News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

West Nile WARNING for MNRF

Started by AmazonSage, July 29, 2008, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Tyma

Well, regardless, it is good to know.  Heck, the way the weather is going this year, it might be 40 degrees out here in August.
--
Doc Tyma (but Adam is fine, too ;-)
Devious little wandering professor of symbols and signs

Lord Figaro

This is Minnesota after all, anything is possible.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

groomporter

Unless it rains soon I think we'll have to worry more about sandstorms and Shai hulud .
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Goody

Quote from: Ren Jen on July 30, 2008, 12:32:26 PM
Sorry if I insulted anyone.  I guess I just took it as a fact of life that it's here and it's not going away. Sorry your family members suffered Goody.  I hope they are all fine now. 

I surely wasn't insulted. What u said is true from what I hear is that most people never even know they got it. Gpas is fine. He's just old. We always joke tho cuz once uv had it u are immune from getting it again. So when are doping up and mentioning west nile my gpa loves to nonchalantly say Oh I dont worry about that (cuz it almost already killed me!)

Phelyp, Lord Maydestone

Hopefully the hot dry weather will keep the mosquito population down.  Anything's better than the flood on opening weekend last year!
It's always time for Chardonnay!

Lord Figaro

It would be nice to have a dry fest season wouldn't it?
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

groomporter

But too dry and it get's so dusty however. We need a "Camelot" weather system that only rains at night, (or only on weekdays) and not too hard.

Tipsy Gypsy

Quote from: Baron Doune on July 29, 2008, 06:28:15 PM
More worried about Bees in my mead.

They don't drink much Baron- but watching a drunk bee staggering around in the palm of my hand a few years ago is a favorite faire moment! :D

I'm a mosquito magnet, and for what it's worth, I'd been told for years that Avon's Skin So Soft lotion successfully deters the buggers- and this by men who'd sooner die than wear anything that might smell "girly". I tried it myself because milord finds the odor of DEET most repugnant indeed. The SSS does work quite well, surprisingly, and doesn's reek or smell "girly" if you get the original or the fragrance-free.

West Nile is common in my area, but rarely do we have reported cases, and rarer still to have serious ones, thank God. The best defense is common sense- repellent of some sort, and a healthy constitution.

"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Baron Doune

But Tipsy!

I mean, well, Skin so Soft?  Do I have to? 

And what about East Nile Virus thing or the Southwest Nile virus..ya, get no press what so ever...what about that!  Ha!  Poor little guys...you can feed one for only pennys a day, ya know.

Drunk bees...drunk barons.  hmmm...something to think about.

groomporter

Do the community a favor!  ;D
Drink more mead and the skeeters will be too drunk to bite someone else! ::)

Tipsy Gypsy

And the alcohol should kill any virus, right? *head slap* Why didn't I think of that; I've never been bitten by mosquitoes while drinking mead!

Hope the pesky little bastidges leave all of you alone up there!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"