News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Purses and Bags

Started by elthefairy, May 24, 2015, 02:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elthefairy

I want to make noble garb this year. I'm curious as to what people do for bags, because I usually bring/buy a large amount at faire. I'm on a super small budjet (it's going to be really really really cheap noble garb fabric wise). For the past few years I've been using a white tote bag with a bunch of swrils on it, but there's a chance it'll look very strange. What do you guys do?

isabelladangelo

I carry a basket.  Depending on how much stuff I need, I have either my $5 hand basket or my $4 big basket with drink holders from the thrift store.  The hand basket can hold an amazing amount of stuff.  I tend to carry my epi pen, a fan, my wallet, my phones, keys, a mirror, chap stick, and emergency sewing supplies.   I may also have a bottle of water (if the faire allows outside water), a hair brush, a goblet, and other incidentals depending on the event.   

You might be interested in this site to show a bunch of different images of medieval and renaissance pouches and purses. There are also links on the left to Pilgrim's bags and baskets.   

Orphena

I cheated and added sewn in bag pockets on the inside of my gown - basically attached pouches that are thin enough to not distort the line of my gown. I keep what I carry in the down to the minimum - keys to the carriage, hankies, etc.

I have a separate pouch for my id cards and cash.

My tankard and fan attach to my bodice.

For my pirate festival, I play a merchant's wife, so I carry a basket of wares to "sell" as a prop, and sometimes not everything in my basket is actually for sale. I also have pockets under my gown (which is closer to the historical time when ladies had pockets!)

M'lord carries several pouches (they look better on him anyways, I keep telling him!) so he ends up with more stuff to carry! (It's only fair - I spent hours making the garb, he can carry a few items for me!)

Thrift stores are great to find nice baskets - far cheaper than the craft stores! A piece of plain fabric can cover anything you don't want people to see.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Rowan MacD

I use baskets to carry water, germ-x wipes, faire favors, and a mirror.  It's very handy to carry small purchases.
   As Orphena said-Thrift stores are FULL of cheap baskets, and most are no more than a buck or two.  I use fabric scraps from my gowns to make matching basket covers; with jewels or heavy beads sewn on each corner to prevent the wind from blowing them up. I add ribbons in the middle to tie the cover to the basket handles at the sides.

Cards, Cash, camera and phone are kept on me at all times in a pouch.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I use a basket as well that I bought at a Goodwill for $1.99 to,carry essentials in.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Dinobabe

Just bought two wonderful baskets at the local Goodwill for a few bucks!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

A basket for me, as well.  I have 3-4 that I switch between, depending on my garb for the day, and how much or little I decide to carry.  I generally end up carrying water for myself and my daughter, plus anything I may have brought along to barter with (it's always pleasant to see how many vendors are happy to barter goods for goods), my phone (and my daughter's, unless she's wearing a pouch), any small-ish purchases I've made, and both my tankard and a pouch with keys, ID and cash in it if I don't feel like wearing my belt.  I usually cover the basket with a long scarf that compliments my garb, tied around one of the handles and arranged to conceal the contents. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

elthefairy

Thanks guys! I should probably get a basket, they seem pretty unanimously great. I'll try and see if I can find one at goodwill.

Stolenhalo6

Yup, baskets are pretty standard. For bigger or heavier purchases, I use a carpet bag made out of heavy duty upholstry fabric in a renaissance inspired design. I don't carry the full bags with me all day, but stash them at our Friends of Faire private area. (Highly recommend joining if your faire has one.) The carpet bag is more durable than the plastic or paper bags vendors use and the handles are long enough to carry on my shoulder- much better for the trek to the car. The empty bags fold up small andfit in my basket.
Rachel in "real life"
Wench #3893
Careful, she bites.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: elthefairy on June 03, 2015, 04:09:06 PM
Thanks guys! I should probably get a basket, they seem pretty unanimously great. I'll try and see if I can find one at goodwill.

An added bonus; Thrift stores actually have the better baskets, since many come from floral and gift purchases.
   Choose a sturdy one; and inspect the handles closely to determine if they can take the stress of being carried around all day with a pound (or two) of weight.  Water bottles aren't really all that light. 
    I had a very nice basket handle pull out on one end after a few uses.  apparently the handle was mostly for show.

You may want to pick up a can of air to blow off any dust (do that in the back yard or out  on a porch).   Many of these baskets have been lying around a house somewhere for years before they get donated.  I use a feather duster to remove the  obvious stuff, and canned air to blow out the rest.   Happy hunting!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rani Zemirah

Oh, that's a great tip, Rowan!  Clever!  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

RefMom3

Good tip just for regular housework.
I now have to do regular housework...

scarletnyx

Depends on the garbset I am wearing that day!

If I'm in my Templar garbset, I have a beautiful leather backpack that I carry, a la travelling Templar style. I carry water, some light snacks, re hydration tablets, wipes for face and clothing, and wallet with room to spare in there. All that extra space comes in handy when you go on a shopping binge.

If I'm in my North African garbset ( avatar picture ) I do two things. I either don't carry a bag at all ( husband has an amazing warrior belt with his garbset that has many D=rings to hang stuff off of ) or I carry a small bag. Traditionally, I would have carried a small bag around my neck ( Moresca has the PERFECT ones I'm looking for ), but, to be honest, I feel kinda awkward walking around with a bag around my neck. Usually the husband will just be the mule for the day.

I see a lot of cool bag options out and about at our local fairs. I've see people carve " hidey holes" in their staffs for money, I've seen people sew in hidden pockets, its kinda open. Like another poster said, thrift stores are a great way to find some sudden inspiration.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

NicoleBridget

I'm not really a fan of a basket with nobility garb.  I think it drags down the look, class-wise.  A noblewoman wouldn't need to carry so many items on her person because she would have an attendant (or two?) to carry them for her.  A basket screams "commoner at market" to me.  I strive to look as unencumbered as possible when dressing in nobility garb.  Also, a basket is a nuisance; it gets bothersome should you want to hold a goblet and idly fan yourself at the same time, even if it's pinched in the crook of your arm.  It's just a lot.

Sewing hidden pockets into garb is a good idea, as long as neither the pockets themselves nor the things you intend to put in them create unsightly bulges.  I also like those pockets that people have made which are separate accessory items worn over the underskirt and under the overskirt (heh), but again with the bulges...try to avoid it.  I think a well made pouch or a small framed purse, made with fancy fabrics and fancy embellishments, are perfect accessories for a noblewoman, and they can hold lumpier things without disrupting your line.  But then again you also don't want to have SO many things hanging off of you that you look like a Christmas tree!  I always have a purse or pouch hanging on one side, and a fan on the other, and I just carry my goblet all day.  What else can I do?  I have no attendants (but shh, we mustn't let on about that).

When you're a noblewoman I just feel like you should look like you travel light, after all...you're privileged enough to have attendants do your hauling.