News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Traveling a distance with garb and stuff

Started by Dallan, August 05, 2008, 10:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallan

Two years ago we started traveling outside of MD to attend other faires. So far all the faires we've been to have been driving distance of no more than 7 hours. Anything more than that and either the kids would kill each other or we would kill the kids. We are considering in the future Arizona and Minnesota. My question is this. How does one get all of the garb to the destination? We usually where different garb on Saturday and Sunday. Between clothes, boots, weapons, etc it's a lot of stuff. Does anyone have experience with this? Driving to Arizona or Minnesota just isn't an option.
Fight'n

PurpleDragon

I recommend the following;

Get yourself a "Contico" type container, they are lockable, and durable when traveling.  They travel well in the airplane when checked, and can easily be packed with all necessary items for faire.  I have one for Garb for Faire, and one for gear for paintball. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Blushing

Depending on how many suitcases you would be checking for your whole family, which airline you are flying and how far in advance you plan, it may make sense to ship the bulk of your faire goodies via UPS or one of the other big shippers.  Most airlines are charging now for bags, and many hotels will hold packages if you arrange for it ahead of time.

And I also cut back. Much as I'd like to take ALL my options to a weekend faire far from home, sometimes it just won't fit into whatever suitcase I'm limiting it too!  Although I do wear my hat - pirate with feathers or flowery wench, through security and on the plane.  (of course, with all the metal favors it goes through x-ray machine).
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Dallan

We ARE chronic over packers!

Good sugestions both, thanks.
Fight'n

Dayna

Imagine yourself naked.  Now dress yourself from toes to head, and as you pick it up, pack it.

Boots, SocksXdays, undiesXdays, pants/skirtXdays, etc.  You get one outfit per day, extra points if you double up (same underskirt both days).  Pick an outfit and go, it's more important to have 1 of everything you need than to have 3 doublet options but No Pants!!!

I can fit 3 days worth of everything into a medium bag as long as I don't go noble.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Adriana Rose

I know that there are alot of people that ship their garb to the hotel that they are staying at. That way you dont run the risk of loosing your garb in the airport!

Just pack up the garb in a tote and ship it!

Naween

Roll your stuff. It packs tighter into a suitcase. I bought a few hundred dollars worth of stuff when backpacking europe, and it does help. Also, don't also yourself a "In case...." outfit - it just adds to the pile of stuff and you likely won't wear it. Bring layers or sleeves and such that you can tie on/off, but tell yourself and the kids to pick their favorite, and wear it the whole weekend.

...I'm from Canada, and our little 2000 Honda Civic has NO trunk space. Great car, good gas mileage, but NO storage space. And the Border Guards think your nuts when you're car is stuffed to the nines with a wedding crinoline in the back and your only two people.
Oh, and another tip: Try to finish garb before you leave.....having to bring the sewing machine and extra fabric "just in case" really adds to the pile, lol!