News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My Life as a Teacher...

Started by *Teach*, July 29, 2008, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Teach*

My life... every day... It's a wonder I stay sane...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc2_1186718038&c=1

*and ya'll wonder why I drink so much rum...*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Molden

You my friend are woefully underpaid...  :P
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

CatAshtrophy

This gets me so excited to start teaching in two weeks. Whee!

*Teach*

Quote from: CatAshtrophy on July 29, 2008, 10:04:47 PM
This gets me so excited to start teaching in two weeks. Whee!
First year teacher?
(just kidding)
I could possibly be excited...
But no... I've been teaching summer school
I have one week off this year for vacation
I... really need faire lol

*and rum... a large amount of rum*

CatAshtrophy

It will be my first year, but I know I'm in for some interesting exeriences.

brier patch charlie

I was going to be a History teacher, but the money ran out as did the VA Bennie's, and I still needed a year of student teaching, so I went on and graduated. But with the way the are dumbing down the school books each year and restricting teachers on what they can and can not teach, I would have a hard time being a teacher. Teaching kids to be good test takes is not the same. And the pay, well, teachers should be paid a hell of a lot more then what they get. I have always thought there pay should come from the Dept of Education. And payed as if they were a Federal emp.
To make what I make as a teacher I would have to have a Masters and been working for 10 years.
Charles Coleman

Lady_Claira

I'm going to teach. I just got accepted into the education department at my school so now, just four more years of classes in elem ed and special ed and then the Praxis and I'll be good to go.

I can't wait to teach.
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

*Teach*

Quote from: CatAshtrophy on July 29, 2008, 11:19:38 PM
It will be my first year, but I know I'm in for some interesting exeriences.
Hehe, I was just kidding but glad I guessed right lol

For the both of you as you go into teaching, good luck. It is perhaps the most rewarding and at the same time most frustrating jobs ever. You'll be expected to work hours way beyond what you are paid for and to buy your own supplies for class (can any other business force it's employees to buy their own pens? I doubt it), deal with parents who can't understand why you dont treat their little angel (aka demon spawn) better than the other 150 angels you have in class, deal with administrators who, every year, come up with some new strategy for teaching that they swear will be so much better than last years plan... only to give up on it before the first semester. And all this on a payscale that any other college graduate wouldn't even look twice at.
The rewards though, the smiles... the light bulb moments when they learn a new thing... the students who come back the next year to tell you that you were their favorite teacher (even though they griped about every little thing you did)... the grateful looks from parents when you are able to instill a sense of responsibility that they couldn't ... the assistant principal who brings you a student to talk to because they respect you more than the AP and threats of suspension... and many other rewards of the moment.
Is it worth it?
It'll be your call. About two thirds of people who take teaching jobs quit after only one or two years, those that make it... most stay in the schools until they retire and couldnt imagine doing it any other way.

*all that being said... stock up on rum, you'll need it those first few weeks for sure*

Lady_Claira

Stock up on rum?!? HA HA HA HA! Will do, though luckily I still have years before I even do student teaching. So far the bulk of my experience is two summers as a camp councilor and 60 hours this past year volunteering as the "special helper" in a 2nd grade classroom. (which I loved every moment of, saved all my good bye cards and can still remember every student's name in... LOL)

And considering I've wanted to do this since I was 5, (so that's almost 15 years now) I'm doubting I'll quit so quickly into it. I mean, I don't know, anything could happen, but I've loved every moment so far.

At least I have another four years to make sure it's what I really want to do. And I'll always have faires, rum, and other goodies to help take the stress away, right? :D
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Lady_Claira on July 30, 2008, 01:10:30 PM

And considering I've wanted to do this since I was 5, (so that's almost 15 years now) I'm doubting I'll quit so quickly into it. I mean, I don't know, anything could happen, but I've loved every moment so far.

Well, that explains a LOT.. LOL.. I don't know anyone that knew what they wanted to do for the rest of their life at that age either ;) 

Good luck with the teaching thing though, we need more GOOD teachers out there. 

**Be wary of taking advice from pirates who constantly talk about RUM**
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Lady_Claira

Quote from: PurpleDragon on July 30, 2008, 01:14:58 PM

*whispers* Psss... I don't like rum anyway. If I want to drink, I go with Vodka or Margarits... (mmm tequila...)

daylight

I`am not a teacher  in schools but I think that is geart that there are those of you who are. I know your job must not always be easy and I thank you for yur time given to all that you have taught and will teach. Teacher are some wounderful people because what they teach we learn and carry with us a life time. Thanks again for teaching

*Teach*

I'll remember that... next time you want a sip from my flask

Seriously Lady Claira, you will need something to occupy your mind away from school. The rum bit really is just my gag on here... I drink, but not as much as it sounds lol (and I really do like rum a lot lol). I find as many things as I can do to keep busy away from work, if you stop and dwell on all the problems the kiddos will lay on you... it'll break your heart and there is not a ton we can do about most of them.

*and Dragon is a rum fan too... dont let him fool you*

PurpleDragon

Quote from: x0x_teach_x0x on July 30, 2008, 02:34:25 PM
I'll remember that... next time you want a sip from my flask
Sure ya will.  right about the time I'm handing back your near empty flask

Quote from: x0x_teach_x0x on July 30, 2008, 02:34:25 PM
*and Dragon is a rum fan too... dont let him fool you*

I never confirmed, nor denied my penchant for RUM now did I?
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Tremayne

Quote from: x0x_teach_x0x on July 29, 2008, 09:32:25 PM
My life... every day... It's a wonder I stay sane...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cc2_1186718038&c=1

*and ya'll wonder why I drink so much rum...*

I don't have speakers on my tv but two things occurred to me as I watched it--who is lucky enough to have so few kids in their classroom (unless it's at an alternative school where they're trying to keep numbers below riot-forming levels)--and I know teachers who would weep to have such an engaged class  :D  Though maybe like Seinfeld they'd weep again upon hearing what comes out of the kids' mouths.

I agree that public school teachers have an overwhelming job and ought to get more support (and less interference) on many levels. I have toyed with the possibility of becoming a teacher but two things have kept me from it--I'm not good in the mornings (seriously) and I'm no good at crowd control, a skill every public school teacher needs.

However, if I may toot my horn a bit, I am really a good teacher one-on-one, in small groups and among people who actually want to learn (most adult learners). Thus I've decided to open a learning center here and hope to relieve teachers not necessarily of any of their burden, but of some disappointment from seeing kids flounder who just need a little extra attention and guidance that they don't get at home.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.