News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Buttons?

Started by Raiza, October 10, 2015, 10:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiza

Hello all!

I'm having the hardest time finding proper buttons for my newest garb and my boyfriend's doublet. What size buttons do you all recommend for doublets and panned sleeves?

Also, are there any websites that you can recommend for metal buttons? Pillaged Village doesn't have the selection they used to. :(

Thanks!

gem

LadyStitch

I was actually about to post something about buttons.   I'm on the look out for square buttons to put on a Prince Charlie jacket and vest.  My google-fu has not been good, and I haven't found anything in my button source links.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

isabelladangelo

LadyStitch

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Don Giovanni de' Medici

Hi Raiza,

Buttons are a wonderful way to properly fit to your class as well. More or less, on the right doublet, more buttons equals more money (higher station). If you are looking for a working class attire you might forego buttons altogether and elect to use ties instead. Merchant class would have had buttons, though not as ornate or as many as the nobles. Just remember what you wore made a statement. Buona Fotuna!

Quote from: Raiza on October 10, 2015, 10:18:47 AM
Hello all!

I'm having the hardest time finding proper buttons for my newest garb and my boyfriend's doublet. What size buttons do you all recommend for doublets and panned sleeves?

Also, are there any websites that you can recommend for metal buttons? Pillaged Village doesn't have the selection they used to. :(

Thanks!
Sincero,

Don Giovanni de' Medici
Ambasciatore del Granducato della Toscana
"Dio conserva il Papa"

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

My personal favorite place to order buttons, Trims, and other accessories  for garb is www.pillagedvillage.com Customer service is very good.

For Chemises and shirts, 1/2 to 5/8 inch shank buttons that can be ordered in dozens or grosses.

They also have fancier buttons I have used for Doublets, Pirate coats that are 1" to 1 1/4" wide and average $1 to $2 each. Which reminds me, I need more buttons.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde