News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

pirate talking and or lingo/ phrases and help

Started by daylight, May 23, 2008, 08:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daylight

I need to learn how to talk like a pirate I will be auditioning on June the 7 for all girl pirate team that travels from state to state.They do a comdet act the comdey is fun but the ling is a challange. Can anyone help me with the pirate talk?  I how to talk like a lady at court. and to greet and so on but not really any lingo that is for a pirate. Hahoy matie that`s about it. Can you please help me, any ref you can give would help.  Thanks ;D ;D

Ottheinrich

daylight

Thank you so much Ottheinrich.   ;D I visted the site you sent  and I think that it` will a good one and it`s  has lots of info there. thank you once again  ;D

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

well. dearie, what seperates us pirates from the rest of the grass combing lubbers out there is that we be men of the sea first an foremost. So any good pirate impersonation has his/her language richly seasoned with shipboard phrases.  Now, if'n that hae brought ye by the lee, I reccommend reading the Master and Commander series of novels, in which the life of a seaman is brought to life better n any other. IMHO.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

VIII

First and foremost: get a catchphrase for your character.
I believe it was the movie "Captain Kidd" with Charles Laughton (who was born in Scarborough, York, England) who used the phrase, "You Slummerky Blaggart!" which my wife and I still find infinitely amusing, with no real idea to what he is referring.
Novie Bowden, playing Capt. Latimer Fairfield at Scarborough Faire used "Son-of-a-whoore!" to great effect.
Find your own, give it a twist, make it your own!

Capt. Cuthbert "Cut-throat" Marooney "I et 'em!"
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

daylight

Thank you all for your help Well here goes on the catch phase. Aye smarty lass you be bring`n  me my grog ;D      well how did that sound let me know

Sir Francis Drake

A bit slow to reply here, my apologies. The advice about learning some naval terms is spot on! That is a definite must for any type of naval character to get the audience to suspend belief. Learning to tell the difference to the audience about stern and aft, starboard and port, leeward and windward can go a long way to support the naval image; regardless if it is pirate or actual regular navy, or merchant sailor. The founder of the the performing troupe I belong to found a couple of very helpful books by searching Amazon.com using pirate/naval terms and languages for search parameters. You might consider taking a look; couldn't hurt. I don't have them in front of me, so I'll email him and ask for the revelant info and post it here if you would like.

Lastly, remember, never say yes; it is aye, aye; and never call anyone sir, it would Captain {or other rank such as Bosun's Mate } or simply Mister "their name". Quite a lot of protocols like this existed in regular navies as well as on pirate ships; especially since a good number of pirates were former navy men to begin with.

Hope this helps:)
Master of the Golden Hinde
Captain-General of The Brotherhood of the Waves
In Service to HRM Queen Elizabeth I

daylight

wht thank you Sir Francis Drake you have been of great help thr fact that you took the time to e-mal somone on behalf is wounderful thank you once again  ;D

King Henry Tudor

Apologies for chiming in so late to this topic but if one truly wishes to learn authentic and accurate pirate speach, then there is no better source than a book called The Pirate Primer.

Here's the link to it on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Primer-Mastering-Language-Swashbucklers/dp/1582974896

This is truly an awesome book that was meticulously researched by the author who puts to rest many pirate myths and sets the record straight on many points.  A highly recommended read for any serious Pirate Portrayer!
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

Sir Francis Drake

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on July 08, 2008, 08:46:17 PM
Apologies for chiming in so late to this topic but if one truly wishes to learn authentic and accurate pirate speach, then there is no better source than a book called The Pirate Primer.

Here's the link to it on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Primer-Mastering-Language-Swashbucklers/dp/1582974896

This is truly an awesome book that was meticulously researched by the author who puts to rest many pirate myths and sets the record straight on many points.  A highly recommended read for any serious Pirate Portrayer!

A very good book, this is the one I referred to a few posts above. It is used by our various sea dogs of the Fishers Faire. Thanks for posting it Sir William; time got away from me due to a variety of issues.

Master of the Golden Hinde
Captain-General of The Brotherhood of the Waves
In Service to HRM Queen Elizabeth I