News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tudor/Elizabethan Corset

Started by Raelyn Fey, October 28, 2015, 02:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raelyn Fey

I am buying a dress for next year's faire. I'm unable to buy a very authentic gown, but found one that that I like that I can afford. However, I do want to give it a more authentic shape. I need to find a corset to go under the bodice. I'm not sure where to start and I don't have $200-300+ to buy one from Etsy or the more expensive shops. I know it's an important part of garb, but I am in a bind when it comes to money. Does anyone have any sellers/websites/ideas? I'm looking for a strapless version if possible or very thin straps. The sleeves of the dress are detachable and I may or may not be wearing them all the time, so I don't want my corset straps showing

I'd like something like this. This exact corset is over $300 and out of my range, but it's the style I'd prefer

Raelyn Fey

I found this. It's not tabbed or anything, but would it do the job?

Very Merry Seamstress Basic

gem

The owner of VMS was a forum member here ages ago, and AFAIK, her work is still very well regarded. IMO, that piece has a nice period shape.

...That said, make sure that the gown you're buying is designed to be worn with a pair of bodies/corset. It can and will dramatically change the way the bodice fits (or even IF it fits; an Elizabethan corset will generally *increase* your measurements overall, esp. the waist, but may well *decrease* your bust... and the way that changes the shape of your torso is reflected in the fit and shaping of the gown bodice). Even something as seemingly simple as where the lacing opening is, or whether you lace bottom-to-top or top-to-bottom can radically alter the fit and comfort of the garment worn over it.

Raelyn Fey

The bodice I'm getting is side lacing. Like I said, it's not at all period accurate, but is more inspired. I assume it can be worn with the proper undergarments, but yes it will change the measurements. The gown was on sale, so I went ahead and bought it. When/If I get corset I will need to buy another bodice which can be purchased separately. That will need different measurements to make sure it fits with the corset. I'm just trying to get an idea of what would work and not be super expensive. Thanks for your input!