News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

TRF 2015 Critque

Started by KeeperoftheBar, November 30, 2015, 07:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeeperoftheBar

The 2015 season is now over.  What did you like and dislike this year.  Please, only things that can be controlled.  The weather was too often miserable but what can we do but go and get wet?

I liked many things.  The food was great but the prices were at airport or sport stadium levels.  Rapidly approaching the point of packing a lunch.

Loved the Florence Market after I finally discovered it.  It might be better if the little shops were not all in one area but instead scattered through out the village.  Many of the hand made wares were truly fantastic.  One shop that disappointed me sold posters.  In the front, to draw people in, was a large STAR WARS poster.  Come on, this is a ren festival.  Keep that sort of item in the back and out of direct site.

Opening weekend the paths and roads were a little potholed.  This is always a danger when riding StudMuffin as he tips fairly easily.  I was very pleased to see that most of them had been filled in by Celtic Christmas.   Good job, Grounds Keepers.

About my biggest disappointment was with the script the cast was saddled with for opening ceremonies.  I saw (or tried to see) three of the eight and all I can say is boring and predictable.  My own personal opinion is that they are getting too far away from their historical roots, but many may disagree with me.  I particlularly disliked the character which can best be described as a "time traveler".  Not really sure what the point was but he rubbed me the wrong way.

However, over all, I had a wonderful time.  The grounds were lovely, the village expanding, the cast in the lanes, extremely entertaining (when they could be found) And the shops, inviting.  StudMuffin and I will return next season and are already anticipating opening day.

What did you think?
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

My problem with the Florence Market is the missing island of peace & quiet.  The clamor of the rest of faire kind of faded away when walking through that area and it allowed one to catch their breath.  The Magic Garden is cool and all...when you don't have people smoking meth, back in there(yes, I've seen it more than once)...it can give you some P & Q but it's all the way at the back.  I know it's a business but sucking up all the "green spaces" isn't such a good thing.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Awilda Rider

I didn't mind the addition of the Florence area. For most of us repeat offenders, we know all of the current shops, and it was a pleasant addition for those of us looking for something new. I have heard many complaints about pricing, campground theft, people swearing that the magic of TRF is gone. I only get to go one weekend each year, so if I ignore the complaints, it will always be my happy place. I want to make the most of it- sitting at the Sea Devil all day doesn't work for me. I enjoy the rainy days because it isn't as crowded. I love the fact that there are a lot of patrons that choose to dress- my home Faire at LARF only gets about 20% to garb up. I always enjoy bringing virgins to Faire because it lets you see things through a new set of eyes. I am looking forward to next year!
Are we FAIRE yet?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Awilda Rider on November 30, 2015, 12:05:18 PM
I didn't mind the addition of the Florence area. For most of us repeat offenders, we know all of the current shops, and it was a pleasant addition for those of us looking for something new. I have heard many complaints about pricing, campground theft, people swearing that the magic of TRF is gone. I only get to go one weekend each year, so if I ignore the complaints, it will always be my happy place. I want to make the most of it- sitting at the Sea Devil all day doesn't work for me. I enjoy the rainy days because it isn't as crowded. I love the fact that there are a lot of patrons that choose to dress- my home Faire at LARF only gets about 20% to garb up. I always enjoy bringing virgins to Faire because it lets you see things through a new set of eyes. I am looking forward to next year!

I love that you're so upbeat.  :D

TRF holds a very special place in my heart...going there got me through some rough times and I expect that it will again.  Things change and generally people don't like change.  Breandan talked about "The Cycles" that TRF goes through...just like the seasons, there has to be a Fall and a Winter before Spring can come again and I do believe that to be true.  ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Trillium

TRF will always be special to me also.  I've been going for around 25 years and have seen huge changes through the years.  Some things leave me scratching my head - sometimes they disappear, sometimes they stay in place.  ???  I rarely get to faire more than twice a season (if I'm lucky and the gods smile on me!), so I make the best of it.  I enjoyed the new shops to explore.  Honestly, many of the shops I don't look in anymore unless I'm looking for something particular (or the rare occasion that I have extra money to spend).  An infusion of new blood spawns more interest.  Hopefully the new vendors will have the opportunity to expand and make the area look more period.  I do miss the wide green spaces but they have been slowing diminishing for years.  It is a business after all and money must be made to keep the doors open.  This year was a bit of a bummer, but for personal reasons.  I can't wait for next year to try again and hopefully make it to Sherwood also!!
Got faerie dust?

Fenster

I agree about Dr. Who on cast, how does that fit at all with a renfest?  Too many shops crammed into the Florence area IMO, felt a bit like a shanty town.  A lot of overly aggressive hawkers.  Here's a tip when hawking: never physically touch or block the path of a patron.  Be funny or entertaining and they will come to your shop if they are interested. Food prices are ridiculously high.

I still love the shows and people, maybe shake up the locations a bit?  Tried the fried oreos for the first time this year and umm yum!

scarletnyx

Alex and I found a African vendor at the Florence Market that we love! She's making him a mudcloth tunic ( as soon as we can find her info... ) though she did say she didn't know if she would be back since she wasn't making a lot and something about fees maybe?

I sorta understood Dr. Who on cast, but then I didn't. I'm fine with them walking around faire, but to be on cast is a little bit of a stretch.

Prices were up, which sucked, but I understand it. We just didn't eat as many meals, which kinda bummed me out.

I didn't see the plays/storyline, but if it was anything like last years I could see where they're getting away from their historical roots.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Breandan

Rather than voice criticism, I shall instead voice suggestions-

1) break out and repair or replace the hamster-wheel crane that is mouldering in the Bone Yard and bring back the quarry or similar to the Industrial section. This would be a huge hit for school days and be educational as hell to show how cranes worked historically. I will happily man the thing, both to contribute the power of my treetrunk legs for the faire and because it's the best lower body exercise and weight loss program I can think of :-D

2) bring back Da Vinci and a lot of the other acts and shows that were retired ten or more years ago to replace currently stale acts or shows. An entire generation has been born and raised to adulthood never having seen some of those acts, and it will help shake things up in a good way.

3) thin out Florence a bit to give it some breathing room. This is one of the biggest complaints I have heard, so that will help a lot.

4) lastly, part of what made faire so enthralling for me was the feel of stepping into a renaissance village with a touch of magic and fantasy, and what pried my wallet open were the artisans. Jury out some of the mass produced junk vendors and court artisans to bring their wares back in.

Just a few suggestions from someone who's been out there for 27 years :-)
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

Hector_

I loved the natural juice booth at the Florence Market!!  Definitely helped rehydrate after a good walk around Friday night!!  Prices were very affordable and very simple concept... natural, freshly squeezed juice.