News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tips for perfect joins in bias binding? (Hat trim)

Started by gem, September 16, 2015, 01:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I love binding things--corsets, necklines, mundane stuff--and my technique is really pretty good... except when it comes to joining ends. I've never mastered the perfect length, nearly-invisible seam. I have all sorts of sneaky ways to avoid it--binding in the flat so joins are hidden in seams; overlapping the ends and slipstitching down...

But I'm binding the edge of a buckram hat brim, and I don't think that's going to cut it.

I know the *theory* behind joining bias ends properly; but mine never turn out that well.

Any tips or suggestions for mastering this?
Gramercy!!

Dinobabe

Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Ooh, that looks handy. And it comes in a mini version, too, for small projects!

(Thanks for linking to the video, btw. I wouldn't have had a clue what to do with that thing otherwise!)

Dinobabe

Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Have ordered the mini one from Amazon! It should be here by the time I'm mentally ready to bind the brim. LOL

Stuben

Neat little ruler but you don't really need it. Once you get to the two ends like she has shown all you need to do is press the diagonal cut edges a 1/4 inch to the inside and tuck one into the other and sew it down. As long as you have some overlap it will be fine.

Stuben

bookwench

What a brilliant little tool!  Thanks so much for posting this. 

Quote from: Dinobabe on September 16, 2015, 10:52:15 AM
For quilts I have this.  Don't know if it would work on hats!  lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2PajesRvU
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner