News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New to Renfests would love to go to one in costume where to begin?

Started by Diaval, May 02, 2015, 08:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diaval

Quote from: PollyPoPo on May 06, 2015, 09:14:54 PM
Diaval, welcome to the world of Faires.

Thank you.

So, now you're seeing the extent of your question and the diversity of ren garb.  Garb can run ridiculously expensive, even if one is not going noble.  Merchant class  garb for a man in Sunday clothes (as opposed to every day work clothes) is still going to cost quite a bit, especially for something a faire-goer only wears once or twice a year (you say you will only be making one weekend trip this year).

Yes, I am seeing that already. 

As you have found, if one tries to be anywhere near historically accurate, it gets even more difficult to find something on-line.  Unless you can make your own, you will end up paying for the actual construction, at approximately 4 to 1 or 5 to 1.  If the materials cost $100, expect to pay $400-$500 for the finished garment. When you get up close, you will begin to see why it is called garb and not costumes.

You mention costumes and cosplay.  Garb is a whole different category.  Faires are outdoor events, so what works on-stage or in an exhibition hall might not last an hour outside.  Rather than thinking Halloween, compare men's merchant class garb to buying a three-piece suit at a not-quite high-end men's store.  A dress shirt at Brooks Bros will run about $100 for the lowest quality and then add 10% for the larger sizes.  A dress suit (pants and jacket) start about $500, but most run $1000, then add the extra for big guys.  (Can you guess we've got some big guys in our family?)

Understood.

You have already found Renshirts.  I do have personal knowledge of their products.  They have a limited number of styles for men; not noble or even merchant class, but their clothing is very well made and will last.  It is cotton, machine washable, and wearable.  AND it will not cost you a fortune to get started.

Unlike many other stores, they do make shirts and pants that are actually sized to fit big and tall men (as in XXXL rather than a skimpy XL).  The shirts are made with a straight line from under arm to bottom.  They do not have the slits up the side like modern men's dress shirts.

Yes, I have saved that store as a favorite.  It looks like a really good starting point.  I am certain to get a shirt from them as I am leaning to this:

http://renshirts.com/half_sleeves/index.html

I like that style.

Come to think of it, I don't know why modern men's shirts have that slit up the sides.

The gauze shirts are definitely the cooler way to go, but the others have more "heft" to them.

Is gauze the same as linen?  That was mentioned before as the way to go to keep cool.

The neck lacings (especially the leather ones) need to be removed when you wash the clothing, but otherwise it is wash and wear.  If you have very muscular lower legs, you might call them and ask for the actual measurement of the cuffed legs or go with the draw string ones.  (Also ask about hidden pockets – just a thought.) 

Thank you, I didn't know that about the laces.

So, once you have a shirt and breeches, you can start adding.  First outing, wear one of your regular belts (or two or three to add more mass), fastened loosely to give it some droop if you can; add a piece of fabric knotted around the clasp and hanging down – tie it at the bottom to make it look like a pouch.  That will hide the modern look of the belt and break up the vertical mass of your appearance. Add a pair of leather sandals if you have them.   If you end up wearing running shoes, so be it.  Depending on your head (and hair or lack of it), you might want a hat as someone mentioned.  Just something to keep from getting burned.  Or get a big square of cloth, knot each of the ends and wear it like a sailor might when working in the sun.  Add a big gold hoop earring (either in your own pierced ear or a screw back from grandma's box of costume jewelry) and you'll make a passable pirate.

Sounds good and yes, I most certainly would have to wear a hat.  I am pretty much bald and I know on a long day, sunscreen alone isn't going to cut it.  The problem is that I sweat the most from the head and I certainly would need something (liner perhaps?) in order to avoid ruing a good hat.

Oh, and bring some kind of a big bag to carry stuff in, the knotted kind work or something that looks like a big canvas bag thrown over your shoulder.

So bring along a canvas bag?  I think I might have a small one.

With 8 year old boys, you'll probably ending up carrying at least part of their booty around during the day.  And plastic baggies, a couple that are gallon size, to stash the partly eaten turkey leg they swear they are going to finish later.  You will need drinking water; some faires let you bring in your own; others sell it and frown on bringing your own.  Most larger faires do not allow outside food.

Thank you for the tips.

Keep in mind when you look at pictures that the basic garb of clothing is only the start.  If someone is wearing a hat, a belt, a pouch, shoes/boots, stockings, weapons, they probably did not buy it all at once before going to their first faire.  Expect to experience sticker shock, particularly on hats and boots.   

Once you are actually in a faire, you can decide if you still want to add to your garb right away or just make that first time a watching experience.  The odds are you'll be coming back next year and the next and the next.

Thank you again for your advice.

Have a nice evening!

Diaval
Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand, We're Off To Never Never Land.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Thanks for the nice compliments!  Now you will be blown away when I tell you the prices!

My bodice is Moresca.  $185

Steve's hat is Pendragon Leather.  $150.  However, he has had it for 13 years and has held up well

My skirt is from Goodwill.  His pants are the ones I told you about.  I am still trying to find out the name of the shop, sent messages, hoping for replies.

I made his jerkin (vest), and a friend made my chemise.  His we bought at a faire, can't remember which one.    Plus pouches, shoes, etc. so even with something peasanty, it starts to add up.  This is what we do together, so for us, it doesn't matter, because it is our means of entertainment.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

PollyPoPo

Diaval,

Gauze is a type of weave, which makes the material much lighter (threads are further apart), while still giving the feeling of being covered with something.  The gauze from Renshirts is made from cotton).  Linen is a fabric created from manipulating the fibers of flax (? I think it's flax), into long threads and then weaving that. 

Up until the industrial revolution, and the cotton gin, cotton was an expensive fabric compared to linen.  Linen and wool were worn by all classes; cotton only by those who could afford it.  Today, linen is the more expensive fabric. 

As for faires being held during the summer, apparently that is true of faires in the north and places where a fall, winter, or early spring timeframe could result in being knocked out by weather.  The big three in Texas are TRF (Oct-Nov), Sherwood (Feb-Mar) and Scarborough (April-May).  Many faires in the south and west are held during fall, winter, spring.  As for being held on weekends - again, a matter of logistics.  Faires are open when management thinks the most people can come, meaning weekends.  TRF and Sherwood both have a Friday open on days when school children in the area are off school.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

LadyStitch

When you go into a faire you will find that some cosplay culture is still true.   If you want to get to know anyone the best way to do is walk up to them and say  "I like your < insert cool garb they are wearing>.  Where did you get it?"   Another is, " Can I have a picture?"  Sure fire way to meet someone and learn about the garb people are wearing.  TRUST ME you ask a rennie about their garb, you have a friend :)  If you couldn't tell by this forum. 

My large mamal friends have prefered a monks robe, and middle eastern garb for themselves.  One sunburns real bad and sweats badly on his head.  He learned how to wrap a turban, and he has never been so happy. 

Honestly, wear what makes you happy, and fits you.  Start simple, and build from there.  I am a professional seamstress, and we won't talk about what my first garb looked like. :: cringes::  but in the 15 years since I started I have found the look that makes me happy and have built upon it.  Don't sweat it, just have fun, and bee happy.  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Diaval

Hello and good evening to all!

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on May 07, 2015, 05:51:34 AM
Thanks for the nice compliments!  Now you will be blown away when I tell you the prices!

You're welcome!  All of your outfits are really nice, but I like that black and gold one the best on you.

My bodice is Moresca.  $185

Yeah, that is pretty hefty.   That was nearly what I paid for my wife's entire Maleficent costume.  (It was about $250 for everything, horns, ears, clothes, jewelry.)

Steve's hat is Pendragon Leather.  $150.  However, he has had it for 13 years and has held up well

Wow!  That is expensive.  I sweat quite a bit from the head, so I think I would need a liner for something like that.  Heaven knows how many ball caps were ruined from sweating.  It is just a tremendous amount of heat escapes through my head.

My skirt is from Goodwill.  His pants are the ones I told you about.  I am still trying to find out the name of the shop, sent messages, hoping for replies. I made his jerkin (vest), and a friend made my chemise.  His we bought at a faire, can't remember which one.    Plus pouches, shoes, etc. so even with something peasanty, it starts to add up.  This is what we do together, so for us, it doesn't matter, because it is our means of entertainment.

Yeah, I can see that it adds up quickly.  I been thinking of just doing outfits for myself and the wife, the boys could be what they want...perhaps pirates.  Or I might go the rental route with them.

Quote from: PollyPoPo on May 07, 2015, 08:13:47 AM
Diaval,

Gauze is a type of weave, which makes the material much lighter (threads are further apart), while still giving the feeling of being covered with something.  The gauze from Renshirts is made from cotton).  Linen is a fabric created from manipulating the fibers of flax (? I think it's flax), into long threads and then weaving that. 

Ok, so the two are different animals then.  However, 'light' material certainly is what I would be after.  The more it 'breathes' the better.  Plus the 'billowy' nature of the clothes should help too.

Up until the industrial revolution, and the cotton gin, cotton was an expensive fabric compared to linen.  Linen and wool were worn by all classes; cotton only by those who could afford it.  Today, linen is the more expensive fabric.

I see.  But in the context of heat, which is lighter / cooler?   Linen or gauze cotton? 

As for faires being held during the summer, apparently that is true of faires in the north and places where a fall, winter, or early spring timeframe could result in being knocked out by weather.

Hmmm, that is true.  Typically, October...especially late October is very bad in terms of weather.  I know this first hand when dealing with bad weather for Halloween displays.   I been putting on Halloween displays since 2009 and only ONE Halloween night we had good weather.  Usually August and September are pretty stable in terms of weather.

The big three in Texas are TRF (Oct-Nov), Sherwood (Feb-Mar) and Scarborough (April-May).  Many faires in the south and west are held during fall, winter, spring.  As for being held on weekends - again, a matter of logistics.  Faires are open when management thinks the most people can come, meaning weekends.  TRF and Sherwood both have a Friday open on days when school children in the area are off school.

That part is understood, which is why it seemed to me that with weekend operation of most fairs, that would be unaffected if kids are in school or not.   So far the three fairs I checked out near my do not have a Friday open.

Quote from: LadyStitch on May 07, 2015, 11:34:21 AM
When you go into a faire you will find that some cosplay culture is still true.   If you want to get to know anyone the best way to do is walk up to them and say  "I like your < insert cool garb they are wearing>.  Where did you get it?"   Another is, " Can I have a picture?"  Sure fire way to meet someone and learn about the garb people are wearing.  TRUST ME you ask a rennie about their garb, you have a friend :)  If you couldn't tell by this forum. 

Yeah, I have noticed!  I only posted this past weekend and this is already four pages long!  Well, at least I know the 'make a rennie friend' lines now.   

My large mamal friends have prefered a monks robe, and middle eastern garb for themselves.  One sunburns real bad and sweats badly on his head.  He learned how to wrap a turban, and he has never been so happy.

A robe look was another thing I was going to ask about, but robes are usually associated with clergy and I am not shooting for a monk look (even though I probably could pull it off).   With a robe I would think...Magic user ala Gandalf for a fantasy look.   The only reason  I didn't mention this before is that I was thinking:  Robe + Warm day = Dutch Oven (the cooking kind, not the other one).

Honestly, wear what makes you happy, and fits you.  Start simple, and build from there.  I am a professional seamstress, and we won't talk about what my first garb looked like. :: cringes::  but in the 15 years since I started I have found the look that makes me happy and have built upon it.  Don't sweat it, just have fun, and bee happy.  ;D

Well, I have a few ideas, I just need to see some more full examples.   The pictures Lady Renee had up from her renfest outings with her hubby were a great start to look at.  I certainly could get ideas from pictures like that.  The Youtube videos of renfests are a big help too.  I know I AM probably going to sweat it...literally, but I would like to keep that down to a minimum.

Thank you all and have a good night!

Diaval

Rowan MacD

As has been said in a few places-'Costumes' vs 'Garb'.
Good 'Garb' is more like real clothing-think movie grade costumes, compared to the poly print Walmart kind. They are realistic in both form and function.

Another really good  and relatively inexpensive source for one size fits everybody is T-ger Toggs (they ave a booth at KCRF).
  Seriously, I bought a yoke shirt ($38) and a pair of baggy pants ($28) online for my son in law to wear to my wedding in 2007.  These are made of a heavy cotton gauze, and extremely good quality. They wash and wear very well, and just get better with age.  Very roomy and comfortable.  Add a pair of sandals or ghillies and a belt, and you're set.

http://tgertoggs.com

He is a 4X (XXXX) and about 6' 3".  To this day, he has never attended a renfair, ever, even after I bought him the outfit; but my Step daughter says he has used both pieces around the house because they are that comfortable.    The casual clothes of the middle ages.
  The 'Pizza hat' is actually called a bag hat.   It will hang down on your neck to keep the sun off, and hide that modern haircut for both men and women.  TT specializes in men's wear.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Renee Buchanan

Thank you Rowan ( and Butch who PM'd me).  T-ger Toggs is the company I was trying to find for Diaval!  Their garb is great.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Diaval

Good Evenin' to all.

Late night for me.  Maleficent and the kids are curled up and sleeping.  I am still awake so I figured I would drop in for a while.

Quote from: Rowan MacD on May 08, 2015, 08:54:40 AM
   As has been said in a few places-'Costumes' vs 'Garb'.
Good 'Garb' is more like real clothing-think movie grade costumes, compared to the poly print Walmart kind. They are realistic in both form and function.

Oh that part I got.  Garb is actual functional clothes, not a costume, but period correct clothing.  I know sometimes I do interchange the wording, especially in the context of fantasy characters.   As it is with my wife's Maleficent 'costume', it was really made from functional clothing or I guess you can still call most items in her outfit 'garb'  (and yes, the horns were real too).   In a nutshell, I didn't want to have her looking like her outfit came from the Disney store.

The big difference here is that with her Maleficent outfit, I had a 'blueprint' to go by and worked out from there with the available materials.  There were limitations based on the way my wife looks so we made changes to the outfit accordingly.  The end result is what you saw.

Basically I figured if I could do it once, I can do it again and that is how I eventually found my way here.

Another really good  and relatively inexpensive source for one size fits everybody is T-ger Toggs (they ave a booth at KCRF).
  Seriously, I bought a yoke shirt ($38) and a pair of baggy pants ($28) online for my son in law to wear to my wedding in 2007.  These are made of a heavy cotton gauze, and extremely good quality. They wash and wear very well, and just get better with age.  Very roomy and comfortable.  Add a pair of sandals or ghillies and a belt, and you're set.

http://tgertoggs.com

Thank you very much.  I looked at the site already and was very impressed with the prices and they do have my size too! 

He is a 4X (XXXX) and about 6' 3".  To this day, he has never attended a renfair, ever, even after I bought him the outfit; but my Step daughter says he has used both pieces around the house because they are that comfortable.    The casual clothes of the middle ages.
  The 'Pizza hat' is actually called a bag hat.   It will hang down on your neck to keep the sun off, and hide that modern haircut for both men and women.  TT specializes in men's wear.

Wow!  That is reassuring if he wears them around the house.   I am very close to his size also 6'3", but 3X.   I like the bag hat and see it uses often in many looks.  It seems like I can use that style hat for a 'Kiltie' outfit, peasant, or noble.   The only thing I wish is that they had an actual picture on the website.  Many items have a 'drawn' picture.

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on May 08, 2015, 04:57:32 PM
Thank you Rowan ( and Butch who PM'd me).  T-ger Toggs is the company I was trying to find for Diaval!  Their garb is great.

Oh, so this was the company you were looking for.   Thank you.

Oh, while I have you ladies present, quick question:

When it comes to belt accessories I have noticed several items hanging on the belt that would seem odd by today's standards.   One fellow had a spoon, a mug, a knife, his pouch, and a hammered dulcimer tied to his belt (only kidding on the last one...it was actually a penny (tin) whistle).    So I was curious about that.

Thank you all.

Have a good night!

isabelladangelo

Hanging things from the belt is due to the the lack of modern pockets and paper plates.   ;)  Although, in period, they would have worn something similar to a fanny pack called a budget, most people carry their mugs and utensils openly to show them off.  (Some have very cool looking mugs)  There are a ton of different purses/pouches to hang from your belt.  I have one that is big enough to hide my epi pen. 

Rowan MacD

Belts: a ring belt is a typical Rennie mainstay.  Buy online (cheaper) or visit a leather shop at faire (more expensive, but the shop workers will show you how to wear it).
   Mug straps with handy snaps to hold your drinking vessels and miscellaneous equipment are also available at the leather shop. It generally won't be any cheaper to buy these online.  Prices range largely depending on the decoration. 
    Basic drinking metal tankards and goblets can be found pretty easily in thrift stores.  I still have my first one from Goodwill (I used it today).   You can upgrade if you see a 'must have' from one of the artisans. 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Diaval

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 09, 2015, 06:11:05 PM
Hanging things from the belt is due to the the lack of modern pockets and paper plates.   ;)  Although, in period, they would have worn something similar to a fanny pack called a budget, most people carry their mugs and utensils openly to show them off.  (Some have very cool looking mugs)  There are a ton of different purses/pouches to hang from your belt.  I have one that is big enough to hide my epi pen.

Oh, I was thinking that perhaps back in medieval times you had to bring your own utensils if you wanted to eat somewhere?  I have seen quite a few people at renfests (You Tube) that carried eating and drinking items.  So it had me thinking, didn't taverns and other places to drink and eat have their own tableware or did you have to bring your own?

Anyway, a budget sounds like something I would be after for my camera and wallet since you mention that was similar to a fanny pack.   Would this apply to the women as well?  Where did they carry their items?

Quote from: Rowan MacD on May 09, 2015, 08:27:26 PM
   Belts: a ring belt is a typical Rennie mainstay.  Buy online (cheaper) or visit a leather shop at faire (more expensive, but the shop workers will show you how to wear it).
   Mug straps with handy snaps to hold your drinking vessels and miscellaneous equipment are also available at the leather shop. It generally won't be any cheaper to buy these online.  Prices range largely depending on the decoration. 
    Basic drinking metal tankards and goblets can be found pretty easily in thrift stores.  I still have my first one from Goodwill (I used it today).   You can upgrade if you see a 'must have' from one of the artisans. 

What about things like daggers and swords?  I am assuming they mounted to the belt somehow too, correct?

Thank You

Have a good night!

Lady L

There are leather sword hangers, which attach on one end to the belt, then hang at an angle for the sword to be hung from. Also baldrics.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-141-leather-sword-hanger-frog.aspx

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-160-right-handed-european-baldric-black.aspx

There many types of bags and pouches to carry things in. Some hang from or tie onto a belt, others do not. Here's a few examples. (Not an endorsement)

http://www.museumreplicas.com/c-64-sporrans-pouches.aspx

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-103-leather-pouches.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Bags-Purses-Pouches-650-1650-Pattern/dp/B00188PXUU
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Diaval on May 09, 2015, 10:42:50 PM

Oh, I was thinking that perhaps back in medieval times you had to bring your own utensils if you wanted to eat somewhere?  I have seen quite a few people at renfests (You Tube) that carried eating and drinking items.  So it had me thinking, didn't taverns and other places to drink and eat have their own tableware or did you have to bring your own?

Anyway, a budget sounds like something I would be after for my camera and wallet since you mention that was similar to a fanny pack.   Would this apply to the women as well?  Where did they carry their items?

Yeah, taverns didn't always have a clean cup and spoon - which is why you carried your own.  However, it was done by putting it in a budget/basket/something similar that you carry rather than on your belt in the actual Renaissance. 

Yes, both women and men carried budgets.   You mostly see shepherds using them so they carried them the same places we would carry a purse or a wallet today. 

For a camera and other things, you might also look at messenger bags or pilgrim bags.  There are tons of examples on this linked site.  I made one a few years ago to carry my laptop with me at Pennsic (a very very big medieval/renaissance camping event that goes on for slightly over two weeks every summer).  It's very simple in design but you can carry a ton of stuff in it - which is probably why the pilgrims used them. 

Search the linked site to for other bags/pouches/purses ideas.  It is one of the best medieval/renaissance sources on the web.

Diaval

Good day!  And a special announcement to all m'ladies in the land:  Happy Mother's Day!

I will say that I have been homing in on some simple looks that I like.   

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5270707/il_570xN.27778280.jpg

(the fellow on the right)

http://www.mistythicket.com/ebay/scottish_great_kilt_tartan_08.jpg

Of course in both cases instead of the kilt, go with the baggy style pants.

Footwear is still something I am on the fence about as the tall boots are probably very expensive.  Sandals probably would be a better bet.

Quote from: Lady L on May 10, 2015, 04:35:47 AM
There are leather sword hangers, which attach on one end to the belt, then hang at an angle for the sword to be hung from. Also baldrics.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-141-leather-sword-hanger-frog.aspx

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-160-right-handed-european-baldric-black.aspx

The baldric sounds like a good idea.  In the photo I linked to above, the one fellow has the sword on his back.  While I do like that look, I think it would create an interesting situation in regards to sitting down, unless the seat is something without a back such as a stool.

There many types of bags and pouches to carry things in. Some hang from or tie onto a belt, others do not. Here's a few examples. (Not an endorsement)

http://www.museumreplicas.com/c-64-sporrans-pouches.aspx

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/c-103-leather-pouches.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Bags-Purses-Pouches-650-1650-Pattern/dp/B00188PXUU

I tried to look up a budget type bag on-line, both Ebay and Etsy, but budget just comes up with hits based on the modern meaning of that word, "buy on a budget" and not the bag.

I took a look at those links and I do like the style of the Sporran and this is something that is normally worn with a kilt, but could it also be OK to wear it with pants?

In the first link you sent on bags, the top left is a Sporran but one thing that I found curious is that it says it has a snap for the cover.  Would that be period correct?   I wouldn't think so.  Another bag I like is the large round leather pouch.  I believe that is big enough to hold my wallet and my camera.  It has a nice tie to close it up and it certainly looks period correct.   I do like the medieval style pouches too on that page, but the problem is they are only 2" thick and I have a BIG camera.

Well, one thing is for certain. I like this belt:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-136-leather-long-belt.aspx

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 10, 2015, 07:01:47 AM
Yeah, taverns didn't always have a clean cup and spoon - which is why you carried your own.  However, it was done by putting it in a budget/basket/something similar that you carry rather than on your belt in the actual Renaissance. 

Ahhh, so my guess was correct then.  It was just something that I noticed with Rennies in that they were carrying everything but the kitchen sink on their belt.  I don't have to go that far, but I figured a bag and perhaps a weapon of sorts and I should be good. 

I like this Scottish sword, but it is a long sword and probably would be best be worn on the back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/41-Collectible-Scottish-Claymore-Arming-Sword-Thanksgiving-Xmas-Costume-Decor-/351394162526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d0b9675e

If I could find something like that, but shorter, that would be cool.

Yes, both women and men carried budgets.   You mostly see shepherds using them so they carried them the same places we would carry a purse or a wallet today. 

I see, so would a woman have it attached to a belt, or would it be worn over the shoulder as a pocketbook would be today?

For a camera and other things, you might also look at messenger bags or pilgrim bags.  There are tons of examples on this linked site.  I made one a few years ago to carry my laptop with me at Pennsic (a very very big medieval/renaissance camping event that goes on for slightly over two weeks every summer).  It's very simple in design but you can carry a ton of stuff in it - which is probably why the pilgrims used them. 

Search the linked site to for other bags/pouches/purses ideas.  It is one of the best medieval/renaissance sources on the web.

Well, something simple just to hold what would normally go in a fanny pack.  Just the essentials.  For me it would just be my wallet, camera and sunscreen.  Perhaps a little more space to quickly toss something else in there.   Probably the same would go for my wife, but she would need something a bit bigger as women usually carry more things on them and she has her cell phone too.

Thank You again and have a good day!

Diaval

isabelladangelo

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I thought you had clicked on the links provided.  The links show budgets - medieval fanny packs- and where they are carried on the person; right at the waistline.

Before the 19th Century, men carried just as much as women - if not more.  Purses were for both sexes.   (The 19th Century really royally messed up everything)   I personally carry a small basket.  It holds my credit cards, cell phones, a small mirror, some thread, embroidery scissors, and a bunch of other knickknacks.  In a couple more weeks, I should have a few baskets recovered and for sale up on etsy, I hope.   The nice thing is they never look out of place and they can hold everything.   I've given a couple to friends and they use them all. the. time.   

Please, check out the links I've already provided and take a look at the various styles of bags, budgets, ect were really available - you'll easily be able to find some modern versions once you know what the medieval ones looked like. 

The two images you posted for garb are pretty good for the shirts they are wearing.  Honestly, if you wanted to learn how to sew, that style top is very, very simple - and it would cost you maybe $10 to make it on your own with a needle and thread.