News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Request for Assistance- Research Project- Performers Help

Started by Kruzar, July 31, 2008, 05:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kruzar

I made an original post in the main section of the forum, and I have received quite a bit of feedback in regards to things that should be at my fictional faire.  There are a few items that I am still missing, and I am hoping this wonderful community can help answer some of these items. 

From a performers standpoint...

I am really looking for items that draw you to the faires that you currently attend.  My current idea for attracting participation to my fictional faire is a decent compensation package for performers with the option of passing the hat, areas for camping, possible food stipend, and good faire management.

Where I am a bit shady is when it comes to how we get acts to our faire.  My thoughts is some sort of bidding process/requesting for acts to attend.  And I am also trying to come up with base figures or a range of figures in the way of compensation. 

For my research project, I have already started with the thought of the faire running for 3 Days.  I am looking at having 4 stages spaced out around the fairgrounds, and having 3-4 shows per performance group per day.  Most shows general audience, with a more risque show towards closing time.

So Please share your thoughts... I am hoping to gain some insight that will really help my school project.  Thank you...
Gentleman Rogue

Terry Griffith

Kruzar,

Some Ren Faire performers work at as many faires as they can schedule.  One of the contributing factors in getting work at faires other than the ones that are close to where they live and perform outside ren fests is PR.  An up to date web site that lists all the performers is a plus.  It lends legitimacy to an act and EDs can check out a performer's resume by seeing them listed on the web site for a faire.

Another bit of PR that helps CD sales is if a performer is used in the opening gate show.  People make sure they find the stage where a performer will be if they are seen in the opening show and get to play a bit.

"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

temper

When I did a faire I couldn't pay much so I offered the following:
Free vendor space (this worked with musicians who also sold CDs and instruments)
A food tab with the food service for cast and some performers, a green room/dressing area with cold cuts and water for all other performers/vendors and beer/soda coupons with the food service.
An empty "stage" that was available all day for acts to play around (it was near the picnic tables so we got free entertainment for people dining as well!)
They were welcome to do low-key "hat-pass"

At the end I gave a bonus to two acts that did extra shows (of their own volition!) to cover some no-shows.

And if you find a nice act that suits your needs-they travel the circuit and can bend your ear about other acts that come recommended.

Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: Kruzar on July 31, 2008, 05:19:49 PM
From a performers standpoint...

I am really looking for items that draw you to the faires that you currently attend.  My current idea for attracting participation to my fictional faire is a decent compensation package for performers with the option of passing the hat, areas for camping, possible food stipend, and good faire management.

Where I am a bit shady is when it comes to how we get acts to our faire.  My thoughts is some sort of bidding process/requesting for acts to attend.  And I am also trying to come up with base figures or a range of figures in the way of compensation. 

For my research project, I have already started with the thought of the faire running for 3 Days.  I am looking at having 4 stages spaced out around the fairgrounds, and having 3-4 shows per performance group per day.  Most shows general audience, with a more risque show towards closing time.

What is your total budget alloted for entertainment?  How many "headliner" stage shows are you wanting at your fictional faire?  How much "local" and/or "non-headliner" shows are you, as the ED, willing to use?  Headliners cost bookoo bucks where your local groups and well travelled but non-headliner groups charge better (aka lower) rates.  Do you have "wiggle" room in your budget for groups that have many members, as the more people in a group expecting a paycheck will raise the price of the group.

What kind of advertising are you willing to do for your acts?  Will there be pictures of them in your brochures handed out to patrons?  Will their names be seen easily in the brochures or buried beneath "junk?"  How will the signage at the crossroads and stages be done?  Will said signage be bold and easily read or hidden away with small lettering?

How do you plan to showcase your stage acts through out the day?  Does your fictional faire lean heavily on music based shows or is it open to ALL genres of stage shows - i.e., comedic, sword swallowing, trained animals, etc. 

How many of each type of show do you plan on having?  Is there a theme to each corner of your faire to better fit the themes of some groups (i.e., wharf/pirate area, open air pubs, etc)?

Speaking to what I look for when booking events for my stage show; I look for the faire's length of operation, its ability to pay us (no, it's not going to be our mundane wages), will we get at least our lunch provided for us by faire management?  Can we pass the hat for tips and sell merchandise at each of our shows each faire day?  Will we have lodgings of some kind that includes bathrooms and hot showers?  Will we have a place to park our cargo trailer for the duration of the event and yet keep it safe from being plowed into?  Will we be listed on their website?  Will they treat us decently or treat us like crap?  What is the overall reputation of the faire?  Do we need to provide our own water, ice chests, and ice for said chests?  What is the "lay of the land" of the faire site?  Will we need to provide our own shading for the audiences?  Will we have to "stage hop" or will we have a dedicated stage to perform at?  Is there a place to safely store our props and merchandise between shows?  What is their gate attendance like?  If it is a 1st-4th year event - how aggresively do they advertise in all forms of media?  Are there signs from all compass/driving directions leading into the faire site?  Has the faire got the community supporting it or is it working against a turned off community?

For myself, I prefer to have the ability to sell our merchandise at the stage where we are performing - it makes for better sales.  I absolutely despise having to run a booth.  If I wanted to run a booth, I'd be a vendor and not a stage show - we lug around enough without having to come up with decorations and such for a booth!

Just my thoughts, hope it helps you out with your project!
Fair Winds
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.