News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scandinavian theme weekend?

Started by groomporter, September 22, 2015, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

I tossed the idea of a Scandinavian themed weekend at management.

Seems to fit the local population base even better than the Irish and Highland weekends. I suggested they contact the groups that organize Syttende Mai and Svenskarnas Dag events. The American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis should have contacts for local Scandinavian music and dance groups. There's the The Sons of Norway organization, and the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America seems to be based in Minneapolis. There's probably a local Scandinavian genealogy group. There's more to Norse culture than Vikings...
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Naween

There is also a Viking reenactmen group out in Fargo-Moorhead, North Dakota/Minnesota that would probably come out to play if invited. My viking-reenactment group in Winnipeg has some contacts with them.

Gwyndolyn

I am up on the Iron Range and would love to see something about the Finns as well, would also not be 100% opposed to a bit of Russian culture bleeding in.

groomporter

Quote from: Gwyndolyn on May 22, 2016, 08:35:11 PM
I am up on the Iron Range and would love to see something about the Finns as well, would also not be 100% opposed to a bit of Russian culture bleeding in.

We used to have a couple 2, or 3 Russian characters for a few years who portrayed ambassadors to the old Royal Court.

The Viking group that started a couple years ago seems to be continuing to do well. Their camp is in kind of a low traffic corner behind the water wheel and above what used to be the Falconer's Stage back in the day
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?