News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Men's Pants

Started by Kiss-me-Kate, August 03, 2008, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genasguy

Easiest thing to do is to pick up a darker pair of scrub pants.  Pretty much the same as most of the patterns.  Most have a drawstring waist. Come up to 5xl.
Well, I was there,  and there wasn't much of anybody else there, and well...it just seemed a good idea at the time...

gem

Quote from: genasguy on August 08, 2008, 11:33:43 AM
Easiest thing to do is to pick up a darker pair of scrub pants.

Ok, people keep saying that, but where do ordinary folks get scrubs?  I mean, this isn't something that they just carry *everywhere.*

Trillium

Actually, they carry scrubs at walmart in the womens section (even though they are unisex).
Got faerie dust?

tigerlilly

Quote from: Trillium on August 08, 2008, 04:27:47 PM
Actually, they carry scrubs at walmart in the womens section (even though they are unisex).

I've seen them in Walmart's lingerie dept, sort of with the pajamas.

You could look in the phonebook "uniforms", as well.

gypsylakat

www.uniformadvantage.com is the cheapest i've seen so far (have a sometimes job at a vets office..)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Kiss-me-Kate

Well, my friend helped me finish the pants.  The only thing left to do it hem them, which I can handle myself.

AND I looked at Wally world for the scrubs.  They didn't have his size, but it is good to know it is an option.

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

LadyStitch

I always check the actual finished garment measurements vs what the pattern says. When you are trying something new/complicated I try to make a mock up.

I'm currently making pants for the rogue. If they are too small i may steal them and use them as bloomers.  I mean what person would wear thin white cotton pants through faire?  ;)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Will Gamwell

PS:  You can find scrubs in the Uniform Section at most thrift stores as well.

I have the Simplicity 4059 Men's Renaissance pattern as well.  I plan on making some breeches from the pattern as well as a doublet. 

Erynn

I used the breeches pattern from Simplicity 4059 for myself. I love the way they turned out. Should work well for both men and women.

Lady Caroline

I don't mean to highjack this thread :) But I'm almost finished the jacket from this same pattern 4059.  Can anyone tell me aproximately what year-ish it is supposed to represent?  Thank you!

Will Gamwell

I am not entirely sure, but I do believe that it would be mid to late Renaissance.  Don't have a specific year, sorry.

DragonWing

sorry to jump in here so late.  I found a pair of black lounge pants at K-Mart that I will use for my faire garb. Looks just like the ones you can make.  they were cheap too, around $7.00
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Tim T

I'm working on a pair of pants at the moment using Simplicity 5441- it's a pretty straight forward scrub pant.  I had some grey cotton left over from my pirate coat, and I'm a bit tired of the one and only pair of ren pants I own.  I'm hoping to have them done by this weekend- maybe.

I do have a question.  These pants will only be worn tucked into some sort of tall boot.  I was planning on making them short, which is good, because I don't have quite enough fabric to make them full length if I wanted to.  I'd like to make them reach down to just below the 'meat' of my calf, with some sort of 'something' to keep them from coming out of my boots, or adding a lot of bulk under my boots.  My black ren pants have eyelets and lace that hold them into place, but it's kinda a pain to do(I'm fixing that as well).  I'd like to do something different, and was thinking either simply going with elastic, or maybe a simple tie.  I don't think velcro would work that well- it seems to be difficult to get it to pull tight.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Tim
aka Dark'n M'Crack of Clan M'Crack/Clan White

Wolfden

Tim T:

Here is an incredibly cheap idea and requires no sewing! My ren pants are one-size fits all and about six inches too long. I place an ordinary 3.25 inch rubber band around my calf, roll my pant legs around the rubber band and tuck inside my boots. No need to spend time and effort on part of your garb no one will see. Can't beat the price and it works great.

escherblacksmith

I've done something similar when I didn't have my flashes for my kilt socks, I took a band of some cloth or cloth ribbon and tied it around my calf, then rolled the sock down.  For you, obviously, it would be on the pant leg below the calf and rolled up.
--