News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2008 Scenario - Ivan shops England for a new Queen

Started by McGuinness, July 29, 2008, 08:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGuinness

Ivan the Terrible
(And His Eccentric Quest to Find an English Wife)

Although
the Tsar of Muscavoy has yet to grace our British shores, reports of his rather extravagant exploits have already reached Her Majesty's ears. As fancy takes flight as fancy is oft-times wont to do, we find ourselves asking...what if? What if Ivan the Terrible were to come to England and meet our Illustrious Queen? What if he were to behave as outrageously here in our heartland as he doth in his own Motherland?

Thus it is that some of the most unbelievable - yet true - chronicles of Ivan's reign unfold here in our very own Shire.

The Many Wives of Ivan the Terrible...
King Ivan IV of Muscovy is a tyrant who knows not the meaning of moderation. It hath been rumoured that he drinketh overmuch, he laugheth over-loudly and he loveth and hateth far too fiercely. Nonetheless, by all reports, Ivan is deftly intelligent and despite his cruelty, his reign is a great one. In his homeland he is called Ivan 'Grozny,' which is often translated as 'the Terrible,' but perhaps 'the Awesome' would be more accurate for Ivan the Terrible inspires Awe.

The human instrument of Ivan the Awesome's rule are the 'Oprichniki.' They are a squadron of soldiers that have been handpicked by Ivan. They have sworn a personal oath of allegiance to him and only him. The mere sight of the Oprichniki instills fear: They Dress in Black and ride Black horses. Each carries upon his saddle the head of a dog. Ivan himself is well known to be a very accomplished rider and hath killed many men with spear and lance from horseback.

Ivan is also well known for his matrimonial troubles. In his quest for an heir, Ivan hath stood at the wedding altar no less than three times thus far in his great reign. Many of his wives have been young Princesses and the daughters of his noblemen brought to the Tsar for his review. It seems that prospective Tsarinas are first presented to him in a kind of Pageant after which he chooses his newest bride.

And now, unbeknownst to Our Queen, Ivan the Terrible's third wife has died in faraway Muscovy and Ivan himself hath mysteriously disappeared from his court. Rumour has it that he hath made landfall here in England, accompanied by his dreaded Black Knights, on a quest to find the next Tsarina of Muscovy. It seems that our fair English damsels have caught his eye.

Meanwhile, Here in England...
It is a glorious day in the Shire as Her Majesty arrives to enjoy Her annual Mount Hope holiday. The tantalizing aromas of a thousand hearty foods from around the world co-mingle with the floral fragrances wafting sweetly from the town gardens so lovingly planted in Her Honour. Villagers bustle here and shopkeepers hustle there in unbridled anticipation. The whole town hums with excitement. The Queen has returned and all is well in the Shire.

At the Court of Gloriana, Her Majesty greets her people most magnanimously and announces rather giddily that she is quite excited to be playing today's Living Chess Match against her longtime friend and advisor, Sir Robert Dudley.

Ivan the Terrible Takes a Wife...Literally...
Suddenly, from over the hill, the Awesome Tsar of Muscovy, Ivan IV and his Black Knights present themselves before the Court. Ivan steps boldly forward and greets our radiant Elizabeth as though he were Her equal! Many of our noble lords, most especially Lord Dudley, are taken aback, but the Queen halts them in their advance, lest they lay their bare English steel against cold Muscovy flesh. 'After all is said and done,' She placates, 'he is the head of both church and state in Muscovy, as I am here in England.' Thus mollified, the nobles do repent themselves and stand muttering variously in corners. Her Majesty then invites Ivan to play against Her at Chess. Dudley begins to protest that he was supposed to play against the Queen, but he is hushed by a harsh tone from his Sovereign Lady.

His Awesome-ness interrupts to explain his presence and his quest for a Queen. At his command, his men present an extravagant gift. He then proclaims that all beautiful, eligible women of the Shire are to be presented before him this very afternoon. They will hold a Pageant of Princesses and he will choose the best, which of course he will marry.

Queen Bess is not sure whether or not to be amused or offended. The Tsar and his men are eccentrically charming and several Ladies of the Court step forward, eager to become the Queen of All of Muscovy.

The Tsar's request is so unusual and the ladies' interest so great, that Elizabeth proposes a game to help her decide their course. If Ivan and his Muscovy Knights can best Robert Dudley and his English Knights in a Tournament of Arms, Ivan will be permitted to hold his Pageant of Princesses upon the Chessboard before She and Ivan compete in their Chess Match. If Sir Robert and his Knights win, Ivan must swear an oath to leave England without a bride. The Challenge is accepted and all go forth into the festivities of the day.

lordwriothsley

Now is what I just read an updated version of the plotline for PARF this year?
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Scotsman

Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

McGuinness

That is indeed what our new storyline is. I figured I'd finally post it since its only a little over a week until the official opening day (and less than 24 hours until the cast's opening day for a summer youth day program). There are a few different summaries floating around but thats the most detailed one from the educational program newsletters (thanks to Dolores - FaireGirl69 - for typing it up on the parenfaire.net boards, I copied this summary from there).

Its going to be an interesting season. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks about it...

lordwriothsley

Well Colleen from what I've read from it so far I've found nothing to be wrong with it.As a matter of fact that sounds like a pretty killer storyline.I look forward to working with you and all the ones i met at VARF at your shire this year.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

FaireGirl69

I had posted that here on May 19th under another thread but I guess it got lost.  It was so late that one night I typed all that up from PARF's PDF file I had.  Oh the typos I had to fix...!!!  *LOL*

I had so much fun today at the cast party.  Can't wait until SATURDAY!
- Dolores in PA

"If they outlaw guns, can we go back to using swords?" - bumper sticker saying

lordwriothsley

So if i were to go to PARF's website right now would i be able to find an updated cast list on there so i will know who is playing who this year for when i make my visit to PARF this year?
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

FaireGirl69

Nope - no cast list posted.  Maybe they are waiting until after opening to put one up online?  I dunno.

:-\
- Dolores in PA

"If they outlaw guns, can we go back to using swords?" - bumper sticker saying

McGuinness

Dolores - you did post it, didn't you? I missed it somehow. Oh well, all your hard work can stand repeating! Our Meet the Cast Picnic was a lot of fun and I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. It was good to see all of the familiar faces again and I hope you will all enjoy this season!

As far as a cast list? Who knows. They haven't even given the cast a complete cast list. Hopefully, they'll post it online. Otherwise, itll probably be in the Elizabethan Times program.

lordwriothsley

Well Eileen would you happen to know off the top of your head who is playing who without a cast list up,even if it is just a few names you remember?
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

McGuinness

I couldn't begin to name all of the cast - both casts included, there are almost a hundred of us  but as far as main characters outside of those that have already been named in that storyline summary? I'll tell you on Sunday.  Wouldn't want to give anything away but once its been played out and is public knowledge, then I can give more of it away. ;)

BubbleWright

I attended the "Meet The Cast Picnic" Sunday last.  Elizabethan Times, Vol. 23, 2008 was available at the Wine Shop but they were not given out at the picnic. It is possible that this is a Pre-Faire edition. Please excuse any typos... bad eyes and arthritic hands...

Bacchanalian Cast List

Rachel Brodeur- Sonya Inaraserov, Russian Courtesan
Karin Carr- Lady Anne Vavasour, Lady-in-Waiting
Barbara Charlene- Rosalind Adelle Tooter, Rat Catcher
Samantha Clay- Penelope "Penny" Grigio, Wine Mistress
Dylan Collins- Randy Sod, Chimney Sweep
Cara Craig- Melody Stout, Ale Wench
Andrew Dennison- Sir Alexis Fedorovich Adashev, Wild Boar of Moscovy
Brandon Dennison- Sir Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick
Mark Edmondson- Hamish McGregor, Seafaring Adventurer
Bill Eissler- Doctor Johnny Doggerel, Medieval Quack
Warwick Johnson- Noah Reums, Innkeeper
Loren Jones- Irina Godunova, Black Widow of Moscovy
Dave Joria- Hugh Morris, Jester
Lee Jordan- Sir Richard Hawkins, Duke of Bedford
Sarah Koerner- Mary O'Dell, Farmer's Daughter
Dan Kostelec- William Shakespeare, Playwright
Amy Larink- Philomena "Cutters" McGee, Butcher
Victoria Larson- Jacqueline Damsell, French Horse Mistress
Kelly Morris- Queen Elizabeth I
Jessica Rothert- Lily White, Milkmaid
Stacy Moscotti Smith- Medina Faa, Gypsy
Todd C. Smith- Lord Reginald Cupshotten, Feast Master
Alexis Steele- Lady Mary Hastings
Taylor Tutt- Grigory Skuratov-Velsky, White Snake of Moscovy
Christopher S. Voeller- Captain Walter Raleigh, Explorer
Doug Wallace- Sir Thomas Bromley, Lord Chancellor
Brad Waters- Friar Paul Pope
Catherine A. White- Lady Elizabeth "Liza" Lott
Justus White- (Guest Director) Lord Fyodor Pisemsky, Russian Ambassador

Directorial Staff

Kevin Stillwell- (Artistic Director) Ivan the IVth, Tsar of Moscovy
John Lukas- (Equine Director, Fight & Stunt Coordinator) Sir Lukas, Bull of England
John Williams- (Assistant Artistic Director, Blackfryar Director) Sir Henry Lee, Master-at-Arms
Arthur Rowan- (Musical Director) Sir Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

lordwriothsley

BubbleWright thanks for the email my friend thats helps a little.Eileen thats quite alright with me I would rather be surprised anyway cause i do love surprises.Now can you tell me everything you know on my faire "wife" at PARF?
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

SrEstebanLegaspi

SeƱor Esteban Maniquis y Legaspi
Nosce te ipsum

McGuinness

See, you've all found the cast lists all on your own.  ;) ;D Those lists are correct. The pics and bios are a bit wonky on the Blackfryar website, but the casts lists are correct. Now you can figure out who we all are starting in a few days.

Kit - I'll have to think about it and figure out what you'd know or need to know to play with. I'll get back to you on that one...

lordwriothsley

Eileen thats alright with me.I am so excited just thinking about this.As a matter of fact the more i think of this the more excited i get,You Doc and Patti Amor did an awesome job planning this.It looks like i'm in for quite a ride so i better fasten my seatbelt and hold on tight when i come to PARF this year. ;D
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"