News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for a modern renaissance song for wedding "first dance"

Started by racingfan, July 23, 2008, 10:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racingfan

I'm getting married in a little over a year and we're going with a medieval/renaissance theme. I'm hoping to find a nice modern song for the first dance that goes with the theme. I'm looking for something with castle imagery or knights, etc. Does anyone have suggestions? I love Blackmore's Night, but haven't found any songs by them that have clicked as a "right" first dance song yet. Our first choice now is "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera. But I want to be sure I'm not missing one. Open to any and all ideas! Thanks much!

Lady Renee Buchanan

It doesn't have a knight or castle theme, but Beggars to God is a lovely song.  Jessie Linder (Jock Stewart at the Bristol RF) has the song on one of his CDs, but I'm sure others have recorded it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Morgan Dreadlocke

A pair of Moody Blues songs come to mind-
"For My Lady", a soft rock ballad and "Are You Sitting Comfortably", which has a most definite slow etherical medieval theme.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

AnyuBoo

There are a number of Loreena McKennitt songs that might be good.  They don't really evoke images of castles and knights, but you might still like them.  Another possible choice is Andre Rieu.  He and his orchestra have a lot of songs which were intended to be romantic.
On the more modern front, Elton John's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" is one of my personal favourites, as is "My Only Love" from (of all things) the Sailor Moon soundtrack.  :)
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Poldugarian Warrior

I too thought of Blackmore's Night right away. I ask this question though. What do you wish your wedding party guests to be feeling and doing at the beginning or start of your reception/party as the first dance goes on. Do you want to get them riled up for a full night of revelry or sort of start out slow with a love song of sorts? This should influence your choice of song a bit. How's about these:

The Who "Join Together"

Styx "Lady"

Joe Cocker "You Are So Beautiful"

Blackmore's Night "Cartouche" sounds upbeat, but not sure if lyrical content appropriate for a wedding unless it is Wiccan. It's a good song though other wise.
Mr. Peagram's Morris and Sword is a good instrumental.
All For One is rockin and it'll get evryone to their feet.

I don't have too many soft listening albums, these are as soft as I get, unless I get my classical cds or Celtic or faire.

Hope these help a little, let us all know what you did pick.

racingfan

I'm hoping to find a nice slow ballad for the first dance. We're not dancers by any stretch of the imagination, so I think something upbeat would be a disaster lol. I guess I'm just hoping there's a romantic ballad out there, along the lines of Peter Cetera's Glory of Love, that has fairytale, knights, castles, etc. imagery...

Poldugarian Warrior

Right on. I can understand not evry one being great dancers I'm no dancer myself. Maybe even go with a Renaissance sounding instrumental slow dance. That may work. or I thought of another since most of us whom enjoy the renaissance have garb of leather or lace. The title song Leather and Lace by Fleetwood Mac. I'm sure you'll find a good one thought.

Lady Neysa

Why not start with a nice slow song, one that you feel epitomizes your love, and then transition right into something more fast paced to set the tone for the rest of the celebration?  "Once in a Million Years" by Blackmore's Night is a nice, slow, romantic song.
"Then once in a million years
A shining white knight will appear
Fairytales are coming true
I promise my heart only to you..."

Poldugarian Warrior

Never heard that one, but then again I only own two Blackmore's Night CDs, Ghost of a Rose and Shadow of The Moon. It's probably a good one no doubt. I haven't found one song of their's that I don't like, but then again I'm a big Deep Purple and Rainbow fan so anythin by Richie is great.

Lady Neysa

Here's the awesome music video to the song. Pay attention to the ending, it's great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VkNVpzkjc

Here are the complete lyrics:

Once in a Million Years

October reminds me of my home
The cold nights I would wait all alone
Watching leaves turning from green to gold...
The waiting feels like eternity
When waiting for love to come to me
Someone to have, someone to hold...
Then once in a million years
A shining white knight will appear
Fairytales are coming true
I promise my heart only to you...
A castle stands upon a hill
Our eyes meet and time is standing still
Your smile warmed me like the first summer sun
There's color where once was black and white
There's moonbeams where there was only night
I knew then and there you were the one...

Poldugarian Warrior

So basically even though Richie's always dressed in black he's Candice's white knight. That's what i got from the ending of the video. Well, done video I must say. Thanks for sharing.

lowlandscot

This doesn't really fit in with knights/castles imagery, but I can't let a call for a wedding ballad go by without mentioning Sting's hauntingly lovely "Fields of Gold" from the 1993 CD "Ten Summoner's Tales." It has a real renaissance feel, and the lyrics are perfect for a wedding reception.