News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

RenRats and Thievery

Started by David Ketchum, June 18, 2015, 07:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Ketchum

I've never camped TRF before but my wife and I really want to join this jolly bunch.  My concern is that campers are expected to setup their camp and then leave it abandoned while they enjoy the faire.  This has got me very nervous about leaving my gear unattended.  Is there any other way around this or do you experts have any tips ?  We're not part of any clan but we'll both be dressed to the hilt in pirate garb.

Thanks in advance for your much needed experience and stories.

Aaaaargh !  Huzzah

David

Trillium

I haven't ever had a problem with thievery but have heard of issues. Primarily it is coolers disappearing.  We make sure all of our valuables are locked in our vehicle, alcohol included, when we are in the faire.  Some people will use small locks to lock their tent when they are gone.  Before retiring for the night, we make sure nothing of value is outside the tent (including alcohol).  As you can guess, alcohol is most likely what will disappear when you aren't looking.  If they really want my old camp chairs, they can have them.  I need new ones anyway.... 
Got faerie dust?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I haven't had a problem and nether has anyone in my clan but you DO hear of things that have happened.  Since Terre Albert has come on board, LEO presence has increased greatly.  Some of it depends on where you camp, also...the closer you are to the Bonfire, the closer you are to the element that might make free with your stuff.

The only time someone got too curious for their own good was back in 2011, Opening weekend and we had parked along side of PR.  Laird Nasty and myself were crashed in the front seat of LN's truck.  It was a bit warm that weekend so I had my door propped open with a twig keeping the interior light off.  About 3am I heard two sets of feet walking by on the gravel road, they stopped and whispered for a minute...then very soft footsteps started to come towards my door.  In a very clear voice, I said, "Come any closer and you'll find out how big a hole a .45 makes" as I racked my pistol...those soft footsteps became a loud scramble that faded into the night. ;D

Come over to the TRF threads and join in on the conversations...most of us belong to one clan or another.  We can point you in the right direction...or at least point out a safe place to camp.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Awilda Rider

I think in 2013, there was an issue with someone going into tents and taking things at TRF. Security patrols regularly day and night, but if they don't act suspicious, it is hard to tell who belongs and who doesn't. The best bit of advice is to keep your valuables locked up in a vehicle or some other safe spot. I personally have never had an issue such as that, however I have lent items to someone in need and not had it returned. Rats come in all shapes and sizes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are we FAIRE yet?

batninja

Several years ago, I made the rookie mistakes of 1) renting a generator for my friend's RV, 2) renting a LOUD generator, and 3) leaving it unsecured overnight.  It ran out of gas sometime during the second night, and the next morning it was gone.  And the markup I had to pay back to the rental place for losing their property was...substantial.

As mentioned before, the closer to the bonfire you are, the more prone to shenanigans.  Especially since there are more folks walking around/through your campsite getting to and from the social center.  Camping in the fringe areas seems to alleviate the traffic issue.
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

mpullen

Just a "suggestion" and not wanting to "suggest" anything offensive or damaging to those little folks who feel they are entitled to whatever they can find/score.

Have a small foam cooler. Have bottled beer and when drinking, save the caps.

Now, this is mainly for the guys, but some gals will have good aim.

Refill those beer bottles with the processed beverage and recap. Place the bottles back in the cooler and make sure you have ice in it, so the thieves will have a "cool and refreshing" drink.

Also, suggest a game camera(s) placed in your camp.

Merlin the Elder

You bad, Mike! Like real bad!  Great idea!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RenStarr

Here's another suggestion.  Pour some Loki into some small bottles that you don't care about loosing and add some laxative.  Leave a few of those bottles out where they are easily seen during the day while your in Faire and/or at night once you've gone to bed.  That should keep the thief "busy" for awhile in the port a potty and out of other peoples stuff.  Just make sure those bottles are marked and the folks that are with you realize what's going on. 
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

scarletnyx

Husband and I have been camping for a few years now, and we haven't noticed anything missing. All of our truly valuables we usually take into faire ( expensive faire pieces, wallets, etc)

I wouldn't bring anything pricey electronic type out at faire, and if you did double make sure to lock it up.

LE presence has increased, and the kinds of people coming are more trustworthy and will watch out for their neighbors. The RenRats don't seem to be camping near where PR usually camps, and do seem to be getting pushed back.

You'll be fine if you take the same precautions you would if you were staying at , say, a hotel or travelling.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Druidiron

I'm late to this party but I have to agree with most everyone else. I left my cell phone in the tent 3 different weekends last year and no problems. And we always get as close to the bonfire as we can.  8)