).  Some women wear mini-kilts.  Dress like you're going to a bar and be comfortable.  The guys typically do wear kilts if they have them.

My mind is foggy after a long workday, but I think on Saturday is the day to wear the clan colors.  As it gets closer to the National Gathering, I will get my "rememberings" back.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Dinobabe

lol
So how do you find any info or become a member if there is nothing online?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

iain robb

Mostly word of mouth, at faire, Dinobabe. What faire(s) do you frequent? Maybe I can steer you toward a Penny, or a Penny toward you.

Dinobabe

Well thank you, Iain!
I attend TN RenFest and now our new faire in Memphis, TN.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Renee Buchanan

Clan Griffin is the chapter at the TN faire.  I've asked the IPB national leadership who is the co tact there, and I will let you know.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Orphena

YAY!

And then Dinobabe, you can visit other faires and meet other Pennies, and continue to recruit!

I have my "sash" almost done - I will try to get a picture online soon!

Dinobabe

Volunteer or vulontold?   ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

amy

Hi Dinobabe, i am a regular TNRF  playtron and a member of IPB.  Please feel free to message me here or on FB with the name  Amy Jorgensen.

Orphena

Here is my sash! Hope the colours are good!

Gwyndolyn

I am also interested in becoming a member.  I frequent the MNRF, whom do I talk to?

Orphena

Gwyndolyn....I din't know who is in charge, but Lady Kathleen just became a full penny on the weekend, so I suggest you speak to her. If you don't know her, pop over to the costuming / sewing side of the forum, and you will likely bump into her pics so you can recognize her!