News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Archery Garb Question

Started by signora_delluomo, May 12, 2015, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signora_delluomo

Hey everyone,
sorry if this is a repost of a former topic. I scanned to see, but I'll admit I didn't do it perfectly.

I had bought a (very) long bow from a costume shop a few years ago because of its price and how authentic it looked.
Now I'm stuck with the realization that I have NO idea how to wear it on my person..
I want to wear it to TRF without having to carry it around in my hands. The problem is: its just too long.

I tried wearing it with the string over my chest but it slips down and the bottom threatens to drag the ground.
Is there some sort of carrier I should have? Where am I going wrong?

isabelladangelo

Hoowil

The linked discussion is right about it being kept unstrung. It will ruin the bow if carried around strung or too long, especially in any kind of heat.
That being said, the longbow was primarily a weapon of war, not for hunting, although it was used.  As an archer myself, the unfortunate truth is really the easiest way to carry it is to just rest it on a shoulder. They would usually, for transport, have the wrapped in an oiled wool or linen bag, like a giant sock, to protect the wood from moisture. You could rig up a half length wrap on a baldric or other harness to strap it to you back so it would be visible.
As a participant at local faires I try to carry mine only during parades, gigs, and to the field for shooting. They are long and ackward in a crowd.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.