News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Have a few questions about our first visit to CoRF. VERY excited!

Started by Irish Kate, March 29, 2015, 05:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Kate

Hello all!

We are Missourians and have never ventured past plains/flatlands renfests. I've been scouring the threads in this forum for tips (IE: drink tons of water, rest often, layers if necessary, etc), so I'm hoping we are going to be prepped for our visit physically. We're planning on attending in court outfits, and I'm seeing a lot of Elizabethan styles in the photos from the faire. Do people visit in Tudor outfits as well?  Also, are there colors we should avoid so as not to be mistaken by other visitors for cast members for this season?

We are thrilled to pieces to be able to see this beautiful faire site and visit with everyone!

Keep Calm and get the Seam Ripper!

Norfolk

We are delighted that you will be visiting Larkspurshire this season, Kate!  As a visitor, please feel free to wear whatever you please, but here are a couple of tips you may find helpful:  Goode King Henry and Faire Queen Anne are on the throne, so that should help you pick the right historical period.  Also, the King and Queen wear red, so you may wish to avoid that particular color.  Lastly, please take seriously the admonitions about the liberal use of water and sunscreen.  The Festival is situated on the side of a mountain at approximately 6800 feet above sea level and the atmosphere is very, very dry.  Consequently, patrons suffering from severe sunburn and/or dehydration is something we see EVERY weekend.

Finally, please do come and introduce yourselves to the Court if the opportunity should arise.  There are few things we enjoy more than meeting travelers from afar!

Norfolk
Just call me "Your Grace"

Irish Kate

Thank you so much for the information! I'm totally using "but the King and Queen are wearing red" as my reasoning for buying more fabric to make something new (both our Elizabethan and our Tudor outfits are red)  :D

Can't wait for opening weekend!

Norfolk

Any excuse will do!

We're looking forward to meeting you, Kate!

Earl of Surrey

To your question of period, we do have a mix of late Henrician and early Elizabethan styles on court.  Some of that has to do with climate.  The broad shouldered and layered great coats that are so typical of Henry's time, with furs and such, are too heavy for the altitude and sun.  While we are often quite temperate in terms of pure temperature, at nearly 7,000 feet, if you are in the sun you can really heat up.  Standing for joust we often feel our toes cooking if our black boots are in direct sun.  At Larkspurshire, the difference between in-shade and in-sun can be 20 degrees.  So, whenever possible we "shade hop" and our garb tends to be designed to dissipate or reflect heat.  Such are the technical realities of a Rocky Mountain outdoor festival.  Shade hopping isn't hard since our Festival is located in a lovely mountain pine forest, but of course, our duties often place us in spots where we don't have the option.
--The Paris Hilton of the 16th Century--

The Earl and Countess of Surrey  (off with my head, on January 19, 1547)

Irish Kate

Very much appreciate the information, my lord Earl! That makes my decision as to what to wear even easier; We are definitely going to be a Tudorbethan duo. I've planned for my husband to wear a lightweight, light colored Tudor, while I will be comfortable in light Elizabethan. And slathered in sunscreen.  ;D

Can't wait!

Irish Kate

Finally getting around to uploading photos from our trip. Thank you so much for the survival tips, as they were incredibly necessary. We were blown away by how gorgeous the site is and the overall feel of the faire.

Wanted to give a shout-out to The Legendary Candle Co, who sent us a replacement candle after we realized when we got home that we somehow had one missing from our purchase out there. Vendors who go above and beyond for customers will always have my business.

And last, I wanted to show off this dainty lady, who was GORGEOUS and lovely and chalk full of costuming tips for me when I got a chance to chat her up. I believe she is from the Arizona faire out to visit the Duke and Duchess at CoRF. Because of her I now have a pattern for proper foundation garments and a busk, so as not to have such a wrinkly bodice!

Norfolk

This is indeed our good friend Lady Margaret Lee, whose home fest is Arizona.  The only problem with having her about is that her garb puts everyone else to shame.   :)