News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dark Shadows

Started by CountessofPhoenix, August 01, 2008, 01:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountessofPhoenix

Slightly out of the Reanaissance thread, but nonetheless a first step towards historical obsession, Dark Shadows is being made into a movie. Tim Burton directing his favorite: Johnny Depp as Barnabas. Witches and vampires and werewolves Oh MY!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

serenamoonsilver

Hmm...I'm most defintely intrigued.  I like Tim Burton but why does he always insisit on using Johnny Depp.  Not that I have anything against him either (he was brilliant in Potc), but he isn't the first actor that comes to mind when I think Barnabas Collins.

daylight

Hey i loved that soap oprea, I watched it everyday almost; it was great. Gald to see it is comming back  ;D

PurpleDragon

Tim Burton??

He's great for things like "A Nightmare Before Christmas", but for live action type things.... I would have chosen someone more stable... 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

CountessofPhoenix

All 2100 episodes of the original series are now available DVD. Chiller showed the 2 movies over the weekend. Gerard Butler would have been great as Barnabas, but as long as the saga continues, I'm excited. Besides, Johny Depp is hot as Captain Jack, imagine him as the long suffering Barnabas.
Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

daylight

I agree Jhonny Depp as a vamp oh yea.  Hey where can i get those dvd`s of the Dark Shadow at do you know where to get them? thanks for any info

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I was a teenager when the original series came on ABC in the mid 60's. I was and remain a huge fan of the series. Maybe Burton will have Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas Collins in the original series in the film???  But I concur about Depp. Clive Owen would have been a good choice as well with his brooding good looks. Even Gerard Butler for that matter.

I would race home from school to watch it, which was around the corner from where I lived in San Jose, Ca.

Damn!!  Now I wished I had bought the book  on the series when I saw it at CONVergence.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Renee Buchanan

I remember watching it as a kid.  Does anyone remember the times someone would walk into the set, and the backdrop would fall over?  I always thought of it as a spoof, because it seems that many times something would go wrong, and you could plainly tell it wasn't in the script.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

CountessofPhoenix

Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

35 years ago at a regional Summer Theater in New Jersey, hubby and I saw the Woody Allen play, PLAT IT AGAIN SAM with Tony Roberts. In it was also Jerry Lacey (Rev. Trask) playing Humphrey Bogart in flashback scenes. Weird that I should remember this.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I was a fan of the original and the TV remake in the 90's with Ben Cross as Barnabus. Sadly it lasted only 1 season, but you can rent it on netflix
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Taffy Saltwater

I first heard this rumor about a year ago - is there any confirmation from the major parties?  I tend to think of Burton & Depp as peanut butter and jelly.  Separately, they're fine; together, a world class production.

Barnabus was my first vamp crush - did I even know why?  And Depp - my joke is that my home is decorated in early Johnny Depp.
Sveethot!

CountessofPhoenix

Reported 8/3/08
Johnny Depp is developing a film based on the '60s daytime supernatural soap Dark Shadows, according to Variety.

. In Interviews, Depp has always said has been obsessed with Dark Shadows and had wanted as a child to be Barnabas Collins, the vampire patriarch of the series. The role was originally played by Jonathan Frid.

Countess of Phoenix
Designer Extraordinaire

Robert Phoenix

Dark Shadows was my first encounter with the horror genere. I even had the Barnabas Collins model. Loved classical horror ever since untill the 80's slasher films.  Hope they do this right and not too over the top.  I still want Barnabas's hooded jacket. Saw it at Bristol one year and I've got the comapany website marked under favorites.   $500.00-700.00 for one of those things so I gotta save up

BrokenArts

Dark Shadows was my introduction to the horror genre as well.  Loved it, I was just a little girl when it first aired.  Scaring the crap out of me!

This is interesting news, I hope they do it *right*.  Some how I doubt it, we'll shall see.  I am intrigued by Depp doing Barnabas.  But why Depp and Burton again?
They just came out with *Sweeney Todd* not too long ago.  Never did see it.

OK, I had to hear this.  Here you go people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey8caGJqus0&feature=related

In going through the videos, the last one I watched was this one.  I guess this is how he became a vampire!  Almost at the end, watch it closely, you'll see a poll suspending the bat, off to the very right top corner of the screen.  OMG, how bad!  I still love it though. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUFOWE8J_A&feature=related

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Watching some of the You Tube videos brings back a lot of memories. Am I geting that much older???

BrokenArts

Unfortunately, I think we all are too.