News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sewing 101 topics

Started by silverstah, December 02, 2015, 02:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverstah

Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Trillium

A lot of newbies find reading/using patterns confusing.

(ETA now that I'm not on my cell ::))  To be honest...not just newbies.  I find myself reading and re-reading instructions and staring at the pattern trying to make sense of it...then walk away and come back later... :o

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Got faerie dust?

gem

I love the catch-stitch, too. It's also a great (and accurate for some periods) technique for finishing seam allowances--I tacked down *miles* of them on an 18th c. quilted petticoat I made this summer. For whatever reason, though, it's one of those ones I have to relearn every time I sit down to do it--which is pretty often, considering--and it's one I can *never* figure out how to do in embroidery! And a closed herringbone? Egads...

There must be something in the air at the moment; there's been a slew of discussions on beginners and basic sewing skills on Pattern Review right now, too. Laura, I know you do a lot of different types of sewing--are you thinking general sewing knowledge, historical techniques, whatever strikes your fancy?

Lady Rosalind

That cross-stitch hem would have come in really handy a few weeks ago! The hem to a suit coat sleeve that I needed to alter back to its original length was done in that stitch, and I just couldn't figure out how to get the flow of it. I ended up doing a blind stitch super carefully to get it to look right on the outside.

Great idea to get this up and going!