News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Straw vs Mulch

Started by LadyStitch, September 30, 2015, 09:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

Ever since a year when our canopy floor was a mud pit, we have brought two bales of straw to lay down in case of mud.  The past three years they have ended up simply sitting in the corner not being used.  I know every year it is possible for mud but I am finding that using straw is getting expensive.  It use to be $2 a bale, not a big deal.  Now it is costing between $10-12 per bale.  As we lost 4 of our members in the past year to medical problems our budget is much smaller than in past years.

My thought is to get 2 bags of wood mulch or chips or even wood shavings and take that instead of spending so much on something that takes alot of space and is of no real use.

What are your thoughts and opinions?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Yrose

A shaved bedding material wood work good and be cheaper.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

LadyStitch

After seeing the aftermath of this past weekend,  We will be going with at least 1 bale of straw.  Watching some groups have ankle deep water in their kitchen pushed me for more traction in my camp. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.