News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Great Big Sea

Started by Mandrake Von Sets, August 02, 2008, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandrake Von Sets

Has anyone seen this band from Newfoundland live?  I've caught onto them the past couple of years and they're coming to the West Coast in early October.  My wife & I will be getting tickets to see them at San Francisco's Palace of Fine Arts.
Wil

anne of oaktower

I've not seen them live, but I've seen the show on our local PBS channel and have one of their CDs.  I'm sure a live show would be incredible!  Enjoy!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Phillip McGuinness

I'm going to see them next month in Indianapolis. I'm soooo excited!  ;D

Got any ale?

www.drunknsailor.com

stonethrow

I saw them years ago - they do a good show.  I think it would be worth it. 

Robert Phoenix

Swa them last summer in St. Paul.  A really fun band (I've got most of their CD's) and they just released a new CD

TheFerret

I've seen them 3 times and plan to see them again next month. I love them!! They are my most favorite band. They are hilarious on stage. In fact, I saw two shows a week from each other and they were completely different! They love to perform and they love to perform with each other and for their fans.
Ferret
Wench #1486
Bard #245
Sweet Shouter for Seventh Sojourn Soaps
I've got ADOS: Attention Deficit OOOH Shiny!

Lady Caroline

If you haven't already, you should pick up their CD, "Road Rage", it was recorded live. (I usually hate "live" cds) But they really feed off the crowd, and the energy they give off is amazing.  And most of the songs on this one, are very faire-ish and pub-ish :)

*Teach*

I have a ton of their music. Would Love to see them in person some day.

*would even offer rum for the chance*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Professor M

I've seen them three times.  Once at an Irish Festival, where I became an instant fan.  The second time at an all-ages club with my kids, the whole family likes them.  And just a few weeks ago they played at one of the great old restored theaters in downtown Pittsburgh, PA.

They are great high-energy, and high talent, too.  They're a great mix of traditional musicians and serious rockers.  I can't say enough about them.  See them any way you can.  Some of their CD's come with DVDs.  Two of their live CDs have DVDs of the concerts.  Their CD The Hard and the Easy comes with a DVD of them just sitting on the back porch, or the living room, singing traditional songs.  It's all good stuff.

Lady Caroline, if you liked Road Rage you should get Courage & Patience & Grit.  It's an even better live performance, and the DVD comes with the extended concert (several extra songs).
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Robert Phoenix

A bit of an update for GBS.  They released a new CD this year called "Safe Upon the Shore" this year.  Alan also got to play the part of Alan A'Dayle in the Russell Crowe's Robin Hood movie.  Sean has a free MP3 Christmas Song for download on the website.  Great song but I don't know how long it will be up on the main webpage.  Tour dates for Safe Upon the Shore are on the website.

mehan

this thread made us pull an old great big sea dvd off the shelf.  What excellent fun.