News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

looking for boot patterns

Started by Ser Niall, September 28, 2015, 03:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Niall

I've done some searching online, and I haven't been able to find anything suitable.  Does anyone know where I can get a good boot pattern to make my own ren faire boots?  I spent way too much time in Son of Sandlar looking at the awesome boots they sell, but I just can't afford to pull the trigger on a $700+ pair of boots.  I have a lot of good leather pieces that I inherited from my grandparents (my grandma worked with leather), so if I can find a decent pattern I'm pretty confident I can make an ok pair to wear to the festival.

I've seen patterns for Native American moccasin style boots, like what minnetonka sells, but I'm not looking for that style.  More in line with the look of the Son of Sandlar boots, with the buttons going up the side and what not.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Lady L

Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Ser Niall

Those could work, I'll check them out.

I also came across this book. Not sure if it has actual patterns in it but maybe it can give me some inspiration for making my own?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

patrickg

If you want to do boots in the same vein as Son of Sandlar, this look has fairly extensive instructions:
http://www.seamlyne.com/design/costume/footwear/getting_the_pattern.asp

Haven't tried myself yet, but it's on the list lol.

Ser Niall

RenJunkie

You can get a good shoe pattern and then add a tall shaft. I've seen guys do similar to that with biker boots. They cut the original shaft off and stitch a taller one on. Just gotta leave room at the ankle, or add in laces.

I make that sound easier than it is...lol

Another option is to make a last. Find a pair of boots that work, like maybe a pair of rubber rain boots. Pour plaster in them, and then cut the boot away. Use the plaster as a mold to wet-form the leather around. I can't remember where I saw that trick. I think it was for women's shoes, but I'm pretty sure the concept will work with boots.

One day, I'm gonna have the time to try that....lol

Thanks!
Chris