News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Want to create my owe garb and need help

Started by joltanddestroy, July 13, 2015, 08:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joltanddestroy

Hey everyone!
My wife has been working at the Bristol Faire and I have always loved going.  I am finally starting to wear my own garb and really want to make it all myself.  If anyone has ideas or patterns, especially for pants, shoes, and shirts, that would be so wonderful.  I'm really excited and thanks to everyone ahead of time for helping me have a more enjoyable time.

isabelladangelo

For shirts, check out Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion IV.  She includes the patterns of extant ones and they are very easy to make on your own.  It's basically a lot of rectangles and a few triangles thrown together - no curves and nothing fitted except the cuffs. 

I only know of one person that makes their own shoes - shoes are rather difficult to make correctly and it's not worth wasting the leather.  Those you are better off buying for the most part.

Pants, almost any of the big 3 sewing pattern companies should have a decent pattern.  I know many people have had good luck with Simplicity 5574.