News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sunscreen staining

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, May 07, 2015, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I have a white shirt I wore a couple weeks back that stained and orange very badly around the collar.  After checking it appears as though this is an issue with sunscreen?  Anyway, looked online for how to remove and had some luck using BarKeepers Friend.  I also had tried the Works Tub and Tile, but it did not do much.  I also had someone tell me to use Rit dye.  Not sure of the material (I am a guy, it's white  :D - cotton or linen or something maybe - its not polyester I know - I remember that from the disco days)

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Grammercy
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

PollyPoPo

Some dish detergent might work, depending on what actually stained.  If it is an oil based sunscreen, you need something that will cut the oil. 

After you try the less caustic measures, you might go ahead and use bleach.  That's what I always end up doing with white cotton shirts (I have two from Renshirts, one a heavier weight that hold up well).  I use a plastic tub that fits in my kitchen sink, put in some hot water, a cup of bleach (yeah, I know, I know, too much, but that's what I do), a cup of laundry detergent, swish it with my hands to mix it up, add the shirt and make sure it is completely submerged.  I soak the shirt for a while (maybe 10 minutes, maybe overnight), toss it in my washer  along with some white towels for a cycle and see what happens (the towels help to agitate the fabric).  Sometimes I do it a couple times to get stains out.

I have had to do this several times to get out stains like the red stain from a new leather belt, the red from an overshirt when I was caught in the rain, make up stains, hair dye, etc. 

This should be a last ditch effort because the bleach will "eat" away at fabric, including cotton. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

isabelladangelo

Definitely the dish detergent.  Scrub the area with some Dawn and let it soak with the Dawn still on it, in a mix of water and baking soda (1/3 baking soda to 2/3 water).  Leave it overnight and then try washing it in the washing machine.

Merlin the Elder

Ring around the collar, Lord Gauwyn?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Orphena

We should begin a list of sunscreens that DON'T stain garb!

Of course - sometimes certain sunscreens stain for some people, and not others.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Orphena on May 26, 2015, 06:56:56 AM
We should begin a list of sunscreens that DON'T stain garb!

Of course - sometimes certain sunscreens stain for some people, and not others.

And then there are cases like me where you might be allergic to certain sunscreens and not others.  Haven't bothered to figure out why certain ones give me hives because I do love the the couple that don't. 

captmarga

I have had a lot of success with all kinds of stains (including latex paint in satin) with Mona Lisa Pink Soap.  It can be had at the Fine Art section of Michaels, or Hobby Lobby, and even some JoAnn stores carry it.  It will get dried oil paint out of brushes, and just got dye that bled from a (six-year-old and worn and washed many times, darn it) silk scarf out of my cream linen chemise this weekend.  Worth the $4-6 to try a bottle and salvage garb.  I use it to clean my airbrush as well, during haunt season when I am airbrushing makeup.
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Ian Maxwell

try soaking in a hot water and oxyclean solution. I've had luck getting out stains with that, that nothing else will touch.

Ian