News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Nursing While At Faire

Started by FortuneRose, August 04, 2008, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you find it offensive/inappropriate for someone to nurse while at faire?

Yes-always offensive
No-Never offensive
Only if uncovered
OTHER

Ranna

I breastfed my children in public but I never took my kids that young to the fair (but if I had it wouldn't have stopped me from feeding them.  Lacing up that damn bodice can be such a pain though!).  I was modest about it and would throw their cuddle blanket over my shoulder but I was more focus on my kids to notice any looks.  I had a friend one time pitch a fit cause I had to feed my son one day when we were out shopping together.  The next time I her and her boyfriend over I baked them a chocolate cake.  The secret ingredient?

Yep, breast milk.
"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow, finger and squeeze all at the same time." - Anonymous bagpipe player

renniemommy

I have two kids who I breastfed anywhere they were hungry. I worked at faires all over the country and never had a problem, except for a little one weekend show in the DEEP south where the craft coordinator told me "we don't expose our children to that sort of thing, you'll have to use the restrooms" (i.e. the privy!) I was always careful to sit away from crowds and use a blanket to cover but, she had an issue I guess. Luckily, I responded politely, "it is illegal in this state to ask a woman to refrain from breast feeding in public, thank you." I decided not to return to that show the following year. As a roadrennie mom and booth owner, I suggest if you feel uncomfortable in the general public, ask a boothie if you can use their area, most of us are parents and pro-nursing and have no problem giving someone a place to appease a hungry renrat!
moming and renning go together like scotch eggs and mustard

Dinobabe

I don't know about other faires but I seem to remember that Bristol has a mommy room with changing tables, wipes, couches, etc.
I like the family restrooms that I am seeing in some public places now.  That way a mom or dad with a gaggle of kids can use the restroom together, or an elderly couple can help each other out.  I wish more public places would have things like these.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Jademozingo

I voted other, simply because I believe some amount of discression, modesty should be used.  Simply baring yourself in the midst of a crowd is disturbing in our culture.  Now, finding a nice shady spot slightly appart from the crowd would be what I would recomend.  Or even a trip to your car and air conditioning with a cool bottle of water oppertunity to change diaper and so forth.  Possibly even a healthy snack for mommy as well.  Not to mention if I went in garb while nursing I would have had spare blouses and access to these would have been beneficial for me.  Now as this is my first season, and my son decided that he was too busy to nurse at around seven months (being able to check things out while drinking from a bottle was preferable to my curious boy) and he is three now.  I did try to be resonably discreet, department stores were always willing to allow fitting rooms (also good for bottle fed babies that need a quiet spot!), malls have mommy-baby rooms for nursing and changing, restaurants have corner booths.  I never had an issue where I couldn't find somewhere atleast semi-private.  As natural as nursing is, our culture isn't ready for people to be walking around half topless and nursing.  As much as we expect respect for nursing our children, we should respect others as well.  Balance people!

That nursing tent would be a good idea, in my opinion and I could see expanding the idea to include others that need privacy and such (people needing injections for medical reasons, needing a cool place due to medical reasons, baby changing in a comfortable area, etc) add in water (disposable cups, water cooler or something) I would be willing to pay 10 for a weekend for acess simply for diaper changing.

Jade

Gwen aka Punstergal

I'm not nursing anymore (the kiddo's two), but I nursed her at faire and I'll admit, I'm probably a little less discreet than most (still, my darlings BIG head covered up more of my breast than half the costumes I've seen people where at TRF!!)

My rule of thumb was, find somewhere COMFORTABLE. Screw hiding in the loo- it's way to hot and nasty in there, for mommy AND the baby. Get comfy, do your business, don't make a big deal about it, and most folk don't even notice that you're nursing at all. When someone does- smile. Mostly, they keep walking. In the odd case that someone just HAS to stop and ogle, I'd make wisecracks- "Just stopping for a nip, girl's got herself a drinkin' habit she does".
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

HawkMom

I see no problem with nursing in public.  But, the curious stares and the 'freak out' factor makes it very uncomfortable for some women and babies.  One agricultural fair I work at has a 'nursing mothers lounge' next to the womens room and dairy barns (sort of makes sense). 

A friend of ours was telling us that in many countries there are still professional 'wet nurses'.  Women who breast feed many babies during their lifetime that are not their own.  His wife was from a Southeastern Asian country (I don't remember which) and her mother was a wet nurse for years.  Advantages to mom as well as babies:  Works as a contraceptive (well most of the time), and my favorite side effect:  NO MENSTRUAL CYCLES!!!

A New England friend of mine told me she loved nursing her son until about 2.5 years of age.  She loved the closeness, the convienence, and best of all no f****ng periods!!!   She had to quit when her son got into the terrible twos and would not take no for an answer for a request for 'mommy milk' during a dinner party.  Her son, being a typical two year old tore her shirt open saying "I WANT MILK NOW!!!". So, he was immediately weaned. 
The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

dbaldock

While not at faire, there was a young mother nursing her infant son in the cafe at Fry's Electronics (near NASA) here in Houston a couple of weeks ago.  She was over in one corner with a baby blanket over her shoulder covering the baby while he had lunch.  Then she put him in his car-seat/carrier in the shopping basket and continued her shopping.  All very low key and relaxed, and nobody seemed to be paying any attention.  I wouldn't have noticed if I had just been walking through the cafe, but I was sitting in the opposite corner eating lunch and happened to be looking around at the other customers.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

FortuneRose

Thank you all for your responses.  This year we won't have the nursing factor as my son decided he was no longer interested at 13 months (now 18 months) but I did nurse him last year.  Most of the time I just found a shaded tree to sit under and actually used a large skirt that I didn't want to wear layered any longer and kind of tented us a bit.  Not enough to fully cover his body because, good blazes, it was hot! Just enough to give us both a bit of privacy.  Other times I did walk with him cradled and just used a very light lace-like receiving blanket to cover part of my shoulder. 

After having dealt with this subject, I still feel the same as before....  If you don't want to see me nurse my child... turn your head and find another pair of tatas without a child attached to stare at (cause lord knows, there are TONS of them at the festival and many are more distracting than my child adorned ones)   This is not to say I am telling women to run around with their top completely off or any such nature, but if you don't want to use a blanket, so be it.  I understand, its HOT!   I think I also felt more comfortable because I had my hubby with me and it wouldn't have been wise for a drunken person (or otherwise) to oogle with him around.

Thanks again, guys, for all your responses though.
LLVW

THELADYKAT

Reading this helps cause My little one is due in August and I will be taking him to fair TRF and I will be Nursing him. Thankfully I know people with shops and places I could go and sit with the little one.
The Lady Kat.

Love with all your Heart, not just part of it.

THELADYKAT

I breastfeed him at TRF and I will do it again at Scarby
The Lady Kat.

THELADYKAT

well Scarby went good and now TRF is coming back up and i am still nursing him this should be fun :)
The Lady Kat.

LadyFae

Labor Day weekend at MNRF I ended up nursing the baby a few times.  I made my nobles gown this year to easily hook and unhook in the front for ease of access (thought one day I boosted the girls up enough that all I had to do was pull down my chemise a bit, but I digress.)  I found a nice flat rock to sit on a couple of the times and covered her a bit with my hanging sleeves.  Worked perfectly.  =)  I did see one gal nursing her son as she walked around with her group.  I am pretty sure most people didn't have a clue that she was breastfeeding- it just looked like the baby was sleeping.  I've done that in the past so I'm all for doing whatever you need to and whatever works!  =D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

THELADYKAT

I nursed him at scarby and almost everyone thought that he was asleep so if you know how to wear them the right way you can get away with it and no one knows and still do what you need to do.
The Lady Kat.

Becky10

As my sociology professor says "milk producing, life sustaining breasts!"  

That's what they're there for and I dont see why mothers should hide in uncomfortable corners or in bathrooms (no way!) because they've been hyper-sexualized by wiggy individuals, especially at faire where it seems just about everyone has everything hanging out. Some people just need to get their perspectives straightened out. I don't have kids and don't really want them but fully respect  and understand nursing mothers.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

LadyFae

Thank you Becky.  I love when non-parents understand!  =) 
LadyKat- I know exactly what you mean!  I've nursed my girls while walking through Target many a time and SO many times people want to come see the sleeping baby!  Even then some haven't realized what was REALLY going on!  LOL!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"