News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What to wear to my first SCA event?

Started by arbcoind, September 16, 2015, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbcoind

I've been invited by friends to an SCA event.  This is the information I received:

Meeting minutes for September 6, 2015:

Baron & Baroness:   Baronial Champs is only a few weeks away on October 3 at Loraine Borough Park.  Current champions.......starting planning your tourney format and bring your regalia to the event. 

:   Baronial Champs – watch email for details, schedule, and potluck dinner information

My question is what would be appropriate to wear?  All my garb is "wench".  I have various chemises and skirts.  Would it be okay to wear a chemise, skirt, belt and pouch and skip the bodice?  Any suggestions are appreciated!

Gina

isabelladangelo

I wouldn't skip the bodice - that would get some looks.  A simple, non -bop (boobs on a platter) bodice that covers decently well is fine even if the material isn't period.   No one expects you to be perfect at your first event...or tenth.  :-)

Do you have access to a sewing machine?   A simple a-tunic is ridiculously useful for SCA events - I have two with two apron dresses (Norse) and I can combine them in different way to make a wide variety of garb.  ...Norse is also good for rain days at the Renn Fest (the original Pirate garb!!!!)

gem

I think the big question is... do you WANT new garb? You've got about 3 weeks, which is enough time to make or order something simple.

You mentioned "various chemises," and I see that you're wearing a lovely bronzey-colored one in your avatar. Do you have a WHITE one? That's going to be most accurate, and will instantly make your wench garb look less like Renfest, and more like you're making an effort. :)

Here are a couple of images that might help--period bodice/skirt combinations. You can zoom in on each image for better detail.
Splendor Solis
Fete at Bermondsey

If you have (or can make) a skirt the same basic color as one of your bodices, that will make it look more kirtle-like.

A couple fun, easy accessories can instantly elevate the accuracy of your garb: coifs, aprons, partlets, petticoats. No stuff hanging off your belt (take a basket if you need to tote things around). Make sure your hair is worn up and covered (not down and loose).

Unless you're fully planning on joining and going all-in  :D, there's no need to get too worked up about what to wear at first. Your friends might even be willing to help you out with loaner garb.

Have fun!!

arbcoind

Thank you both for your advice.  This may well be my first of many SCA events or my last so I would like to work with what I have now.  I do have a simple non-boned bodice.  Is that okay with a cotton drawstring chemise and cotton pleated skirt?  The bodice is mostly black with some "old gold" threading in it.  The chemise and skirt are black.  Thanks for the heads up on the basket.  Hmmm on the headwear.  My hair is slightly longer than shoulder length.  So hats are out of the question?  Again, thank you for all suggestions!

Gina

isabelladangelo

I'd be careful of a no-boned bodice.  Unless it has a curved front and has a lot of thick material inside, most ladies don't have enough support to carry their....ladies.   There is little less attractive than boobs at stomach level...which I have seen and it cannot be unseen. 

A drawstring chemise and a pleated cotton skirt are fine.  Again, no one expects you to be perfect.  A bodice with a  couple of bones near the opening that holds you in position is great.  If you don't have one - really, an a-line tunic is fab.  If you want, make one in white linen with angel sleeves that you can later use as a rather lovely renn faire chemise.  Just wear your black chemise beneath it.

As for the hats:  I rarely wear one to SCA events.  The Italians just didn't wear hats.  Veils were all the rage.   A simple white yard by a yard linen square on your head works wonders.  Most people just wear a snood if your hair isn't long enough to braid.  You do need to wear your hair up, however. 

arbcoind

The bodice I have is pretty sturdy with boning near the front opening.  It supports me very well.  Wearing my boobs at stomach level is not only unattractive, it is uncomfortable!

Luckily I have 2 more weekends at the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival.  I will look for a snood to cover my hair.

Thanks so much for the help!

Gina

arbcoind

[/URL]][/img]

This is what I have. 

isabelladangelo

That's fine.  In the future, a white chemise (or a natural colored one) will be better but I doubt anyone will give you weird looks.  :-)

arbcoind

Thanks Isabella.  I have a white chemise.  I just thought the black "looked" better.

isabelladangelo

Oh no!  Wear the white, it will look MUCH better to everyone in the SCA.  They simply did not wear colored chemises - other than saffron in Ireland- back in the middle ages and renaissance.  The reason is very simple - it's the red sock affect.  You didn't want all that lovely dye all over your skin.   So anything touching your skin was left undyed.   

arbcoind

White it is!  Thanks for the explanation.

Gina

PollyPoPo

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 17, 2015, 05:39:49 PM
Oh no!  Wear the white, ... reason is very simple - it's the red sock affect.  You didn't want all that lovely dye all over your skin.   So anything touching your skin was left undyed.   

Thanks for explaining that.  I have always wondered why the white or natural fabric and this so totally makes sense.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

isabelladangelo

No problem!   Yeah, multi-colored underarms aren't attractive in any century.  :-D  Also, you'd wash the chemise much more often than your clothing that went over it.   Since dyes fade as they are washed due to the bleeding of the dye (particularly bad on linen!), dying the chemise also didn't make economical sense.   There are several paintings from the Renaissance showing all the undies - chemises, slops, ect- laying out on the lawn or on clothing lines to be sun bleached clean. 

Really, there were a lot of reasons but it mostly comes down to no one wants to look like a four year old who got into the permanent markers. 

arbcoind

Just some feedback on my garb experience at the SCA event.  There wasn't a white chemise or snood in sight.  All ladies wore dark colored "chemises" under a tunic or apron dress.  All wore their hair down and most wore a leather fur trimmed hat.  Anyway, I was told that I looked nice and was invited to their 12th night event.  Soooo...what to wear?

I don't think a tunic or apron dress would be very flattering on me.  I like something a little more fitted.  I found this from Armstreet:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/97449519/medieval-black-cotton-dress-with-bodice?ref=shop_home_active_4

I like the fact that it is two pieces, I can wear the dress alone or with the vest.  I can also wear it in the mundane world.  Thanks for any comments.

Gina

isabelladangelo

Well, the apron dress is 8th through early 11th century - under the tunic dress, you are supposed to wear a thin white linen layer.  Yes, most don't at SCA events.   Over the tunic dress - which is colored- goes the apron dress.  Your style was vaguely 16th century which has a completely different set of rules.  It's like comparing what we wear now to 18th century styles, it doesn't work at all.   

The armstreet looks like it's going for a bliaut and not quite getting there.

To give you an idea of what a typical SCA 12th Night looks like, here's my album from a couple of years ago: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/jubileel/album/435025

12th Night is TOP CLASS garb for the most part.   You want to put your absolute best foot forward.  If you like armstreet, maybe this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/158934736/kirtle-corset-dress-central-europe?ref=shop_home_active_8

arbcoind

Isabella, thank you so much for your pictures.  I now have a much better idea of what to expect.  Also I appreciate your posting the Armstreet link.  The kirtle is lovely.

isabelladangelo

:-)  I just don't want you to be the person in the equivalent of your jeans and t-shirt when everyone else is in their cocktail dresses. 

Rani Zemirah

Gina, do you know what era/century the court of your Barony is representing, by any chance?  That might give you a better idea of what to expect at your 12th Night celebration... and if they have a web presence you might go take a peek at past celebrations, if they have open access.  Or ask your sponsor/invitation issuer to provide you with a few photos of past events.  The Armstreet kirtle really IS lovely, though, isn't it?!  I really do like lots of their clothes, even if a few of them aren't exactly completely period perfect. 

The Armstreet interpretations are, for the most part, pretty wonderful... and I'm pretty sure that many of them will be acceptable for a newcomer even for 12th Night.  Isabella is right, though... it's THE big celebration of the year for most Baronies, and depending on how your Barony celebrates it, pretty much everyone (down to the "peasants" and "serfs") will be decked out in their finest!  But no one expects you to show up in Nobles, or even upper middles, for your first big event, since that's usually something members work up to over time (unless they are already VERY accomplished seamsters, or have lots of disposable income!), so several of the more reasonably priced choices from Armstreet should work perfectly, as long as it doesn't have the word "fantasy" in it's title!  heheh  Can't wait to see what you choose, whether it's from this site or something else you find!  I've been wanting to attend our Mid Winter Feast for a couple of years, now, but it's been beyond my resources so far.  Maybe this year...  :) 

Oh, I almost forgot!  I noticed that the Armstreet dresses have metal eyelets, but it looks like they would be easy to cover with a matching silk or linen embroidery thread, to give it just a little more of an authentic feel... and if you're not all that confident of your ability you could practice on eyelet tape
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

arbcoind

Rani, thank you for your input.  Much appreciated!  I requested an add to the Barony facebook page and will look through their photos once I am accepted.

Gina

RenJunkie

Not all baronies necessarily are doing an impression of a specific place and time. You'll likely see a broad array of times and places represented with just as broad a range of accuracy and execution. I would start by assessing what time you would like to do an impression of, and where. Make that one, of whatever class you choose to do, your focus. Or you may just go with simplest to make/cheapest to buy (of reasonable quality). Revival Clothing has good stuff, at least out to the 15th century, but it's not going to be the cheapest you can lay hands on. Not bad for linen and wool clothing, tho. Pretty well researched.

You're not doing bad, tho. You're ahead of a lot SCAdians. Also remember, this doesn't have to be perfectly H/A. You can improve bit by bit. Do what you can comfortably afford (or make), and don't worry about getting it all right all at once.

Unless you can afford it, then go for it! lol

Thanks!
Chris

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: arbcoind on October 11, 2015, 11:30:02 AM
Rani, thank you for your input.  Much appreciated!  I requested an add to the Barony facebook page and will look through their photos once I am accepted.

Gina

Oh, good... I think that will probably be the best way to figure out what styles and period are being represented, so you have an easier time narrowing down your choices, and finding something you really love!  There will probably be some written info about their court, it's "history" and the era it recreates, as well as a page for new and prospective members to learn about all of the benefits of membership... so it will be a really good resource in helping you to decide if it's right for you.  I hope you tell us some of what you learn, so we at least know what sort of styles you will be looking at !  :) 

And it's true... you are not required to match their storyline exactly, not at all!  It's as much about having fun as it is anything else, so definitely make that your priority! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

arbcoind

Thank you Chris for your additional thoughts and ideas and for recommending Revival Clothing. 

Rani, I've been accepted to the FB group.  There isn't a whole lot of information on the Barony but I did look at some photos from their last 12th night.  I must say the ladies garb is all over the place.  I'm seeing some medieval, some renaissance, and some Viking/Nordic so I'm not going to worry too much.  I just want to enjoy the day and have some fun.  My friends who are members of the Barony aren't much help either.  They say any reasonable garb is acceptable.  *shrugs*

Gina

Rani Zemirah

Then it sounds like they're pretty relaxed about it all, so just find something you really love that looks wonderful on you, and have a great time!  And make sure to have your photo taken as often as possible, so you can post them here for us to see!  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

RenJunkie

You're welcome, Gina. Hope it's useful.

Thanks!
Chris