News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

CRF in Rocky Mountain News

Started by pktaxwench, July 28, 2008, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

I'm kind of surprised that the guy in question in the article was allowed to talk to the journalist at all, specifically about the way the faire management runs things.  I know at Elitches you (employees) are not allowed to talk to the media at all.  Because, who knows what someone might tell the media and potentially make the company look bad.  Weird.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Awen

Quote from: Zoë on August 01, 2008, 12:26:43 AM
I'm kind of surprised that the guy in question in the article was allowed to talk to the journalist at all, specifically about the way the faire management runs things.  I know at Elitches you (employees) are not allowed to talk to the media at all.  Because, who knows what someone might tell the media and potentially make the company look bad.  Weird.

Speaking as a reporter, we generally can talk to anyone who is willing to talk to us - it's not a matter of who we've allowed to talk to. It's a risk the person being interviewed takes...Elitch's may have a rule in its employee handbook, or a requirement that employees sign an agreement not to talk to the press. No such thing at Larkspur, and if you'll recall, Jr. talked to the reporter for the article as well.

Zoë

Yeah, but on the other hand, Jr. is....Jr., haha.  He's more in that "upper circle" of management, you know what I mean?  He's not like the average seasonal employee. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Adriana Rose

Jr. is one of the bosses.

And if you look at the comments again what's his name posted a long winded why he did it. I really dont care that he feels that there is a wrong being done but business is business and if the idot wants to bite the hands that feed him let him do it.

CapnJack

So... I haven't been around the boards for a while... and I guess it goes to show just how out-of-touch I've been lately, but I didn't even notice any of this.  I heard the word "Sheeple" for the first time a couple weeks ago, and then discovered it was in regards to some dumb article, but that's about as far as my understanding goes.

Firstly, I'd like to point out that I didn't have the patience to actually read the entire article.  Most of it seemed to be whimsical twaddlespeak in the end, so I just skimmed it.  And after that, I have to say, what's the big deal?  I mean, altogether it's not "accurate," but then, it was pretty much presented as primarily one person's (or two, if you count the author) point of view.

The only thing that slightly irked me was the bit about the "pecking order."  It implied that actors such as myself not only aren't "committed" to the "lifestyle," but also basically don't do anything at all.  And though some actors could seriously use a lesson in interaction, most of us work our paychecks off trying to "bring the faire to life."  But to be quite honest, I think to some people that heirarchy really exists.  Probably not quite as defined by this article, but we all have to admit to classifying people in similar ways, once in a while.

I dunno, untimately I just wasn't all that bothered by it.  It certainly wasn't one of the best pieces of journalism I've ever read (or skimmed ;)), and I doubt it really made much of an impact on the community at large (barring our community, that is).  And what's more, most of it really was presented in an farily positive light, although perhaps more than a little fantastical.

Anyway, that's just my two pence, without actually reading anyone else's response (hey, I'm lazy, I admit it).

Oh, and as for "sheeple," even though I'd never heard that term three weeks ago, I have to admit that they exist.  They're the ones who approach me and say things like "That's not your actual hair, is it," or "what to you do in real life?" or at the worst, "You've got to have the lamest job ever."  I'm sorry, I have very little patience for them, so perhaps it's not surprise that this passage, "...Clueless tourists with no imagination and scant capacity for theatrical projection, who have apparently wandered onto the Fair site looking for a turkey 'legge.'" really made me laugh.
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Demetrius

Quote from: CapnJack on August 06, 2008, 04:37:42 PM

Firstly, I'd like to point out that I didn't have the patience to actually read the entire article. 
The only thing that slightly irked me was the bit about the "pecking order."  It implied that actors such as myself not only aren't "committed" to the "lifestyle," but also basically don't do anything at all. 
I dunno, untimately I just wasn't all that bothered by it.  It certainly wasn't one of the best pieces of journalism I've ever read (or skimmed ;)), and I doubt it really made much of an impact on the community at large (barring our community, that is).  And what's more, most of it really was presented in an farily positive light, although perhaps more than a little fantastical.

Anyway, that's just my two pence, without actually reading anyone else's response (hey, I'm lazy, I admit it).

Oh, and as for "sheeple," even though I'd never heard that term three weeks ago, I have to admit that they exist.  They're the ones who approach me and say things like "That's not your actual hair, is it," or "what to you do in real life?" or at the worst, "You've got to have the lamest job ever."  I'm sorry, I have very little patience for them, so perhaps it's not surprise that this passage, "...Clueless tourists with no imagination and scant capacity for theatrical projection, who have apparently wandered onto the Fair site looking for a turkey 'legge.'" really made me laugh.

On a more serious note: I showed your post here to my Mother, Helen, and she said, "Well he should at least read your posts since you spent so much of your wonderful time writing them."

Really- my Mom talks like that. Anyway, I counted a grand total of three "clueless tourists" last weekend and one of them did have pizza. My point here- I can kind of see your point even though you are wrong. Anyway, I am glad to see someone thought at least part of the article  was funny. 

If you were, in fact, impatient with customers- be they sun zombies or no- you did a great job of not showing it. So now it is on the internets for the whole of the world to see. To be honest with you (something I do all the time) I got a little tired of people asking me "Do you have turkey legs?" No, I don't have turkey legs, thank you.

BTW, have you announced your new character yet?  Lloyd, time travelour from future world...    (that was you, right?)  
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

CapnJack

Heh, well now I'm just thoroughly confused...
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Aislynn

Quote from: Demetrius on August 07, 2008, 01:56:18 AM

BTW, have you announced your new character yet?  Lloyd, time travelour from future world...    (that was you, right?)  

Lol! Thats brilliant! It would be hilarious. So of course it would never be allowed. :)

Nixie

Quote from: Demetrius on August 07, 2008, 01:56:18 AM
To be honest with you (something I do all the time) I got a little tired of people asking me "Do you have turkey legs?" No, I don't have turkey legs, thank you.

I'd much prefer having chicken legs to turkey.

I am also fairly sure mine may look a bit more emu-ish.