News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Upgrading the BPP ( AKA. Kids grow way too fast)

Started by LadyStitch, April 08, 2015, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

This past weekend we took the fuzzlet to Scarby and she had a blast but we started to see that she is growing out of her toddler size pink pirate outfit.  That being said I am trying to decide where I want to go from here with it.  The hat still fits well and looks cute on her.    She got new ren sandles this weekend.  They are ballet pink (she picked them out).   I am trying to decide 2 things.  1) Do I want to keep her in the bright pink she is now, or go with a more ballet pink to go with the shoes she has?   2)   Do I want to make her a coat, shirt and skirt,  or make the shirt and coat all one piece like it is now?

I am open for suggestions on where to take the garb next.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronald_the_bald/17070860692/in/set-72157651818330391  This is her this past weekend.

First photo is her in her first outfit with Nimb. The second is last years photo. We added a belt and tankard since then.

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Merlin the Elder

Hey! I know the old lady with her! She's been with me for 48 years!

Fuzzlet is gorgeous! Loved seeing her last weekend.  I think that outfit she wearing now is awesome...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Hoowil

I'd be kind of torn on making the coat/shirt combo. With my two kids I spend most of my sewing time keeping them garbed, so yes, they grow way too fast. It would be much easier to get her dressed and ready as a single piece, but its wouldn't be as flexible for things like heat. And it would probably be easier to make a single shirt that would have amble 'poof' to grow with her for a few seasons that have it be a single piece. But then, that means making two finished pieces instead of one, which means more time and fabric. I've done  all in one type things for Amara when she was a toddler, but as she (and Tristan) got older and bigger, I started doing it in separates, which gives them more options, and is easier to deal with things like messes (I have pictures somewhere of when Tristan was just over a year old, and a very nice lady gave him a chocolate lollipop while we were at the gate. What a mess....)
And there is nothing to say it has to be all a single shade of pink.
As always, its fun to see all the renlets as they grow...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadyStitch

Right now I am leaning towards a mini long sleeve peasants blouse,  then the coat over the top, then a very full skirt over the top of it all.  Her petticoat was made long with alot of gather to allow for me to let the waist out more as she grew, so that is working fine.

One problem I ran into and didn't think was that the wonderful lace on the cuffs will get dirty when she eats, and plays in the dirt.  I would need something I could clean/ bleach easily. 

As for color, having her in the bright pink is handy when we are in a crowd.  She ( like her dada) is easy to spot.  I don't see why we couldn't  trade out different pinks in different parts. 

Hoowil

Nice thing with the skirts, is if you make a deep enough hem, and a waistband that can grow with her (drawstring or elastic, gasp! I know) its super easy to let out to keep length, or even add a band or hem guard on the bottom. If only I would remember to do that...
I totally get the finding in a crowd issue. When Amara was toddling, I would get a balloon on the way to the fair, and hook it to the back of her garb, so if she ducked into a crowd I could follow the balloon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadyStitch

I remembered this morning a problem I had been running into, layers at the waist.   With her current outfit she would have pull up, then tights or shorts, then petticoat, then skirt.   During the day they would slip down to her hips and she would have this  gap between the front of her jacket and the skirt.   

I had an idea I wanted to throw out.  Instead of skirt and blouse  make an underdress.  There would be a white muslin long sleeve bodice where I could attach the sleeve ruffles.  Then I could attach the skirt to bodice.  No more gap and less layers.   The draw back is that as she out grows the bodice I would need to make a new one, however I could re use the skirt. 

A trick one of my theatrical friends showed me is to use 'decrorative'  tucks to add hem length. Make the skirt 6 inches too long.  Hem it.  Then measure up 4 inches do a 1 inch tuck.  Then go up another 4 inches, and do another,  and then another.  You get that nice period look, and 6 inches of growth skirt room.   I know someone who also did that for her kids bloomers.  Just used a draw string in the waist. 

Speaking of which, she might be at the age where bloomers might not be a bad idea.  hmm.....

Hoowil

What I found with Amara is that she doesn't (still) have much waist, and her skirts sagged horribly down to her hips. I've tried putting in hook & eye tucked up inside the bodice and along the top of the skirt. Worked well, but was difficult to put on. I tried suspender-like straps to hold up skirts, but she thought they were uncomfortable. I've just started doing ties to attach the skirts to her bodice, and so far its worked amazing. Its period, and makes an easy accent point too. The red bows at her sides keep her skirts up.

Bloomers or shorts are a must, at least once out of diapers/pull-ups.

LadyStitch

Well the remaking of the BPP's outfit has begun.    Her Nanna had found a multi pink colored drapery piece with a nice satin lining.  I took it apart and used that for the outfit.  She has a pirate coat of her own now.  She was absolutely bouncing when she got to try it on.
Then I took the petticoat that she has been wearing that is now way too short.  I took the ruffle off and added it to a muslin base.  When I tried it on her I couldn't' get it off her for 4 hours.  I think she loved it. 
I am currently working on the underdress.  It will be based off of a Victorian Butterick pattern but funny enough it is very close to a 1730's little girl's dress pattern.  So win win there.   There is enough of the Pink coat fabric to make her a skirt we can switch out with.  That way we can throw a t shirt or something under the jacket on hot days, and still have her fancy dress for regular stuff.