News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What to wear to my first SCA event?

Started by arbcoind, September 16, 2015, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbcoind

Isabella, thank you so much for your pictures.  I now have a much better idea of what to expect.  Also I appreciate your posting the Armstreet link.  The kirtle is lovely.

isabelladangelo

:-)  I just don't want you to be the person in the equivalent of your jeans and t-shirt when everyone else is in their cocktail dresses. 

Rani Zemirah

Gina, do you know what era/century the court of your Barony is representing, by any chance?  That might give you a better idea of what to expect at your 12th Night celebration... and if they have a web presence you might go take a peek at past celebrations, if they have open access.  Or ask your sponsor/invitation issuer to provide you with a few photos of past events.  The Armstreet kirtle really IS lovely, though, isn't it?!  I really do like lots of their clothes, even if a few of them aren't exactly completely period perfect. 

The Armstreet interpretations are, for the most part, pretty wonderful... and I'm pretty sure that many of them will be acceptable for a newcomer even for 12th Night.  Isabella is right, though... it's THE big celebration of the year for most Baronies, and depending on how your Barony celebrates it, pretty much everyone (down to the "peasants" and "serfs") will be decked out in their finest!  But no one expects you to show up in Nobles, or even upper middles, for your first big event, since that's usually something members work up to over time (unless they are already VERY accomplished seamsters, or have lots of disposable income!), so several of the more reasonably priced choices from Armstreet should work perfectly, as long as it doesn't have the word "fantasy" in it's title!  heheh  Can't wait to see what you choose, whether it's from this site or something else you find!  I've been wanting to attend our Mid Winter Feast for a couple of years, now, but it's been beyond my resources so far.  Maybe this year...  :) 

Oh, I almost forgot!  I noticed that the Armstreet dresses have metal eyelets, but it looks like they would be easy to cover with a matching silk or linen embroidery thread, to give it just a little more of an authentic feel... and if you're not all that confident of your ability you could practice on eyelet tape
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

arbcoind

Rani, thank you for your input.  Much appreciated!  I requested an add to the Barony facebook page and will look through their photos once I am accepted.

Gina

RenJunkie

Not all baronies necessarily are doing an impression of a specific place and time. You'll likely see a broad array of times and places represented with just as broad a range of accuracy and execution. I would start by assessing what time you would like to do an impression of, and where. Make that one, of whatever class you choose to do, your focus. Or you may just go with simplest to make/cheapest to buy (of reasonable quality). Revival Clothing has good stuff, at least out to the 15th century, but it's not going to be the cheapest you can lay hands on. Not bad for linen and wool clothing, tho. Pretty well researched.

You're not doing bad, tho. You're ahead of a lot SCAdians. Also remember, this doesn't have to be perfectly H/A. You can improve bit by bit. Do what you can comfortably afford (or make), and don't worry about getting it all right all at once.

Unless you can afford it, then go for it! lol

Thanks!
Chris

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: arbcoind on October 11, 2015, 11:30:02 AM
Rani, thank you for your input.  Much appreciated!  I requested an add to the Barony facebook page and will look through their photos once I am accepted.

Gina

Oh, good... I think that will probably be the best way to figure out what styles and period are being represented, so you have an easier time narrowing down your choices, and finding something you really love!  There will probably be some written info about their court, it's "history" and the era it recreates, as well as a page for new and prospective members to learn about all of the benefits of membership... so it will be a really good resource in helping you to decide if it's right for you.  I hope you tell us some of what you learn, so we at least know what sort of styles you will be looking at !  :) 

And it's true... you are not required to match their storyline exactly, not at all!  It's as much about having fun as it is anything else, so definitely make that your priority! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

arbcoind

Thank you Chris for your additional thoughts and ideas and for recommending Revival Clothing. 

Rani, I've been accepted to the FB group.  There isn't a whole lot of information on the Barony but I did look at some photos from their last 12th night.  I must say the ladies garb is all over the place.  I'm seeing some medieval, some renaissance, and some Viking/Nordic so I'm not going to worry too much.  I just want to enjoy the day and have some fun.  My friends who are members of the Barony aren't much help either.  They say any reasonable garb is acceptable.  *shrugs*

Gina

Rani Zemirah

Then it sounds like they're pretty relaxed about it all, so just find something you really love that looks wonderful on you, and have a great time!  And make sure to have your photo taken as often as possible, so you can post them here for us to see!  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

RenJunkie

You're welcome, Gina. Hope it's useful.

Thanks!
Chris