News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Nearby after faire campgrounds??

Started by Hector_, August 23, 2015, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector_

Good day,
I may be visiting Aug 29 as a newbie to Bristol (by no means a faire virgin, Texas Renaissance Festival is my home). Are there any campgrounds where Rennie's gather after close of gates?  Is there a time and tavern for meet and greet inside the gates?  What are the must see shows this year?
Thanks!!
-Lord Hector

Merlin the Elder

Hector, we'll be going to Bristol for the first time a week after you... I'll let you know what we find.  ::)  ???  :o  8)  ;D
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Renee Buchanan

We drive there and back the same day and have never camped.  I have never heard of anyone getting together in a campground after hours, since there are no close campgrounds.

Must see shows include Moonie, and then at 6 p.m. Moonie and Friends, which is all improv, and probably the funniest show at the faire. The drum jam is fun, and all of the musical shows are outstanding.  Do not miss the New Minstrel Revue 5 p.m. show.  Barely Balanced does amazing acrobatics.  If you are into history, the Noble Glade and the Queen's Court are very detail oriented and a glimpse into court life.  Adam Crack and the Fire Whip Show is great.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Hector_

Thank you both for your replies!  Can't wait for ... ?opening cannon? This Saturday!!
Merlin, I will see you at TRF!

Does Bristol have a brewery? Good Mead?

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Hector_ on August 27, 2015, 08:19:41 PM
... Merlin, I will see you at TRF! ...

If you do, Hector, it will likely be from hallucinogens. TRF isn't on our schedule.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Hector, you got baptism by fire today!  Bristol reached capacity of 24,000 by 1:30 this afternoon.  Both the paid parking and the free parking (a very long hike) were completely full, and they closed the gates at 1:30 for a little over an hour.  The cars were backed up on the Interstate trying to get to the exit, which was a safety hazard, so they closed the gates for a while to disperse the traffic.

For the first time ever, we had to park even with the kiosk where you pay to park at the very entrance.  We got a late start today and got there at 1130.  We were at the Friends of Faire Garden for the feast, so the lines for food were really long, as well as the privies.  I hope you enjoyed yourself today.

P.S.  Merlin, heard it might be the same way next weekend, closing weekend, so be sure to get there early.  Faire opens at 10, and they open the gates around 8, I think.  You don't have to go that early, but I'd be there by 9:30 to get a decent parking space and see the opening gate show.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Gauwyn of Bracknell

the paid parking gate opens at 9, at least all the times we have gone.  We usually get in line outside the gate around 8:30 or so - people meander around.  I have never been when the crowd has been that big.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

RefMom3

I had gone on Saturday, and the threat of rain may have caused some to wait until Sunday. I think once last year, they had to close the gates, too. For closing weekend, I have a hotel room in Waukegan, on the Illinois side of the border. It promises to be a phenomenal weekend ;)

Merlin the Elder

Can I safely assume there is handicap parking available?

Sir Ironhead

You mean at the faire I assume?  Yes there is right up by the entrance.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41