News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Name this pattern please!

Started by Sheri, March 07, 2015, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheri

A friend of mine saw a picture of a dress that she'd love to have me make. Problem is, she knows nothing about it other then the picture and hasn't been able to find any information on it.   I've tried looking, and have found some close but not exact.   Since I've yet to make anything this involved I'd like as close of a pattern as I can possibly get.   I can eyeball it a bit and come up close, but I know it would be handier (not to mention less likelihood of messing up) if I had a pattern to go off of.

First is the dress is question, can anyone point me to a pattern?   Second is, do you think with some color changes this might actually work for something to wear to a Faire?   I don't do Queens or any other High Nobility but I'm tired of my wenchy looking outfits all the time and am looking for something new.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have yet to see an actual Commerciall pattern for this gown, which is more Fantasy, than actual depiction of a period. It appears to be a Combination of several ideas put together.

This looks like a good challenge, even for me, to do by drafting a pattern for much of it.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

mollymishap

Definitely fantasy but very pretty.  It looks like a mish-mosh of different styles.  A LOTR-style princess-seamed bodice with a point in the front and a v-neck, bell sleeves and a full skirt over a Spanish farthingale.  The black trim looks like it may have been stiffened with horsehair or something like it. 

Don't let the trim & applique intimidate you.  It makes the pattern look a lot more complicated than it actually is.  Look closely at it and you'll see that the pattern itself is very simple.  I don't know what your skill level is, but if you can make something like this pattern, you can probably tackle this dress.  Try making a mock-up out of an old sheet if you're not sure.

As to your other question: is it "appropriate" to wear to Faire?  If you're a paying patron wear whatever you want and have FUN.  If you're on cast, you'll need to have it approved by the costume person.  My only concern about wearing something like this would be that the sheer fabric might tend to snag.

HTH & good luck!

Rowan MacD

This 'style' is very close to the 'megamedieval' dress sold by Moresca; which, in turn is a fantasy gown  based on the painting "the Accolade":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Leighton#mediaviewer/File:Accolade_by_Edmund_Blair_Leighton.jpg

The painting itself is a typical 19th-20th century (it was painted in 1901) romantic-fantasy history-ish interpretation of what 10th -12th century British Royalty may have looked like.

Here's the Moresca version

http://www.moresca.com/product_info.php?products_id=176&osCsid=q9ku068uo4njbgqh3u9q323jt5

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Sheri

I appreciate the info.   It's going to be challenging but if I take it slow I'm hoping it will be doable.   The info provided is more then enough to start looking into actually doing this.   Now to just wait to find out what fabric she wants it made out of, and go from there.   

isabelladangelo

Very much fantasy as everyone has pointed out. The machine embroidery really looks modern to my eye and the ribbons would be worrisome if you ever tried to wash that given their placement.

That being said, it looks like the basic pattern is a play between a bliaut and a gothic fitted gown.  There are tons of patterns for both online - I'd go the bliaut way.  It's really just a basic a-line tunic with angel sleeves. 

gem

The current McCall 6940 (looks like Game-of-Thrones-esque?) would probably be a good starting point to get the silhouette right: http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/64985

Hope this pic isn't too huge (the line drawing is better than the pattern photo):

I love the rose trim on the inspiration dress! In another colorway, you'd look like a fairy tale come to life!

QuoteThis 'style' is very close to the 'megamedieval' dress sold by Moresca

McCall used to have a pattern that was very close to the Moresca Mega--anyone remember that?--except it was open up the front like an "Irish" gown.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Great pattern find, gem.

This looks to take a lot of fabric, yards and yards of it. If a zipper is to be used, Invisible definitely! Regaline Boning for the Belt.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Orphena

You could also take a look at Butterick B4571 - the sleeves are correct, and if there is enough width to wear a farthingale under it might provide a similar silhouette.

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Sheri

You guys are awesome!  Thank you so much!